“Unexpected appearance but fun time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dandy Restaurant Cruise Ship

Dandy Restaurant Cruise Ship
0 Prince St, Alexandria, VA 22314 (Old Town)
(703) 683-6076
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #406 of 650 Restaurants in Alexandria
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Old Town
“Unexpected appearance but fun time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Let me start outby saying that when my boyfriend and I spotted the dandy, we laughed and contemplated turning around. It is outdated and unsightly, however we purchased a living Social deal and didn't want to waste it. We only paid about half price and would not have paid the full price, not worth it. The food was pretty good but the ambiance was very romantic and a fun different thing to do. It was enjoyable to see all of the monuments from the Potomac at night. Definitely take a trip to the upper deck for a romantic ride.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

nh
“Great Views, Pretty Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

the views are spectacular. the food is not bad. the prices are ok. but the add ons are annoying (fuel service charge). And the fact that they recommend gratuities INCLUDING the cost of the fuel service charge just frosted me.

worth it for one trip, but not a do again.

Visited March 2012
Washington, DC
“Save Your Money! Jose Wants To Take It All!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

On December 18, 2011, my husband and I celebrated his birthday on the Nina's Dandy. To begin, the cruise departed 30 minutes late because of tardy passengers, but the cruise ship was less than half full, so they needed all the passengers that they could get! For dinner, they served pre-made wilted salads that must have sat in the refrigerator for a while. Luckily, they also served freshly baked hot dinners rolls. Next, we ordered prime rib and baked potatoes that were served just as cold as the salads. For dessert, I ordered apple pie, and my husband ordered cheesecake. The pie was edible, but the cheesecake looked like it had been sitting in the refrigerator next to the wilted salads. For entertainment, they had a piano player whose rendition of holiday songs was like bad karaoke. One of the waiters subbed as the DJ. His playlist included Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, the Temptations, the Average White Band, and Rick James, but that was as close to 2011 as he got. Nowhere to go but up, right? Wrong! Now, it is bill time. I had pre-paid for the cruise six months ago through kgbdeals, so the bill for the night totaled $60 for drinks. Despite everything, it was the holidays and my husband's birthday, so I left a $10 tip, a little more than 15%. Our bar waiter, Jose picks up the check and runs back once he sees the tip to say that the tip is based on the original price (BEFORE kgbdeals) not on what you had tonight!! I told him that he had only brought our drinks and that the other servers had brought our food. He said that he had brought everything but if that was all I wanted to give him then okay. I increased the tip to $20, but neither Nina's Dandy nor Jose deserved it. Save your money and go elsewhere! Jose, don't quit your day job!

• Visited December 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Don't pay full price for brunch, hope for good weather”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Good weather, at least for most of the cruise, is the only thing that made this a nice experience.

And, eat first.

Sunday brunch included mostly tasteless food and undercooked omlets (felt sorry for the woman making two omlets at a time for crowd of about 300 people). To manage crowds, tables are invited one at a times to go to the buffet line, which means you are sitting there smelling someone else's bacon for a long time before you get a chance to eat.

Our table for four was in a poor location, right next to where waiters collected used plates and silverware. It was very loud and very unpleasant.

Food service -- including beverages -- ended abruptly with 45 minutes or so remaining on the cruise as the entire staff concentrated on collecting money, and not on refilling coffee while we lingers over desert.

The "captain's" long and not very interesting discussion of history and landmarks was unnecessary and not really informative.

For all of those complaints, there is nothing nicer that sitting or standing on the top deck of the boat as it cruises by the national munuments and other waterfront highlights.

Since we paid a discount price, and were able to spend a lot of time on the deck, this was not a terrible day but it was disappointing.

I have been on a dinner cruise on the Dandy, and I thought the food and service was better. However, this was several years ago.

• Visited November 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Lohja, Finland
“Good thing we had a Groupon”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

We brought our family that were visiting for our wedding. You can't beat seeing the monuments by night, and having dinner at the same time. Our food was good, and we had used Groupon. If we had paid full price this would have been a ripoff. They added tax, gas surcharge, and some other fees. Otherwise the food was good. The service average but friendly.

• Visited November 2011