“A Neighborhood Gem” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Bakery
Alexandria, VA
“A Neighborhood Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

This is a favorite destination for Alexandrians in the west end of the city. Delicious pastries, cakes and cookies with excellent coffee draws people to eat, relax and talk. A nice selection of sandwiches and salads has moved the APS to become a cafe as well. Well-trained staff add to the ambience. A good place to order cakes for special occasions although these are a bit pricey.
But you will come back to enjoy a neigborly setting for a favorite treat.

Visited January 2014

“Used to be worth the money...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

I used to attend this bakery regularly when I went to my hairdresser, located in the same shopping center.

Their food prices have escalated, and they now even charge for a pickle and a bag of chips with a simple sandwich order.

Their desserts are good, but with teenagers running the show, don't be so mighty as to charge an arm and a leg for a simple meal. Make your money off of your desserts, which you want to be known for.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“No manners, rude manager/owner...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

No manners, rude manager/owner... The person who runs that place (an older man) is never happy, never says Hi or Good-Bye. The pastries are not bad, but the atmosphere there is not very good. You don't feel welcome or appreciated. That person acts like he is doing you a favor by letting you in. Once I was asking a cashier something about pastries and prices - he rudely interrupted our conversation and abruptly gave me an answer. I don't think the cashier's answer was totally correct but there are other ways how to handle the situation. One time I overheard him speaking to an older couple. They had questions about catering an event, or something. At one point he replied to them something in lines of "because I said so". I think he is prior military (so am I) - with those interpersonal skills he should stay in the barracks. They always have a sign on their door "Help Wanted" - it is like a revolving door. I don't think it is a good place to work - that's why nobody stays there. When we moved to Alexandria, we went there a few times. But then we stopped. We don't want to sponsor unprofessionalism and rudeness. We are not going back.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ashburn, Virginia
“Flaky Croissants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We were in the area looking for a place to have a quick breakfast, so we stopped in. My husband and I both had a croissant with Canadian bacon, egg, and cheese. The staff member who waited on us was quite friendly and patient with us as we took a few minutes to decide what we wanted to eat. Our breakfast sandwiches were tasty and hot, and the croissants flaky - not the kind that are like bread that you get some places.

The cakes and pastries in the cases looked wonderful! I think I gained a few pounds just by looking! They also had a variety of pre-made sandwiches and salads available. Since this is a real bakery they only had bottled drinks (for juice and soft drinks). They do have coffee and hot tea.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginia
“NO ordinary bakery---decadent pastries as well as cookies for the kids' classes!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

No frills dining for lunch but everything is very good. The desserts are decadent for the most part. But also very well made and cheap cookies, breakfast treats

Visited April 2013