“History of Alexandria” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lyceum

The Lyceum
201 S. Washington St, Alexandria, VA 22314 (Old Town)
703/838-4994
Washington DC
7 attraction reviews
“History of Alexandria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Lyceum is a great place to see many photos of what Alexandria looked like back in the old days. I love to compare the pictures with what it looks like today. This is a must stop before you leave the city.

Visited May 2013

3 attraction reviews
“Local History Museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Good display on Alexandria during the Civil War that brings the history to life. Good activity sheet for kids too.

Visited February 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
“Beautiful building, average museum”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The building itself is so impressive, and I was eager to visit it, but have to say the museum itself isn't so very impressive. Parts of it were closed when we were there, and I really wouldn't consider returning.

Visited September 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
37 attraction reviews
“Worth the Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have been to Alexandria many times but had never been into the Lyceum until this visit and it is a small gem. It has some very intersting history to share.

Visited January 2013
York, Pennsylvania
7 attraction reviews
“Poe in Alexandria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Ten years ago I went to see David Keltz in the Hershey Hotel. It was a haunting and spectacular day as we snacked on finger foods and Hershey's gourmet versions of their wonderful treats. Every table was set up with a raven on a branch and the dim lighting and ambiance played it's own part in his stunning rendition of the Raven!! When I saw that Poe would be portrayed in the Lyceum in Alexandria for only $15.00 I just had to attend. The town of Alexandria alone captivated me, and the Lyceum was filled with war memorabilia eye candy that made this visit worth the commute. I will be back to Alexandria without a doubt, "old town" fascinated me, the shops, the art ,decor was intoxicating!!! I had an amazing night, I would highly recommend.

Visited November 2012