“touristy, expensive, and "corporate" experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chart House Restaurant

Chart House Restaurant
1 Cameron St, Alexandria, VA 22314-3235 (Old Town)
703-684-5080
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Chart House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #64 of 651 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Spanish
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: Union Street
Transit: King Street Metro Station
WashingtonDC
“touristy, expensive, and "corporate" experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My friends and I went to Chart House for a birthday celebration, and overall I thought it was a very corporate experience – kind of like a high-end Red Lobster.

Even though I live in DC, I don't really go out in Alexandria that often, so we purposely chose something down there. Before I went, I didn't realize how much of a tourist destination this restaurant is. It is a massive restaurant, one of the biggest I've ever been in. For whatever reason, it wasn't busy at all when we were there, so it felt almost cavernous. Luckily, we were able to get a table right by the window, so that was nice to be right by the water. Now, it's not directly on the water because you still have to look at the pedestrians and boats showboats that block the view of the river, but it's at least somewhat of a view.

The food was…fine. As I said above, Chart House is just a high-end Red Lobster, with steak as well. It had a good selection of all types of fish, so that's good. The salad bar was also very expansive, and even had some Californian caviar. I personally had the flounder stuffed with crab meat, and while there was a generous portion of flavorful crab meat inside, the flounder kind of fell flat for me. To be honest, for the price that's charged, I expected better than I've got. The service was inoffensive, but the fact that I don't remember anything about it says all you need to know.

Overall, I don't think I would recommend Chart House over any other restaurant in Old Town Alexandria. The restaurant is just one of a massive national chain, so there's no real "something special" about this restaurant that you can't get in Los Angeles or Cincinnati or wherever.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
“Try the seasonal menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I enjoyed my meal at the Chart House. I had the Autumn spiced scallops in apple cider butter served with squash puree and braised red cabbage. The plate was colorful and most importantly, delicious. The scallops were cooked perfectly and paired nicely with the Fall inspired seasoning and sides. Our waiter Justin was very nice. Definitely ask for a water view table.

Alexandria, Virginia
“Waterfront”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Waterfront is a draw and most seating has at least a glimpse of boats/water. Window seating is good, of course, and the bar area as well. Food quality is good if a bit pricey. Salad bar is excellent. Service is usually prompt and attentive. Biggest problem is parking. Time limits on streets are STRICTLY & ALMOST INSTANTLY ENFORCED by a bevy of circling "vultures". Better to pay for garage or lot parking (several within short walk) but if you are there in the evening check on what time the garage/lot closes. Recommend the crab & avocado stack.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginia
“Did they really have an off day or what?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Went there for lunch on a Friday, at 2:00 p.m. So they weren't really all that busy. Two females, but I really hope that didn't have anything to do with it. Server was initially attentive until after we received our appetizer, fried calamari, which was excellent. Then he disappeared for long periods of time. My fish of the day was so dry that I couldn't eat it and my companions crab cake was really bready. Not even luke warm. It was either the servers fault or the kitchen, or both. But, it didn't even seem as if the rest of the meal came from the same kitchen as our appetizer. We didn't have a huge amount of time and our server never even returned. We left a gift card to cover the meal and left. We will not be going back, and we are locals!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Lancaster, New York, United States
“Great view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We had lunch right on the waterfront. Food was very good as was the service! However when we returned for dinner we were disappointed. The service was poor and the food not as good, plus it was pricey. Loved the view and being able to eat outside though..

Visited October 2013