“Great Location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Centerville, Ohio
“Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Hard to get a room--and especially hard to get a room with multiple bedrooms, but wonderful if you can stay here. We did not spend a lot of time in the room, but loved the fact that we were within a couple minutes' walk of the Metro. I know that others commented about the noise, but we must have been in a location where that was not an issue. In addition to the convenient proximity to the Metro, there is a free trolly that can transport you to and from the waterfront and the numerous shops and restaurants. The hotel staff was wonderful and gave us terrific suggestions for dinner--plus coupons to help us save money! This trip was part of a week-long venture to Colonial Williamsburg and DC in celebration of our son's high school graduation. My husband and I traveled with our son and his friend and we all quite comfortable. Our son opted for an air bed we brought along and his girlfriend got the sleeper sofa.

Green Features: Really appreciated the ease of recycling. Low flow toilets, faucets, shower. HOORAY!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1757Wyndham, General Manager at Wyndham Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Hello WaltripWoman,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the Wyndham Old Town Alexandria Resort. I am pleased that we were able to exceed your expectations with our customer service and the convenience of the property location.

One tip for reserving a room in the future is to reserve your unit as early as possible. Our property has a tendency to remain full nearly year around. If you ever need assistance with making a reservation I can suggest a couple of options: Extra Holidays is the Wyndham central reservations provider and they are able to provide real-time options to reserving the unit type and dates that you need. Also, always feel free to reach out to the resort as our attentive staff is able to assist with same day availability or other avenues for reserving a unit.

I am very glad your family chose to stay with the Wyndham Old Town Alexandria Resort. I look forward to seeing you for your next stay. Safe travels and congratulations on your son's graduation!

703-837-3400

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Renton, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

We are Worldmark members (and a couple who have extensive family in the area) who were told that we could get a discount on this property. With a ten day stay and the exorbitant prices in DC, this was a welcome oasis. We were surprised there were any openings, actually, as we booked a mere month or so before coming!

Already pleased, when we walked into our spacious suite, our jaws dropped open! Bigger than our kid's apartment in Arlington and with all the amenities, we almost had to pinch ourselves to make sure we weren't dreaming - which was entirely possible given the fact that we had flown all day from Seattle and were checking in after 1 am.

Check in was relatively easy even at such a late hour. Chris was very friendly and talked to us about his time in the Seattle area while checking us in. Best of all, the desk was open at this time in the morning! And the staff was welcoming.

We - and visiting family members - loved the jacuzzi. We loved that AND the fact that there was both a tub and a shower. And a bed inside the sofa (although a very typical sofa bed which really couldn't be used by most adults since it had such an incredibly thin mattress). And, when hubby decided to rent a car, the fact that there was free parking was astounding - and very much appreciated. (Almost unheard of in the DC area. Most hotels charge a minimum of $20 PER NIGHT and $40 is about average in downtown DC.)

We loved the fact that the metro was only a little over a block away and that the free trolley that ran up King Street to the waterfront was kitty corner across the street (and which let one off just a few steps from the resort entry). It didn't take me more than a bit over a forty minutes to get to my one conference in Dupont Circle up the hill. And near freeways, too, so super easy to get to DC, PG County, or elsewhere in Northern Virginia.

King Street in Old town itself was like a smaller version of Georgetown, having shopping and restaurants (and at least one good dry cleaner and, not too far away from it, a shoe repair shop that was prompt and very good).

As mentioned previously, the kitchen was full-sized with everything one needed to make breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Except small packets of spices, which Worldmark always includes. So if you want to cook, just know that there is a very small shaker of salt and pepper, but nothing else. There is also only one nonstick frying pan; the others are stainless steel. Service is for six, so you really can have a nice meal there. We were going to cook a farewell dinner for family and could have, but circumstances changed and we were unable to make use of the nice kitchen and dining area.

Someone complained about the train. We were facing the front courtyard, which was away from the train. We still heard it, but it wasn't a huge problem and neither of us were wakened by it. (On weekdays, stops running around 1 am and weekends, around 3 am.) We had more problem hearing anybody's conversation in the hallway than we did with the trains! (And we only heard those in the living room, not the bedroom.)

Unfortunately, can't comment on the activities held throughout the day as we were occupied with family, conferences, and work. But they appeared plentiful (it looked like 4 per day!). Additionally, we heard rumors that if the theater wasn't being used (it seemed movies were shown at 8 pm every night), we could rent a movie and watch it there.

Some teensy complaints: there is only a little, itty, bitty soap shelf in the ginormous shower. So shampoo, wash cloth / pouf, etc. have nowhere to go. Also, although I knew there was no daily maid service, I was surprised that the manager replied to one review that for longish stays, a maid would come every 4 days. We were there 10, and no maid came whatsoever. (I was at the point of almost washing sheets, but finally decided I didn't have enough time.) Lastly, while we LOVED the free wifi (WorldMark always makes one pay a per day fee), the signal could sometimes disintegrate - and even though settings were on auto connect, needed to sign on with the password every time I turned the computer off or it went to sleep. And my phone kept telling me the signal was unstable.

Bottom line: wish we could move in. It's in a great area and is huge. It's near all the amenities (including the metro, which I dearly miss). And the employees are efficient and friendly. At least we know where we will stay whenever we come to the DC area.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1757Wyndham, General Manager at Wyndham Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Hello Cynthrea,

Thank you for the kind words. I will be sure to share these with the staff. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your accomodations and the extra space that our units provide. Free parking is a terrific benefit for our valued owners and guests staying with us and the conveneince to the metro makes getting in and out of the city a stress free activity. Again, thank you for reaching out and we look forward to your next visit.

Saint Augustine, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I would have given this place five stars if the noise from the trains didn't leave such a bad impression with me.

I know it's convenient to Amtrak and Metro, but from 5:00am to about midnight every few minutes another train came by, ugh.

Everything else about the property was great, but I won't stay again because of that.

Room Tip: As far away from the train tracks as you can
Green Features: They don't clean the rooms daily so I guess that saves the environment :)
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1757Wyndham, General Manager at Wyndham Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Hello Jeff S.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your recent stay at the Wyndham Old Town Alexandria Resort. We sincerely appreciate all feedback we receive so we can improve our service and property in a way that always exceeds our guests expectations. I am glad that your stay was very good, overall. I do apologize that the train disturbed what should always be a restful and rejuvenating stay.

The Front Office team at the resort always does their best to accomodate our owners and guests with a unit that matches their personal preference and needs. Please feel free to reach out to us if you do decide to give our lovely resort another opportunity to deliver on your needs and I will ensure that we find a way to accomodate you for a more quiet unit location at our resort.

Again, thank you very much for sharing your experience and I am pleased to hear that most aspects of your stay were satisfactory.

Ashland, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Great first impression as we drove up to the Wyndham. Very clean. The front desk staff were all very personable and very helpful. Evan made sure we were aware of the free trolley into Old Town ( which was across the street), and told us about some of his favorite restaurants in the area. He even made sure to acknowledge our anniversary!
We stayed on the 1st floor room. I say " room", but it was actually more like a condo or small apartment. We had a large kitchen, living room, bedroom, and a huge bathroom with a separate shower and tub. The room was clean and everything was in working order. We never cooked, so I really can't say much more about the kitchen.
After getting settled in, we left to explore the town and was asked by two separate employees if we were satisfied with our room. We were also reminded of the free cold drinks that were available in the lobby.
Old Town is a nice area with little cafe's, shops, and restaurants. It was a nice place to relax and enjoy dinner, but we didn't do much else there, since we had to leave at 5:45am the next morning.
We took the Metro into DC at 5:45am, where we connected with Amtrak at Union Station to visit NYC for a few days. As we were leaving the lobby early in the morning, we asked the security guard where we should go. He told us to follow him and he would take us there faster. He personally walked us down the elevator and out a back exit. The Metro was across the street, so he made it very easy.
Overall, I was impressed with this Wyndham Resort and the staff there, and would love to visit it again next time I plan a trip to the area!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1757Wyndham, General Manager at Wyndham Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Hello SDamron1,

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience from your recent stay at Wyndham Old Town Alexandria Resort. I am glad to hear that your expectations have been exceeded with our spacious units and our staff services. I will be sure to share your positive remarks with the team here at the resort. Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you for your next stay.

Vonore, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We are Gold Wyndham owners and have stayed in many of the Wyndham resorts. This was one of our favorites, and we will definitely return. I read some of the reviews and am always surprised when people complain they don't have daily maid service. This is not a hotel. Be aware if you book as other than an owner. On the other hand, we had a one bedroom deluxe and it had so many towels, etc., there was no need to reuse if you didn't choose to do so.
Our reasons for 5 stars: we were not hounded by the sales team. Location: steps from the Alexandria trolley (free) and two blocks from the Metro (we bought Smart cards for $10 that gave us enough to go into central DC and back 2 times). Building was attractive and lovely landscaping. Nice lobby. Units were clean, functioning, and had comfortable seating (thank you for two good lounge chairs and sofa). Wifi was good when we stayed.It was quiet. I think we heard one train in the evening and we liked it! Free parking next door and free laundry (though not in the unit as usual). The staff was super..prompt, friendly. Not sure what is available for kids. Can't say enough positives!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1757Wyndham, General Manager at Wyndham Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Hello Torte_Sue,

I am glad to hear we have been able to exceed your expectations during your visit to the Wyndham Old Town Alexandria Resort with our service and property location. Thank you for your kind words and the information you've noted regarding property amenities. As a valued Wyndham VIP Owner, our team takes pride in providing a warm and inviting atmosphere so you are able to get the most out of your vacation time. We look forward to seeing you again during your next stay and thank you again for reaching out.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I stayed here at the Wyndham for a week with my family on our summer vacation to see Washington DC. It is very easy access to the metro and King Street has a trolley that you can ride up and down the street that is full of wonderful shops and restaurants. The hotel it's self is very pretty, has a game room and a movie room complete with popcorn! The staff is very friendly and helpful. The only downside is that they do not clean your room or give you fresh sheet/towels. If you are like me, the ladt thing that you want to do while on vacation is house work and laundry!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Sahar A, Old Town Alexandria at Wyndham Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Freedomangelbon/ Guest,

Thank you for choosing Wyndham Old Town Alexandria Resort to spend your summer vacation with the family this year, our strategic location that is a walking distance to King Street metro station, from that station there are direct lines "Blue and Yellow" to nation's capital Washington D.C. very convenient and fun trip. Also our location on king street the beginning of Old town
is about one mile fun, walking or riding the free trolley through wonderful shops and restaurants!

We truly proud of our well maintained property and friendly/helpful staff...

We are sorry to hear about the less pleasant side of your stay, for the cleaning part; if you are an Owner guest or a Guest that is staying more than a week, you get clean and tidy service on the fourth day of your stay! unlike the hotels where you get the room cleaned everyday. But you could have requested any number of clean sheets or towels by calling the front desk...

However, we are willing to see you again in our Resort sometimes next year and will be more than happy to be of your service, thank you again for taking to write this review, have a wonderful day

Sahar Al-Shaibani
NE Region and Resort Admin
(703) 837-3400
Oregon City, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We totally enjoyed our stay at this hotel, even if it started out a little tough as we wandered around trying to find it. (The front door is in an inner courtyard behind the Hilton.) The reception greeting was friendly and helpful, cookies and coffee always available as is the PC/printer room. Internet was a little slow, but worked okay. The location is amazing, right across the street from a Metro station--and, no, it is not noisy because of that. Starbucks on the block, Whole Foods a very few blocks away, and right on the free KIng Street bus line that takes you through Alexandria. As for the room, the bed was comfy, unit was nicely decorated, and the kitchen was well stocked. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1757Wyndham, General Manager at Wyndham Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Hi Maureen P.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your vacation experience from your stay with us. I am truly glad you enjoyed your stay and our property location. It sounds like you found the little extra touches at the resort like the cookies and refreshment station to be to your satisfaction, I am glad to hear this.

I will look into possible solutions for the resort signage and work with the operations team to ensure the wifi signal is at maximum capability. I truly appreciate this valuable feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience and property offerings.

We look forward to seeing you during your next visit. Do not hesitate to reach out to me if I can be of assistance to you. Thank you, again.

703-837-3400

Been to Wyndham Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!