“Beautiful building, average museum” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Lyceum

The Lyceum
201 S. Washington St, Alexandria, VA 22314 (Old Town)
Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 67 things to do in Alexandria
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Beautiful building, average museum”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The building itself is so impressive, and I was eager to visit it, but have to say the museum itself isn't so very impressive. Parts of it were closed when we were there, and I really wouldn't consider returning.

Visited September 2012

53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Worth the Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have been to Alexandria many times but had never been into the Lyceum until this visit and it is a small gem. It has some very intersting history to share.

Visited January 2013
York, Pennsylvania
7 attraction reviews
“Poe in Alexandria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Ten years ago I went to see David Keltz in the Hershey Hotel. It was a haunting and spectacular day as we snacked on finger foods and Hershey's gourmet versions of their wonderful treats. Every table was set up with a raven on a branch and the dim lighting and ambiance played it's own part in his stunning rendition of the Raven!! When I saw that Poe would be portrayed in the Lyceum in Alexandria for only $15.00 I just had to attend. The town of Alexandria alone captivated me, and the Lyceum was filled with war memorabilia eye candy that made this visit worth the commute. I will be back to Alexandria without a doubt, "old town" fascinated me, the shops, the art ,decor was intoxicating!!! I had an amazing night, I would highly recommend.

Visited November 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1,310 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,210 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We wanted to visit this museum to learn more about Alexandria.
It's located in a nice area with some beautiful buildings as the court house.
It has interestings stories about the brutality of slavery and segregation. One of those stories is about Fanny Jackson jailed in washington because she was claimed by one Asa Buckner of Loudon, VA. She was sold for "her jail fees as a slave for life".
I also learned that the largest slave - trading company in the US was the Franklin & Armfield based in Virginia.
You can find some information about the beginning of the city and it shows the most relevant facts occurred in Alexandria.
The museum is very simple. It deserves a short visit specially during the summer to avoid the highs temperatures for a while.
The suggested donation is $2 per person.

Visited July 2012
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“A total overlooked gem in historic Old Town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

I had the occasion to visit the Lyceum this week and was reminded that it has a lot to offer in the way of local history. Alexandria was at one time, included in the District of Columbia. We shared our early history and had some pivotal roles at various times since the colonial days.

Lots of interesting artifacts are displayed in a lovely building that has been preserved over time. Their is a nice gift store for unusually interesting and relevant offerings. The Lyceum is off the beaten (King Street) path by two blocks on South Washington Street.

Civl War and War of 1812 are prominent exhibits in the coming year. There is a small fee for access $2.00.

Visited June 2012