“Authentic Italian” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Landini Brothers Incorporated

Landini Brothers Incorporated
115 King St, Alexandria, VA 22314-3207 (Old Town)
703 836 8404
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Landini Brothers Incorporated is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 610 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: Lee Street and King Street
Transit: King Street Metro stop, about 16 blocks away from the restaurant.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Authentic Italian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My wife and I had dinner at Landini brothers with friends who live in Alexandria and recommended the restaurant highly. Our friends said that we need not order off the menu but rather could order whatever we wanted, within reason of course this being an Italian restaurant. So I decided to put the restaurant to a test. 54 years ago I had first eaten Saltinbocca ala Romana at a small restaurant near the Piazza du Populo in Rome. The dish was terrific and remains my favorite veal dish, for me the gold standard of Roman style Italian cuisine. So I asked if they could make Saltinbocca. They said they could. When the dish arrived it did not look like any Saltinbocca I had ever been presented with - not a rolled cutlet filled with Prosciutto and sage, but chopped meat over tortolini. But when I dug in I discovered that the dish consisted of all the essential elements of authentic Saltinbocca, and the savors blended perfectly. Saltinbocca as a pasta sauce! A marvelous idea. And even though the dish contained generous amounts of veal and had been ordered off menu, they charged for it as a pasta dish, only 2/3 the price of a veal dish. The others in my party all had veal dishes off the menu and rated them excellent. Wine list was extensive with many wines a reasonable prices. We had a delicious Sangiovese for $27. Authentic Italian food at a fair price. Good ambiance, only complaint is that the noise level is high.

Honolulu, Hawaii
“So so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

While on a business trip, I visited Old Town Alexandria with a colleague and, since the weather was very nice, we elected to eat at an outdoor table at Landini Brothers. Eating outdoors was great. The food not so much. Having lived in Italy, I was intrigued by their fresh pasta offerings, so I ordered the special which included pasta with seafood - squid, scallops and shrimp. I like all three of these but the dish was heavily weighted in favor of the squid. The shrimp and scallops were chopped too small to be enjoyable. The dishes were also a bit pricey, but that is what you must expect in Old Town. I would not be averse to eating here again but would not specifically purpose a return visit.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Classic old school Italian in heart of Alexandria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I'm a big fan of Landini Bros, as I eat here often. Mostly for business lunches and casual dinners with friends. I've also hosted private dinner events for my staff in the upstairs rooms, so I've experienced most of the service/food. Some people are put off by how dark it is inside but this is because Landini's stays (somewhat) true to how the restaurant would have looked/felt 200 years ago. The building is an historic building (brought up to code) so the old beam ceiling is low. White table cloths help, as do the waiter uniforms. The waiters are great, they really know the menu well, are usually pretty attentive and if they recognize you will greet you by name and give you a good table in the main room near the bar. The place can get a bit noisy on Thurs and Fri nights but conversation here is still much easier than, say, Café Milano in Georgetown.

The menu is extensive, and I would say it leans more toward southern Italian cooking versus northern Italian. Heavier red sauces, meaty pasta dishes abound. They almost always have excellent veal chops and you can basically get veal scallopini any way you want it (Marsala, picatta, etc.) same with the chicken. It's all good, if a bit rich at times. They also have terrific fish, I've never had a bad fish meal here, and during certain times of the year they have full sized scampi that they grill, head on, and serve over a bed of arugula. The branzino is typically good, and the gnocci is another dish they do very well. All in all I've rarely had a meal here that I didn't like. They also have lobster all the time, and they make a nice chilled lobster salad served with asparagus and avocado, it's basically half a Maine lobster on a platter but it's outstanding for lunch. The wine list is pretty good and not outrageously expensive but then again I wouldn't say there are any screaming bargains on it either. The wine prices are more or less "market correct" for the place.

I definitely recommend Landini's for business lunches/dinners, and for romantic evenings if you are in Alexandria. Would I drive here from the District for dinner versus eating at some of the great restaurants in the District - hmm, probably not. But if you are in Alexandria or Rosslyn, yeah, it's worth a visit.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginia
“Good, but over-priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Landini Brothers is good, not great. I had the fish and honestly, it was bland. I thought it was expensive for the size of the portion. The atmosphere is Italian and the waiters were prompt and efficient. Perhaps I should have tried a different dish. I was aiming for a healthy fish meal and perhaps it was not their best dish on the night that I visited. The service was very good.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Okmulgee, Oklahoma
“Wonderful food and great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

My husband insisted we go and eat here ( he ate here 26 years ago). I had read several reviews and was not sure. After eating here I was dumbfounded at the negative comments about the food and prices. It was a wonderfully tasteful meal and well worth the price. The atmosphere was quaint and inviting. I also have two teenagers who are sometimes picky eaters...cleaned their plates!! I would highly suggest....