“Wonderful service and food, but I wish it had been hot” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant Eve

Restaurant Eve
110 S Pitt St, Ste 6, Alexandria, VA 22314-3126 (Old Town)
703-706-0450
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: King Street
Transit: King Street Metro. Trolley it from King Street Metro- The free trolley will operate seven days a week from 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Approximately every 20 minutes, riders can board at the King Street Metro, near the Waterfront, or at one of many other stops. The closest stop to the restaurant is one block away, at King and St. Asaph Streets.
Alexandria, Virginia
“Wonderful service and food, but I wish it had been hot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I really wanted to give Restaurant Eve's Tasting Room a higher rating. But, there were just too many slip ups, for a restaurant of this caliber, for me to give them such high marks.

When we were being shown to our table, and I asked to be seated away from the entrance, the "greeter" acted dumbfounded. She fumbled for a few moments and then offered a more private table (they knew before hand that it was my wife's birthday). I would have overlooked this ineptness, but the greeter never pulled the original table out so that my wife could scoot out to go to the new table (after she had done so to seat her). I waited a moment, as the greeter walked toward the new table, and reached down to pull the table out myself. Maybe this is nitpicking, but I took it as a sign of an inexperienced staff.

The other complaint, and it was consistent, was the temperature of the food. Each course (being in the Tasting Room, we did the 5 course menu, with wine pairings, leaving it to the chef to select) was merely lukewarm (when they should have been hot). It was as if they had been prepared before hand, and had been sitting in the kitchen, but not even under a heat lamp. I don't think that was the case, but I expected (and have experienced better prepared tasting menus in other upscale establishments) something other than barely warm dishes.

On the positive side, the waitstaff was extremely professional, balancing their friendliness with just the right amount of information (for us) about the food and wine pairing (both of which were excellent and perfectly matched). This balance is very difficult to achieve and I applaud the servers for their sensitivity and demeanor.

This is still the best restaurant in Old Town Alexandria and well worth a special occasion visit, or for anyone wanting a truly fine dining experience. More so if they work out the kinks at the front desk and find a way to get hot food to the tables.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

ChefChic
“This Place is Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

The entire staff was friendly and efficient. The server was very knowledgeable about the menu and the wine list. The food was wonderful; some of it locally sourced, and generous portions for an upscale restaurant. I like that the dessert menu is seasonally driven with lots of fruit based and light options for the summer. The atmosphere is very nice without feeling stuffy, and attention is paid to even the smallest of details. This place is a winner!

San Francisco, California
“A Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I must caveat this with saying that I cannot afford this place, but got a sizable gift certificate - expect to spend ~$100 per person. With that said, the food was phenomenal. The menu rotates, but I highly doubt anything will be bad. We got sweet corn fritters and a mushroom salad to start. For dinner we had monkfish cooked in a lobster/bacon sauce and a ribeye steak. Both were amazing. Desert was cooked chocolate mouse (basically a brownie) with mint puree and gelato.

The place itself is really nice, it's a little stuffy, but it doesn't take away from the ambiance. As a headsup, people get very dressed up, so men should expect to wear a jacket.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Very elegant birthday evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I flew down from Boston to spend the weekend in DC with family and friends. I recently celebrated my birthday so we went here to celebrate. The food, service and wine pairing were excellant. This is not the place to come if you are saving pennies or are in a hurry. The meal was amazing and we paired the food with the wine tasting menu as well. The staff is attentive and the servier and sommelier come out when each course is served to explain all of the ingredients or to tell you a bit about the wine and the region where it originates. We ordered the 5 course tasting and there a few bonus "amuse bouche" that accompany the servings. We found the food to be exceptional and very interesting. Our only complaint is the wine was often served a good 5-10" before the next course . It was a leisurley evening and we enjoyed it greatly. As it was my birthday I was given a nice little package which included scone mix and a package of nice coffee(my treat this weekend).

• Visited July 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
“Fabulous experience dining in Tasting Room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had excellent service, terrific food and great wine pairing at Restaurant Eve. We reserved dinner for two in the Tasting Room, and our expectations were met for all categories. This is NOT an inexpensive experience, you can expect to pay several hundred dollars and it will be your evening's entertainment for several hours. The food was well presented, explained fully, and the wine pairings were divine. We will definitely go back again for another special occasion. I've been fortunate enough to enjoy a few other restaurants of this quality and reputation, and Restaurant Eve is right up there in terms of total quality product (food, atmosphere, comfort, wine, service).

As to other recent reviews with complaints about portion size and cost....you can expect individual portions served during the tasting courses to be small. There are also a lot of them (5, 7 or 9 with intermediate small other goodies and bread). We left quite satisfied, and we are definitely good eaters. If you like the individual serving sizes at the Cheesecake Factory, then this will not be enough food for you.

It is true that the bathrooms are upstairs and it does get hot up there in summer. I used the facilities several times and did not find that bothersome. If you think that you might need to spend a lot of time up there, you may be more comfortable dining at Restaurant Even in fall, spring or winter.

This was our first time to Restaurant Eve. We did not try the bistro or bar area, so I offer nothing helpful there. If you are a foodie, the tasting room is a wonderful experience.

• Visited July 2013