“Ups and downs” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
RT's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 597 Restaurants in Alexandria
Transit: Bus at corner of Russell and Mount Vernon Avenue
Herndon, Virginia
“Ups and downs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Would have rated this higher if it hadn't been for the fresh oysters on the half shell. We ordered six and when we tasted them it was obvious they had not come from the shell they were served in. They tasted of almost nothing so we think they were out of a jar and placed in a convenient shell. Another give-away? Do oysters have twins? One of mine had two oysters in. All of which is sad as it assumes we 'wouldn't know' We should have said something. BUT the etouffe was excellent and also the gumbo. And the place was almost full on a Wed night so that says something. It's rich in Alexandria history but poor on atmosphere. Why do we have to watch CNN while eating dinner?

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“A true Cajun delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

A simple place that by first sight one could mistake for an average pub, but than you see the details: the friendly owner keeping a professional eye on the patrons and the stuff while chatting with costumes, the friendly service, the excellent bread served to the table and the food, oh that cajun food - simple looking yet deep rooted in its culture and above all tasty. It was reassuring to see police officers and locals cloud the place. Even catfish was surprisingly delicious.
A Cajun spot you leave with a smile on your face

Visited September 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
“Looks are Deceiving! Great menu and delicious Cajun and Creole food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I found this restaurant on the Internet when I was searching for a new restaurant with high ratings. I love cajun and creole food, so I asked my son if he would like to meet me for a new dining experience. When we first got there, I was a bit disappointed by the outside of the building. It is one that I normally wouldn't give a second glance. But, happily, we went inside. The restaurant decor is what you might expect from the outside of the building--nothing fancy. However, we were wowed by their extensive menu and their specials. It was hard to decide between the specials, but my son had the grilled tuna steak sandwich with garlic aioli sauce and red beans and rice (replacing the french fries). The sandwich was huge, and he said it was delicious. I had the haddock special that was coated with corn meal and served over a slightly spicy crawfish succotash. I shared one bite, but then I gobbled up the rest. It was very good and plentiful. I think each of our meals were around the $13-$14 dollar range.

We both agreed that we will definately return.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“Great Cajun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Off the beaten path but worth the trip. Best Cajun north of the bayou. Can't get enough of their crawfish etouffee.

Visited June 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
“Great New Orleans Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The title pretty much says it. Prices suggest that you save it for a special event, though. With tax and tip, budget $30 each, plus alcohol. People in shorts and t-shirts may suffer under the air conditioning but hey, it serves them right. Plenty of on-street parking, with a free public lot a half block to the left, as you face the restaurant. The food is great, but the specials tend to be stand-outs.

Visited July 2013