“My best meal in Alexandria” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Vermilion Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 597 Restaurants in Alexandria
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fayette St.
Transit: King St. Metro Station Using the King Street Trolley, get off at the Fayette St. Stop coming in either direction.
Description: Vermilion features Chef William Morris' menu of Contemporary American cuisine. Complimenting Chef Morris' menu is Vermilion's wine list, named one of the top wine lists in the country by Restaurant Hospitality Magazine. Combining a charming location in Old town Alexandria with stylized design and atmosphere, Vermilion represents a bit of downtown sophistication: from the exposed brick in the upstairs dining room to the overstuffed pillows in the lounge downstairs, Vermilion holds something for all tastes.
Seattle, WA
“My best meal in Alexandria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

During a week in Alexandria I dined at Vermillion, The Majestic, Brabo Tasting Room, Hank's Oyster Bar and Restaurant Eve - of these, Vermillion was hands down the best meal.

The atmosphere is charming and quirky - the Kimpton of restaurants, if you get the reference. There is a dining area as well as a bar/lounge.

My husband and I shared several small plates and one entree. The restaurant nicely split onto 2 plates the items where that made sense - and every dish was delicious.

We had a chilled pea soup with preserved lemon curd and crab which was THE BEST dish of the whole trip. (We came back for more the next day at lunch.)

Other small plates included the steak tartare which was good, a beet salad which was excellent, and the entree was lamb with summer vegetables - also delicious.

There's a lot of character in the restaurant and the food. Highly recommended.

• Visited June 2014

Michigan
“Absolute Perfection!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

What a wonderful experience my mother and I had at Vermillion. It was her birthday, so we justified the splurge, and even though it was pricey, we had no regrets as every bite was worth it! The food is fresh, interesting and perfectly flavored. Loved the beet and radish salad, and mom had the Arugula salad which was big enough for two. Fresh and dressed just right not soggy. We split the tagliatelle pasta dish (w/o meat) and it was so good, I wish I lived closer so I could go back. As a vegetarian, its not always easy to find flavorful pasta, but this dish hit all the right notes. Our server was friendly and attentive, and could answer any and all questions about the food and wine. The atmosphere is delightful, with lots of Old Alexandria charm with modern touches Highly recommend this place.

• Visited June 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
“Exquisite Anniversary Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

I was looking for something nice and romantic in the area for our anniversary and kept coming back to Vermillion. After reading several reviews, I decided to go for it and made our reservations. I am so glad that I did!

From the moment we arrived, we could tell we were in for a treat. I have rarely experienced a restaurant where both the food and the service were as seamless and perfectly presented. We opted for the tasting menu with wine pairings and were then treated to several absolutely wonderful courses. The food was outstanding, perfectly proportioned, and skillfully paired with a superb selection of wines.

The staff knew it was our anniversary and went out of their way to make it a special occasion for us. It's the nice touches like this along with perfectly timed and executed service that makes a meal memorable. We were thrilled with our visit and will definitely be back.

Montgomery, New Jersey
“Great Dining Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

For a small group, I was charged with finding a restaurant in Alexandria which we visited for a conference. We had one vegetarian, and we wanted a farm-to-table place. Vermilion fit the bill on both counts! We were seated in the upstairs room next to the windows. The service was attentive and helpful. Some of our favorite choices: the beet salad, salmon, steak and tagliatelle. The vegetarian had the tagliatelle without the meat but the waiter offered to prepare something special for her which wasn't on the regular menu. There's a 4-course tasting menu, too. All in all, a successful experience!

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Real treat in Old Town Alexandria, Va”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

A cozy little restaurant with excellent food on King Street in Alexandria, the Vermillion offers interesting cuisine in beautiful surroundings. We had a delightful lunch and enjoyed excellent service. I had the best Sazerac cocktail I have found outside of New Orleans. Don't miss the chance to visit the many nice small shops along King Street while in town.