“A mixed review” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 650 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery
Alexandria, Virginia
“A mixed review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

As my lovely boyfriend and I "eat" our way through Alexandria, House of Dynasty was next on our list.

I made a reservation because I typically make one so that we do not have to be surprised when we show up and they can not seat us. Our reservation was for 6:30 pm Saturday night and we arrived..well..at 6:30. The parking is tough and there were people in front of us in the lobby trying to either get seated or put their name on the list...so when I walked up at 6:35 and told the woman at the door my name and that I had a reservation she started LOUDLY scolding me for being late. She must have said "you are late, you are late" 5 times in a row. I wondered if we were going to get seated or not. Everyone around me was giggling at her behavior. We did get seated, but what a way to start our experience.

We ordered the pork with pancakes, the fish two ways, general chicken and crispy prawns with walnuts. (I have two pictures below).

All of the dishes, with the exception of the pork, were fried. They had a thick breading on them and the sauces were all very pasty, like there was a lot of corn starch in the sauce. The fish two ways had two different sauces, one was more of a sweet and the other very lightly spiced. My prawns and walnuts was a red sauce that was savory and the walnuts were also fried.

Overall I found the flavors good, although heavy, and I enjoyed my meal. The interesting part about the meal was I was the ONLY one at the table that did enjoy their food. I tasted everyone's food and like most everything. In fact we all sampled each other's food and the comments were average at best. The person with us that ordered the fish two ways was so unimpressed that he stopped eating it and ordered a bowl of wonton soup instead. I had never been before but another person in our group had eaten there years ago and said that he thought the food as not nearly as good as he remembered.

It is rare for me to have a review where there was such a mixed opinion of the food. They left disappointed and I left feeling like I had a pretty good meal. But I will say that I have no desire to return, I have tried it and feel that it was one par with most Chinese food I have tried. Not bad but nothing over the top special either.

Please make reservations if you can because the place was packed. Arrive on time, LOL, and you will at the very least enjoy the service, it was excellent. Our waiter was named Steve and he was very kind and attentive.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Virginia Beach
“Best Chinese In Washington DC Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife and I had dinner there Friday evening, it was crowded as always. We have been eating here for the past twenty years. Not as often as we would like since we moved out of the area, but every time we are in Northern Virgina we eat at the House of Dynasty. My wife had the Hot and Spicy shrimp and I had the General Tso chicken. Both were excellent and cooked the way we waned as far as spicy or not. Highly recommend if you like Chinese.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best Chinese in town.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

I wouldn't listen to the this is "americanized" chinese food reviewers - quite simply, you're wrong.

Just came back from NYC eating at the best of the best in Chinatown and this place could go toe-to-toe w/ any of the big boys.

Just b/c they don't serve freshly plucked sparrow doesn't mean it's Americanized LOL - learn your regions of China and then learn something about the food in each region.

This place does Hunan and Schezuan better than any one in the area.

Springfield, Virginia
“Walt Okon - Back again at the House of Dynasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

9 jan 2014 - it is our 15 wedding anniversary and we chose to go to the House of Dynasty, www.houseofdynasty.com/ It is upscale at a reasonable price. It is quiet and romantic. Service makes us feel special. we can talk quietly in a table for two on a balcony with a back ground of mirrors. A really nice place for a really nice dinner. When we have a special event or special friends, we take them to - The House of Dynasty and we love it today. It is located at hayfield Road and Telegraph Rd, Alexandria, VA in a quiet neighborhood. No Traffic. I love to call for reservations because I get the table i want and seated with in a minute of the stated time. I took my sons and wives there and bet they we would get seated on time. They could not believe it. The head waiter had us in the chairs on the minute. I won and the House of Dynasty wins every time. Walt Okon-Springfield, Virginia

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Northern Virginia
“Catered to American-Chinese Tastes”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

What they serve is not authentic gourmet chinese cuisine. There are lots of restaurants in Northern VA that do so it's perplexing why this place is rated so highly as a "Chinese" restaurant. Many of the dishes are Szechuan style but crudely prepared and altered to suit the local palate. I would compare it to a dining room version of Panda Express. It'll do, if you just want to fill your belly.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere