“Best Bouillabaisse this side of the Atlantic!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of LA Bergerie Restaurant

LA Bergerie Restaurant
218 N. Lee Street, Alexandria, VA 22314 (Old Town)
+1 703-683-1007
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
LA Bergerie Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 608 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: Queen and N. Lee
Transit: King Street Metro
reston va
“Best Bouillabaisse this side of the Atlantic!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

When we climbed the stairs to La Bergerie for lunch, we were looking for a comfortable French meal and a glass of wine after a day of sightseeing and shopping in Old Town Alexandria. Le Bergerie was recommended so we sat down in their oval booth and relaxed. The menu was both in French and English--easy to translate. The bouillabaisse on the menu looked inviting for a slightly coolish day. It was fantastic. The rouille which was provided in a small container accented the toasts so well you hated to be finished with the French soup. The sauvignon blanc which was served by the glass was perfect as well. We had eaten bouillabaisse originally in the South of France--and it was terrific. The portion at La Bergerie was also memorable. Wait staff was solicitous and helpful. Fun experience!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Allison D, Public Relations Manager at LA Bergerie Restaurant, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review-we're happy you enjoyed everything!

Alexandria, Virginia
“Not Impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I wanted to go out to dinner in Old Town and chose La Bergerie only to be disappointed. The service and atmosphere were good and we enjoyed their wine list (if you’re not looking to spend a lot of money on wine, there aren't many options for a good, moderately priced bottle – ours was $80, which was a “special price”).
The real disappointment was the food. First, we ordered a cheese plate. When the cheese came out, neither food runner nor server could tell us what kind of cheese was on the plate except that one was “Bleu”. It took about twenty minutes (and almost the consumption of all the cheese) for the server to return to give us a description from the chef. We didn’t think much of it, but thought it was odd that no one knew what cheeses were on the menu that evening. For our main course, my husband opted to add the lobster tail to his steak ($15 extra), which was served in the shell. The presentation was beautiful; however, the chef forgot to remove the lobster meat from the shell before cooking so that meat stuck to the shell so much that neither of us could get it out. We sent it back per our server’s suggestion who said the chef would be able to get it “in five seconds”. When the lobster returned, it was not in the shell and appeared to be different meat completely, which was extremely chewy. Wwe decided we weren’t meant to have dessert (not there) and left $250 poorer and unsatisfied.
We hope is was a fluke and we were victims to a bad chef, but we will not be returning to La Bergerie nor would we recommend it. Old Town is full of great restaurants and this is the first that didn’t impress us.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginia
“Outstanding Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I had forgotten how wonderful La Bergerie is and what a fabulous dining experience it presents. The atmosphere is elegant but welcoming, with a gentle buzz and flow of conversation. We ate at 6:30 on a Friday and the restaurant was nearly full, with a steady stream of patrons filing tables as they emptied. My crab cake was a touch dry, but nicely flavored. The steak au poivre was beautifully cooked and tasty - even the green beans were delicious (and I'm not usually a fan of these) - and complemented by a lovely and reasonably priced burgundy wine. Grand Mariner soufflé capped off my delicious meal. Everything I had was great, but my husband's choices were even better. The cream of red pepper soup and braised short ribs were amazing. We're already planning to go back to try the lobster with cognac.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lothian, Maryland
“Bad experience at La Bergerie in Old Town Alexandria”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My fiancé and I had reservations at La Bergerie Friday evening. We are local, but had not eaten there yet and were looking forward to it. I called earlier that afternoon to confirm that they had a corkage policy in effect and they confirmed $25/bottle. We arrived early and were
seated immediately and I explained to the waiter that I had brought some wine (high end Champagne and classified growth Bordeaux) that were not on his list and I had pre-arranged this with the receptionist. The waiter said he would have to ask and he brought over a gentleman (I don’t know if it was the owner or manager) who stated that he couldn’t do it this evening because it was Restaurant Week. I explained that is why I called to confirm, I would absolutely pay their corkage fee, and was planning on ordering the extra items above and beyond the Restaurant Week menu that the waiter told me about. The manager seemed more intent on finding out who told me I could bring the wine and asked me to tell him what time I called so he could figure out who was on duty at the time. I told him that as long as he didn’t use the information to get someone in trouble I would show him the time on my iPhone, which I
displayed to him. Without saying a word he abruptly left while I was trying to talk to him and chastised a receptionist and then came back and said he couldn’t accommodate us. I told him we would leave, and we departed, but I could still see him having words with the receptionist.

I found this behavior to be way beneath what I expected, or what I will accept as a paying client. Most importantly, don’t tell me you’re going to discipline your staff if I prove that I properly coordinated an arrangement, and then you have the unprofessionalism to not even honor the prior arrangement. I did not want to argue the point with him because, quite frankly, there
are many excellent accommodating restaurants that behave above that and I prefer to frequent these establishments instead. We ended up going over to Brabo, which had the same corkage policy, had a fantastic meal served by a great wait staff, and had a very enjoyable conversation with the Floor Manager before we called it a night. The juxtaposition couldn’t have been more clear.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Delicious Food and Great Ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My wife and I went to La Bergerie during DC restaurant week. I had the soup for starter which was cream of pepper and praised beef ribs for entree. The soup was delicious, I could have happily eaten several bowels of it! The beef ribs were divine. An all around pleasant experience, we will be going back to this place soon.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere