“Excellent Quality of Food. Friendly Service.” 5 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Nickell's & Scheffler
1028 King St, Alexandria, VA 22314-2923 (Old Town)
703-549-5545
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #375 of 647 restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American, Coffee Shop, Delicatessen
Neighborhood: Old Town
Neighborhood: Old Town
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent Quality of Food. Friendly Service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Susan and Louie, the owners, prepare excellent, fresh food. They take great pride in their preparation and freshness and the prepare specials each day. You can stop by and get take out for prepared dinners for one or two, which are excellent. The sandwiches are fresh, the meat is fresh, and they are made to order. Her soups are very good as are her salads. I've never had a bad meal there and there's always a smile for you when you go through the front door. It's a small place, so get there early for lunch, or get take out. Or stop by on the way home and grab your dinner.

Visited June 2012

90% Recommend
El Paso, Texas
“Just delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I had only an hour in Alexandria between a conference and my shuttle to the airport so I didn't even have time to sit down at a restaurant and I can't stand fast food. I went into Nickell's & Scheffler, a little home cooked food shop, and bought up a rather wide selection of their treats to take with me on my long trip home. I lunched on their chipotle hummus - perfectly spicy and hummus-y! Then waiting for my place, I dined on their crab cakes: perfect! with a slightly spicy sauce, yum. Dessert was a gluten-free brownie, the richest morsel I've even had - got to get that recipe. So rich it took me several hours to eat just one. Then my flight got diverted and voila, I had a slice of Nickell's & Scheffler's artichoke quiche to snack on since I wasn't going to be getting home anytime soon. Fantastic. Finally got home, and had a piece of their apple pie. The best next to Mom's! Thick with apples, great crust, perfectly spicy with just the right amount of cinnamon. For breakfast back at home, I had the crustless quiche, also delicious. So Nickell's & Scheffler saw me happily through several meals on a 12-hour trip (some of those treats were supposed to make it home but didn't).
If you are going on a picnic or a bike ride to Mt Vernon, or if you want a deliciuos eat in meal, or just want to stay away from fast food, be sure to stop here and pick up your lunch or dinner. There are so many delicious treats to choose from. If you want, take a break from shopping on King Street and sit and have a bowl of soup; they have a couple of little tables to esat about six or eight people. It isn't a sit-down place for a large group but you could take out food to serve a large group. I would have liked to try the soup but I think I did pretty well in my first quick visit!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good food, odd vibe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My take-out meal from N&S was very good, reminding me of food at the table of a relative who was a great cook -- it felt family-like rather than upscale. The owners seemed a little tired and down, but it might have been a long day.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Reston, Virginia
“Awesome Deli!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

The people in here are very kind and helpful, and the food is fabulous! They have lots of options, both hot and cold, and LOTS more room to sit inside than you might think!

Visited June 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
“Best salad for lunch takeout in the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Chef is truly committed to cooking with the best ingredients, perusing the local farmer's markets, creating seasonal dishes with the utmost care. The spinach salad with fruit and nuts is the best I've had in the area for lunchtime takeout. Dressings are fresh, meats are lovingly cooked, and daily specials abound. Eat in or take out. Friendly local gourmet takeout!

Visited July 2012