“Over Rated. Poor Service.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Grille at Morrison House

The Grille at Morrison House
Morrison House, 116 S. Alfred St., Alexandria, VA 22314 (Old Town)
703-838-8000
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Grille at Morrison House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #88 of 639 restaurants in Alexandria
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: King Street
Transit: King Street Metro
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Over Rated. Poor Service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I took my sister here for her birthday. We went on an evening that wasn't crowded. Actually only 2 other tables seated. The waitress demeanor was like she just came out of a truck stop. Her hair was a mess. The service was terrible. It took forever to get our meail/courses and she didn't know how to open a bottle of wine or pour wine. Spilled it more than she poured it. However, I will say, the food was Excellent. I ordered the special, which was fish, and my sister ordered lamb. Both were excellent. So for the food I would go back and rate it high, but for the environment, service and price I would rate it low. This is suppose to be a sophisticated, upscale, high-end place. With a famous chef and cuisine. And the hotel is beautiful. But their staff does not "match" the 5 Star quality they try to have and hold. Clearly, the manager needs to do a better job of hiring and training the personnel here in the restaurant.
Definitely recommend the hotel as a place to stay in Old Town.

Visited July 2012
Adam M, Manager at The Grille at Morrison House, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for the feedback, and I am sorry you did not have a good experience. I was surprised to see you waited six months to write the review, as it is no longer an accurate picture of what we are doing here at The Grille.

I started in August and did some retraining and reorganizing of the staff. While reading your review, I know exactly who your server was, and she is no longer with us.

It seems you enjoyed the food, and I would like to invite you back to see the improvements we have made in the service category.

We hope to see you again soon, and should you wish to try us out again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly for your reservation needs.

Adam

76% Recommend
“Nice atmosphere - friendly service - good food !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

While staying at Morrison House, had two breakfasts at The Grille. The Grille has a nice atmosphere - the service is friendly - and the food is good ! Dinner, however, is expensive - visitors will want to consider costs. Overall, Morrison House is an excellent hotel - and the Grille is in keeping with this.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Adam M, General Manager at The Grille at Morrison House, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of the hotel and restaurant. I was pleased to know you enjoyed the quality of food and service during your stay. However, I am terribly sorry you did not find your dinner a great value. We like the positive feedback as well as the negative, so we can continue to improve. I will pass your comments along to our Executive Chef, so we can evaluate our menu pricing. Once again, thank you for your review.
Mechanicsburg, PA
“Excellent Meal, Excellent Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We visited The Grille at Morrison House during Alexandria's 2013 restaurant week. We had a lovely meal and the service was outstanding. I had escargot for an appetizer, braised short ribs (melt in your mouth) for my entree and an apricot cake for dessert. Portion sizes were just right and excellently prepared. Service was top notch as well. We most definitely will be returning to The Grille at Morrison House.

Visited January 2013
I am very happy to hear you enjoyed our Restaurant Week offerings. We like to give the full experience and have our guests enjoy the three course dinner without changing the size or portions of the food. Most importantly, I was pleased to read your comments and that you will be joining us in the future. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kabul
“Great food, fun vibe, excellent bar, outstanding piano”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Ok this is a hidden gem. On weekends the former pianist from the White House plays show tunes and standards and mangy regulars who are very good sing. Entertaining and not at all karaoke cheesy.
The service is excellent. The food is very good. Nice cocktails. Overall highly recommended.

Visited January 2013
We like to think of our Piano Bar weekends as a very unique experience. I am very glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for all of the compliments. I like to share this kind of guest satisfaction with the staff. We will keep up the good work and look forward to seeing you again.
Fairfax, Virginia
“Private Meal in Dining Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We enjoyed a special celebration with friends immediately between Christmas and the New Year. We requested the dining room which was perfect for the privacy of the occasion. We received excellent service and each of our meals was prepared perfectly. The offerings had nice variety of fish, poultry as well as beef and chops. Much of the seating for dining is in the bar area and locals flood the area to entertain and be entertained around the piano. So if you prefer a quieter atmosphere, request and reserve a place in the separate dining area

Visited January 2013
Adam M, General Manager at The Grille at Morrison House, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dianna,

Thank you for your time to write a review of your experience. We are glad you and your group enjoyed themselves. We all remember your table, and you certainly were a fun crowd. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you ever wish to return to us. Again, thank you for your patronage.