“Best Cajun Around!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
RT's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 644 restaurants in Alexandria
Transit: Bus at corner of Russell and Mount Vernon Avenue
New Bern, North Carolina
“Best Cajun Around!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Inside is nothing special, with some quirky cajun shadowboxes. Neighborhood is a little sketchy, but we had no problems. Vacant lot across the street with plenty of parking. Server was excellent, food was great, ambiance was average. Still, enjoyed something different among all the "normal" italian, seafood, steak, etc restaurants.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
Alexandria, VA
“EXCELLENT SERVICE AND FOOD, GREAT PLACE TO EAT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

RT's in Alexandria, VA is a great place to eat. The food is innovative and delicious. My friend and I each tried the Salmon served in what seemed to be a worchester/horseradish sauce. Very well prepared and delicious. Not too hot as one might think. Rice (generous portions) and a salad came with the meal. We also tried the creme brulee and key lime pie, both of which were very tasty. The creme brulee had a nutty taste on the top which augmented the flavor. RT's is a popular place. The waiters are there to please. The atmosphere is not terrific but hey this aspect is trumped by the great food. Give it a try for a lunch or dinner. I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Visited April 2013
Alexandria, VA
“Old Faithful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have eaten at RT's since its opening years ago. Through thick and thin (me, that is) it never disappoints. When crisp, fall weather reminds me of "R" months of oyster eating I think RT's for a plate of the best fried oysters this side of the Bay. The tasty fries and expertlt made cole slaw complement a great Virginia meal. The she-crab soup remains the single best soup in northern Virginia as good now as it was when I first tasted it when RT's opened. Unctously rich, triple cremed with the delicate taste of crab this soup was my mother's raison d'tre for visiting Alexandria from Hilton Head. She loved her children but she loved she-crab from RT's maybe more. Everything is tasty, rich, well made and fresh. The new dessert menu features old favorites like lemon chess pie and a new hit; coconut cake liberally flavored with rum! Deelish...looking forward to tasting the Banana Foster Cake on my next trip. One word to the group: put a big ashtray outside...the butts on the sidewalk in front almost ruin one's appetite! Thank you Ralph and frieds for this great eatery!

• Visited March 2013
Lake Ridge, Virginia
“Absolutely phenomenal neighborhood restaurant with Cajun flair.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

This place is in a historically sketchy neighborhood that is attempting to experience a revitalization but don't be fooled, this is the most pleasant and unpretentious location that serves superbly prepared food. The oysters nezbique has mild spiciness with perfectly prepared fried oysters. Everything but the bread and ice cream is prepared in house. Even those items are made in a nearby local establishment. Try the coconut cake, which is heavenly and soaked in rum. The wait staff is kind and courteous and goes out of there way to make your experience wonderful. Mary Kay makes a mean dirty martini and has great food suggestions. Enjoy!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Louisville, KY
“RT's: Great Cajun Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

While on a business trip in Alexandria, VA, I'd noticed that RT's had received excellent reviews on several sites. The menu looked to have wide array of selections so I decided to visit with a co-worker. I was not disappointed.

I had the she-crab soup as an appetizer. It was delicious - very creamy and delicate in taste. My co-worker and I shared the Jack Daniels shrimp and crab appetizer and it also was excellent. The shrimp and crabmeat were in a very rich, creamy, and slighly spicy red sauce. The taste was similar to lobster bisque. My only complaint was that the dish was a little pricy in comparison to the portion.

It took quite a while to make our dinner selections as just about everything sounded good! I chose the "Death by Gumbo", which was a large bowl of gumbo with shrimp, oysters, andouille sausage, and crawfish. It was very good, with a very dark, spicy (but not excessively so) flavor. It came with a good helping of seafood in the gumbo. Again, at $21, a little expensive for gumbo. But the portion size was large and the taste was really wonderful. My co-worker ordered salmon with a mustard hollandaise sauce. She liked the salmon but didn't care for the mustard in the sauce.

Desserts were also good. My co-worker ordered the chocolate mousse and said it was delicious. I ordered the caramel custard but they were out, so I ordered key lime pie instead. Like everything else I had, it was very good.

We had made a reservation although, as it turned out, it wasn't needed. The restaurant wasn't overly crowded, at least not on this particular Thursday night.

I would most definitely return to RT's next time I am in the DC/Alexandria area. I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited March 2013