“Fuel surcharge and suggested tip?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dandy Restaurant Cruise Ship

Dandy Restaurant Cruise Ship
0 Prince St, Alexandria, VA 22314 (Old Town)
(703) 683-6076
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #406 of 650 Restaurants in Alexandria
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Old Town
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fuel surcharge and suggested tip?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

My wife and I took a night dinner cruise. They delivered what was advertised, dinner and a cruise. We bought our tickets from groupon for 50% and I still think it was expensive. $109 for dinner and the cruise,$6 beers and $2coffeys, $10 fuel charge and DC tax. Tipping policy (See below)

The Good: The service staff was friendly and on top of things, the view of the city was nice, the food was ok, fun atmosphere.

The Bad: The boat and crew looked a little worn, out dated music including "Happy Birthday" 6 times. Two hours would have been long enough.

The Ugly: A $10 fuel charge?. DC tax was included(we left out of Alexandria),Three options for tipping were pre-calculated for you. The tips were based on the full price of the cruise and meal, (not the groupon discounted price),drinks, fuel, and DC tax. The tip options were presented both on your bill, and verbally as your only tipping options. I didn't use there suggestions and tipped $25 (based on what I actually spent). When the waiter saw the tip he looked at me weird and questioned me about it.

One dinner cruise with this company was enough for us.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

fairfax,VA
“Ask ahead of time....or be disappointed!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We brought 6 german citizens with us for a culmination of a week of DC sightseeing. The website offers views of the monuments and Kennedy center. After we had left port and noticed we weren't seeing the sites my husband heard the crew talking that we couldn't go under the bridge to Georgetown because of the tide. We were never informed of this and very disappointed. Our only highlight was Nat's stadium. Make sure to ask before booking. For the money we paid we were very disappointed and will not book again.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Finksburg, Maryland
“Prepare to pay for the fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We found out about the cruise from the AAA coupons. Luckily we paid half price or this would have really sucked. The area where the boat is docked is very nice and if you get there early enough, stop at the local pub for a drink. There is ample parking in the area near the dock or within walking distance. The boat is very nice. The dinner was very good and the service very attentive. The sites are beautiful. One thing that I would change is delay serving dinner about 1/2 hour for people to go on deck and see the sites in the daylite.Like one other reviewer, bring money. They take your picture boarding, $20 if you want it. My wife and I got a drink from the bar and when I went to pay they said it was charged to the table. Well so was everything else. They made an anouncement during the cruise for us to go to our tables to pay our bills. I was expecting the 2 drinks. Boy was I surprised. Here is basically my bill...$8.25 mixed drink, $5 beer, 4 coffees $2 each, 6 cokes $2 each, $20 fuel charge, $20.69 DC tax, and a suggested 15% tip of $66.79. Thinking the trip had been paid for in advance, I was shocked.. I would however do it again, I will just bring extra money.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Clinton, Maryland
“Dig Deep”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My spouse and I celebrated our 32nd wedding anniversary with friends aboard the Nina's Dandy. Coffee/Tea not included with the meal - to our surprise when we received the bill it was
Why??? We purchased an Amazon Local Voucher which was: dinner for four which cost $179.00. At the conclusion of our cruise we received a bill for $42.00 which included $16.00 Fuel Surcharge, $20.00 for D.C. taxes $6.00 for coffee and iced tea. Also suggested was $68.00 gratuity for the full amount of the voucher prior to discounted value.

There was a deluge prior to boarding; as we got underway the magic began. We danced, laughed and enjoyed the view on the Potomac - all went well. Looking forward to 32 more years.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The food was good, a three course meal, the choice of four dishes for the main and desert. Every one was quite happy with the food.
I would recommend the the cruise to anyone that has not been before.

Visited June 2013