“Not accommodating for large groups or creative when trying to buy wine for someone.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of River Bend Bistro

Dining options: Reservations
Alexandria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Two disappointing encounters.
Tried to buy a bottle of wine for friends going to River Bend that evening. The manager would not even take down a name to try to accommodate our request.
Second encounter. Seven friends celebrating a birthday. Manager would not consider putting tables together to accommodate us even though there were four empty four-tops & one empty two-top. The owner explained it was because of his concern for splitting the waiters' earnings????

Visited November 2013

Alexandria, Virginia
“River Bend Bistro, Hollin Hall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I’ve been to the River Bend Bistro in Hollin Hall four times in the past two weeks. I am so happy to have such a nice restaurant in our locality. The food has always been excellent and the only hiccup was in the service with a new waiter one time who worked extremely hard to please us….it will just take time.
Among my favorites is the Potato & Leek soup, Pate, Duck Confit, Rockfish and the creamy Cotswald Mac & Cheese !
I think we are so fortunate to finally have a quality establishment that can deliver the goods….THANKS FOR COMING TO HOLLIN HALL RIVER BEND BISTRO !!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Gyor, Hungary
“Don't take your friends”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Don't take your friends if you expect to have a conversation. River Bend looks very trendy but every surface in the dining room bounces and amplifies sound. Once the room with an open bar is half full, one must shout to be heard. So, go and enjoy a very interesting menu of nicely presented food without expecting to chat with your companions. The grilled flat breads are tasty, and big enough to split as appetizers. The crab flan is especially good. They offer a thoughtful wine list. Service is awkward; servers are not well trained and do not pay attention to diners.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC
“After waiting almost two years what a huge letdown”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Once again I wonder if the reviewers and I ate at the same restaurant. We had been looking forward to this restaurant opening for more than a year - what a disappointment and waste of space. Atmosphere is cheap for lack of a better word. Nice exposed brick wall and small but nice bar space but it truly ends there. Server could not answer the simplest question ... is there any shellfish cooked hereI? He just didn't get it. I'm allergic and when I get this response have to be very careful. So I ordered the warm spinach salad with dressing on the side. Turns out they warm the cheese in olive oil (which I avoid) and than pour it over the salad. I could have had vinegar on the side and do without the cheese ... or?? Cancel that idea. I ordered potato leek soup. I love potato leek soup - it's simple, filling and delicious. What I got was gray/green glop reminiscent of wallpaper paste and served tepid. I was done after a few spoonfuls - it was foul and I am being kind here as were the people at the table next to me who ordered it too. Did the waiter notice that it wasn't eaten but that he was asked to remove it? No...he just took it away while my lunch mate proceeded to eat. Thankfully she said her food was "tasty" not exceptional but tasty. A flaky salmon on a bed of warm lentils. I've never been anywhere that did not even offer bread for purchase when they offer entrees and soup and salad but River Bend does not. Soup is served alone and looks forlorn. That in itself should be a warning. I won't go back you can bet on that and If I could give River Bend less than one star, I would. A waste of space and a waste of my time. I still had to have lunch when I got home.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
northern virginia
“Great Addition”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Just 9 days into a soft opening, River Bend Bistro is already a very welcome addition to the Mt Vernon dining scene. It was crowded on a Wed night even though they have not had a grand opening yet. We look forward to going back soon to explore the rest of the menu.

Co-owner Chef Carol clearly knows how to please! With a few tweaks to the "front-of-house" this Bistro will be a welcome part of the neighborhood. So some comments: first it took a long time to be greeted at the table and for our drinks to arrive. Unfortunately the sparkling wine was served in white wine glasses. The waiter was friendly and polished but the young runners look like deer in headlights - not knowing what to do next. Our pate appetizer (actually off a very tempting bar menu) was a generous portion of goodness and a great value. The crab flan was tasty but a bit under-seasoned; the crab was sweet and plentiful but I found myself picking out fairly large pieces of shell. Our entrees were delivered exactly as my wife finished her appetizer...'nuff said! We had the mac and cheese and sweetbreads. The Mac & Cheese was too die for - creamy & cheesy in a good way but as a main course needed something more on the plate. The sweetbreads (a decidedly acquired taste) were expertly prepared and delicious.

This is not a place to take the kids nor is it a spur-of -the moment / I don't feel like cooking kind of joint. Depending on how much you drink and how many courses you order, the bill could easily be $100 per couple. But it is a great place to wind down with a glass of wine and tasty meal after a hard day. Every new restaurant needs a few weeks to get the kinks out and we're confident River Bend Bistro will work on these nits. Now if they could only turn the volume down a bit on the noise level...

• Visited October 2013