“Very Good Seafood.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wharf Restaurant

Wharf Restaurant
119 King St, Alexandria, VA 22314-3207 (Old Town)
703-836-2836
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Wharf Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 650 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Transit: Free trolley from Metro stop to the Wharf and transit stop 1 block from restaurant.
Somerset, New Jersey
“Very Good Seafood.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I were in Old Town for the weekend and wanted a nice place for Saturday night dinner. We went to The Wharf, which was only about 10 minutes from our hotel. This restaurant is in a busy, very popular area but there is parking in a deck around the corner ($12 for the time it took to eat dinner). We made 9:00pm reservations and were seated promptly. The place was "dimly" lit, perfect for a romantic dinner, but unfortunately, the tables are rather close together and we were seated next to a young woman who was speaking rather loudly. Our waiter was very good, and dinner progressed happily once that table left. We both ordered the large Seafood Chowder ($6.95); I wouldn't say it was loaded with seafood, but it tasted very good. I also ordered a Dirty Martini ($8) - although the waiter shook the jigger at the table, the martini wasn't very "dirty" nor very alcohol-filled. I ordered the crab cakes ($27) and grilled veggies - they were very good. My husband ordered the shellfish platter ($33), which included crabcakes and scallops. It too was very good. While our meal was good, and I'm glad we went, I wouldn't go out of my way to return - I'd probably try another seafood place next time.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Westborough, Massachusetts
“Excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

The best waiter service we had in a very long time. Everyone was very intentive of our requests and needs. My husband had the cat fish which was cooked to perfection; my husband rates this dish a 8 out of 10. He also order a la carte the mashed potatos with lobster. Well worth the price and his rating is an 11 out of 10, truly an outstanding side dish. I had the crab cakes and they were wonderful; 9 out of 10. All family members had the clam chowder, and I would recommend this to everyone. They fell completely short on my sons dish which he ordered: the calamari appetizer as his main course. The calamari was overlooked. My thoughts were they may not have paid attention to his meal as he is a kid however he is a kid who is a calamari eating expert and knows when calamari is cooked incorrectly.

Visited July 2013
“Outstanding Seafood - great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

The Wharf is right downtown in Alexandria which makes it easy to find. The interior is really nice and clean and the service is great.
Everything we had ordered was absolutely delicious - especially the She Crab Soup - you should do yourself a favor and order a cup of this goodness.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh
“Great seafood experience in a cool part of town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

The Wharf restaurant is located in a cool part of Old Alexandria on a street filled with dining choices. We saw the fried shrimp as we were walking by and knew we had to try them. Once seated we ordered the fried oysters as an appetizer - I highly recommend these! Afterwards we had fried shrimp and a Kansas City Strip steak, both were excellent. Ambiance is nice and service was good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“Just passing by”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

With no reservation on a busy Friday evening they managed to seat my husband and I in about 15 minutes. This was the first time at this restaurant so we did not know what to expect.

As a previous reviewer had pointed out - the restaurant is quite dark inside so it does make it a little difficult to see any decor etc. We sat at a table at the back of the restaurant and were quickly given menus and told the specials by our waiter Gerardo. He was extremely efficient in bringing bread and water to the table and took our orders quickly. We ordered the garlic shrimp appetizer that was a little bland and definitely needed more garlic and less butter in the sauce. We also ordered the clam chowder soup. The soup was creamy and tasty and came in a big bowl.

There seemed to be a long time between our appetizers and entrees. For our main meals we ordered the horseradish salmon with a side of grilled vegetables and the cashew crusted mahi mahi with a side of garlic mashed potatoes. Both fish dishes were OK, but nothing to rave about. The grilled vegetables were overdone and the mashed potatoes tasted either stale or a box mix. It's difficult to go wrong with mashed potatoes. I informed our waiter that about the potatoes but he did not offer to remove them from our bill. I also filled out their questionnaire with the same comments.

I do not feel that the quality of food was on par with the price. I'm glad that I tried this place but now I know that I do not need to go again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere