“Why the Rave?” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 597 Restaurants in Alexandria
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Doing business, Special occasions, Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
The Villages, Florida
“Why the Rave?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

I don't understand why many of my friends rave about this restaurant. I think the food here is overrated. I am not saying it is bad but I can say I can get similar or better food at some of the take out I know. Ambience is nice and the service is quite good but as the few times I tried, I have I had better food elsewhere. But,, I know many seems to like this place. Confused.

Visited April 2014

Washington, DC
“Great General Tso's Chicken”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We love their General Tso's and the fried meat dumplings. We don't eat here as often as we have in the past when we lived in Kingstown but it is the best General Tso's we have had in the DC area.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fairfax, Virginia
“Once a good restaurant, not any more”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

A few days ago we went for Dinner - weekday. We knew this Restaurant from way back in time and is was recommendable. Sadly not any more. The Restaurant- dining-room is acceptable clean. The food is the dilemma: we had two different orders, one beef/green pepper, one cashew chicken: both dishes were looking and tasting very oily. The beef was sliced thin - a layman could not even make out if it was beef (and if, which part) ? The chicken came in a variety of crumbles and pieces with gristle, we could not make out which part these little (leftovers, cuttings?) pieces came from. I am afraid this restaurant uses prepackaged and maybe preprocessed food, heats it up and tosses the requested sauce over it. That may explain the bland taste we both experienced.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginia
“A mixed review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

As my lovely boyfriend and I "eat" our way through Alexandria, House of Dynasty was next on our list.

I made a reservation because I typically make one so that we do not have to be surprised when we show up and they can not seat us. Our reservation was for 6:30 pm Saturday night and we arrived..well..at 6:30. The parking is tough and there were people in front of us in the lobby trying to either get seated or put their name on the list...so when I walked up at 6:35 and told the woman at the door my name and that I had a reservation she started LOUDLY scolding me for being late. She must have said "you are late, you are late" 5 times in a row. I wondered if we were going to get seated or not. Everyone around me was giggling at her behavior. We did get seated, but what a way to start our experience.

We ordered the pork with pancakes, the fish two ways, general chicken and crispy prawns with walnuts. (I have two pictures below).

All of the dishes, with the exception of the pork, were fried. They had a thick breading on them and the sauces were all very pasty, like there was a lot of corn starch in the sauce. The fish two ways had two different sauces, one was more of a sweet and the other very lightly spiced. My prawns and walnuts was a red sauce that was savory and the walnuts were also fried.

Overall I found the flavors good, although heavy, and I enjoyed my meal. The interesting part about the meal was I was the ONLY one at the table that did enjoy their food. I tasted everyone's food and like most everything. In fact we all sampled each other's food and the comments were average at best. The person with us that ordered the fish two ways was so unimpressed that he stopped eating it and ordered a bowl of wonton soup instead. I had never been before but another person in our group had eaten there years ago and said that he thought the food as not nearly as good as he remembered.

It is rare for me to have a review where there was such a mixed opinion of the food. They left disappointed and I left feeling like I had a pretty good meal. But I will say that I have no desire to return, I have tried it and feel that it was one par with most Chinese food I have tried. Not bad but nothing over the top special either.

Please make reservations if you can because the place was packed. Arrive on time, LOL, and you will at the very least enjoy the service, it was excellent. Our waiter was named Steve and he was very kind and attentive.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach
“Best Chinese In Washington DC Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife and I had dinner there Friday evening, it was crowded as always. We have been eating here for the past twenty years. Not as often as we would like since we moved out of the area, but every time we are in Northern Virgina we eat at the House of Dynasty. My wife had the Hot and Spicy shrimp and I had the General Tso chicken. Both were excellent and cooked the way we waned as far as spicy or not. Highly recommend if you like Chinese.

• Visited January 2014