“grilled steak” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
RT's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 650 Restaurants in Alexandria
Transit: Bus at corner of Russell and Mount Vernon Avenue
Secunda, South Africa
“grilled steak”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

It was the best steak I have ever eaten! Thank you very very very very nice it was really really lovey.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Alexandria
“Ehhhhhhh!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

A friend and I decided to try something new. I have my local favorites, but have never really found a SUPERB restaurant in Alexandria. Needless to say, this ain't it! Everything - the oysters, the crab soup, and the entrees were "OK" - but nothing noteworthy, especially given the prices.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
“Nice Surprise!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Based on trip advisor reviews, off we went!!
appetizers: "jack daniels" shrimp with crab-not what we expected but tasty nonetheless. was in a creamy sauce
she crab soup-good
entrees:Lamb special of the night. husband states it was very good. i had the stuffed shrimp with crawfish crab and it was delicious. Bread served could use a sprucing up. I need my bread to always be warm and crusy, this was neither but still ok.
Dessert was the special of the night also, white chocolate macadamia nut creme brulee. Awesome!! Husband had the coconut cake, Moist and yummy!!
all in all, good place. would go again

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginia
“Very nice taste of the south”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Our next new restaurant on our list was RT’s..we had heard many great things about it so we decided to give it a try. It is located in Del Ray and very close to Old Town. The parking was really easy, even though they did not appear to have designated parking spots for the establishment.

Atmosphere: The outside of the restaurant looks more like a pool hall than a nice sit-down restaurant, but that didn’t bother us at all. Inside, it is warm and lively with a long bar and a combination of booths and tables. Think circa 1979 or 1983 for décor. Vinyl booths, no table cloths and older furnishings. It had a homey feel but nothing upscale at all. Service: on all levels, EXCELLENT.

Food: Pictures below: We started with the she-crab soup, the alligator stew and the scallops wrapped in bacon.

The she-crab soup was hands-down the very best I have ever tasted. It was rich, spicy, creamy, loaded with crab and sherry. Fantastic. The alligator stew was too heavy handed with the tomato flavors, almost as if they used an overabundance of tomato paste and it did not taste like the flavors were well developed. It was loaded with pieces of alligator and vegetables. The scallops were tender and the bacon fully cooked; I suspect they fried the bundle and then placed the three plump scallops on a nest of barbarque onion straws. Like onion rings but thinner and the sauce was a sweet, sugar cane b-q liquid, not a thick paste. Delicious.

For the main course we tried the veal Oscar, the smothered catfish with shrimp and the filet with crab and béarnaise sauce. We all agreed the catfish was the least desirable dish at the table. Although good, it was not a stand-out. The veal I thought was terrific. It was a tender, breaded piece of veal topped with crawfish, crab and a béarnaise type sauce. It was lightly Cajun spiced. My lovely boyfriend did order the sauce on the side but I think it is a bit dry without the sauce. He liked mine the most. It was tender, well selected piece of filet, cooked a perfect med-rare and the toppings of crab and sauce were delicious. I am frankly torn on which I liked better but he felt the filet was the clear winner and he has the best taste buds at the table!

As for the side dishes, the creamed spinach was good but I prefer mine with more cheese, the rice with garlic was as superb as any I have ever tasted…yummy…and the red beans were below average. I would send you to Popeye’s drive through for better rice and beans…not that I am knocking Popeye’s, their red beans and rice taste very authentic and delicious!

Deserts were bread pudding, chocolate chess pie and the coconut cake. We are not bread pudding lovers but this was some of the best we have tried and will change your mind about bread pudding if you are not a fan. The coconut cake was moist and flavorful with shavings of toasted coconut on top. The chess pie was good but nothing remarkable.

My only real complaint was the pace of the meal. TOO fast. I know that sounds strange but we were not done with our first course when the entrees came. Everything felt so rushed. We got there at 8:00 pm and were back in the car at 9:10…and you can see how much food we tried. We all felt rushed and that we should have been more paced so we could enjoy and relax more.

Go give it a try; I think you will enjoy it.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Olympia
“Jambalaya Sauté”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Having read the TripAdviser reviews and needing to catch a flight at Reagan National, I drove to the restaurant and parked directly in front. (Good sign, no?).

There were only a few patrons, so seating was a snap. From the title, you know what I ordered. It came with a salad. I chose the house dressing and it was yummy. The jambalaya was wonderful and with just the right amount of spiciness. This is a great place. You won't be disappointed.