“Excellent Food, Service, Ambience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grille at Morrison House

The Grille at Morrison House
116 S Alfred St, 116 S. Alfred St., Alexandria, VA 22314 (Old Town)
(703) 838-8000
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Grille at Morrison House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #86 of 673 Restaurants in Alexandria
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: King Street
Transit: King Street Metro
Falls Church, Virginia
“Excellent Food, Service, Ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

It was like traveling back to a more gracious time. Went with a friend on a Saturday night. From the butler who greeted us at the entrance, to the waiter (Nelson), who remembered I had requested a table by a window (it overlooked the garden), this place instantly turned us into loyal customers. The lamb and veggie stew was perfect, my friend said (I don't eat lamb); my mushroom pappardelle was delicious: a melange of fungi, including a new one called hedgehog (no, they don't cook furry little animals) and rolled, homemade pasta. Yummy pinot noir from Oregon. Lovely deserts. And a piano bar next door, with the guests taking turns singing. (Not karaoke; this place is too classy for that; just talented neighbors singing, as we were leaving, Georgia on My Mind.) This is a definite keeper. Good job, Kimpton!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Alexandria, VA
“Overpriced afternoon tea”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

A group of us went to the afternoon tea for a special occasion. The atmosphere was nice. It's quiet because there are several smaller dining rooms rather than one large one. The service was excellent -- low-key but friendly. The food was good quality but sparse. When you look at the menu, each person gets one of each item, which are small hors d'oeuvres. Since we had a group, we shared our trays and each had a few of the things we liked. Fairly tasty but not much, for the price we paid. During the same weekend some of us went to another highly-rated local restaurant where I had a generous filet mignon dinner with an appetizer and dessert for the exact same cost as this. We enjoyed the atmosphere and time together but it will remain a one-time experience.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Andover, Massachusetts
“Save for special occassion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I only went to this restaurant because, after checking into the Morrison House hotel at 8:00 pm, I was too tired to go searching for any other. The hotel staff told me the dress code was informal but my husband, who was dressed in sweatpants and a T-shirt from our long road trip, felt very under-dressed. Other men were wearing suit jackets. I was here on a Sunday night so many tables were empty. We only wanted a small meal but the cheapest item we could find on the menu was a $19.00 hamburger, which we both ordered. Very expensive but I do have to admit it was probably the best hamburger I ever had! The chef did provide a gratis sample of a soup which was also delicious. For two hamburgers and one coffee, plus tip, our bill totaled $62.00. I rated the service average because the waiter was not prompt in checking in on us during our meal or providing the bill.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Arlington, VA
“Some disappointments”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

The Grille has become the place my wife and I go to for birthdays, anniversaries or times when we want an exceptionally fine dinner. We were again in the side room with its quiet background music which makes conversation easy, and it luxurious appointments. The service, as always, was very good. It is nice to have staff who are knowledgeable.
I probably should not have ordered the ribeye. There was duck and lamb on the menu which might have served me better. But a ribeye is a piece of beef with character. I did ask for the blue cheese to be omitted. I find its taste is that of something that has died and should be removed. What I was served was a ribeye with no bone and no edge fat - the parts that give a ribeye its taste and texture. It was just the tenderloin, a faux filet mignon. I never order filet mignon; I consider it not to be the epitome of beef but the pabulum of beef, all tender, uniform and rather tasteless. I was disappointed. Yes, it was cooked perfectly, with a seared crust and juicy pink interior. The Yorkshire pudding was nicely done, all puffy and huge, though a tiny bit over done so it was crunchy in spots. It begged for some gravy or beef juice.
I am tired of green beans that are almost cooked, but mostly raw. It has been a fashion for a while, and I prefer the beans cooked. Crunch, crunch.
The chef’s “taste” was a bite of wild hare with a mild smoky flavor. Too bad it was not an entrée.
We shared the chocolate torte for dessert and with its scoop of raspberry sorbet which was well flavored, it was a nice ending to the dinner.
We undoubtedly will return, and I will do a better job of ordering.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Hmmmm....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

The food was good, but not outstanding. The service was professional, efficient and what you would expect for a restaurant of this caliber. Price tags run high. Not sure that I'd say the meal was worth every penny

Visited October 2013