“Bad experience at La Bergerie in Old Town Alexandria” 1 of 5 stars
Review of LA Bergerie Restaurant

LA Bergerie Restaurant
218 N. Lee Street, Alexandria, VA 22314 (Old Town)
703- 683-1007
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
LA Bergerie Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 651 Restaurants in Alexandria
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: Queen and N. Lee
Transit: King Street Metro
Lothian, Maryland
“Bad experience at La Bergerie in Old Town Alexandria”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My fiancé and I had reservations at La Bergerie Friday evening. We are local, but had not eaten there yet and were looking forward to it. I called earlier that afternoon to confirm that they had a corkage policy in effect and they confirmed $25/bottle. We arrived early and were
seated immediately and I explained to the waiter that I had brought some wine (high end Champagne and classified growth Bordeaux) that were not on his list and I had pre-arranged this with the receptionist. The waiter said he would have to ask and he brought over a gentleman (I don’t know if it was the owner or manager) who stated that he couldn’t do it this evening because it was Restaurant Week. I explained that is why I called to confirm, I would absolutely pay their corkage fee, and was planning on ordering the extra items above and beyond the Restaurant Week menu that the waiter told me about. The manager seemed more intent on finding out who told me I could bring the wine and asked me to tell him what time I called so he could figure out who was on duty at the time. I told him that as long as he didn’t use the information to get someone in trouble I would show him the time on my iPhone, which I
displayed to him. Without saying a word he abruptly left while I was trying to talk to him and chastised a receptionist and then came back and said he couldn’t accommodate us. I told him we would leave, and we departed, but I could still see him having words with the receptionist.

I found this behavior to be way beneath what I expected, or what I will accept as a paying client. Most importantly, don’t tell me you’re going to discipline your staff if I prove that I properly coordinated an arrangement, and then you have the unprofessionalism to not even honor the prior arrangement. I did not want to argue the point with him because, quite frankly, there
are many excellent accommodating restaurants that behave above that and I prefer to frequent these establishments instead. We ended up going over to Brabo, which had the same corkage policy, had a fantastic meal served by a great wait staff, and had a very enjoyable conversation with the Floor Manager before we called it a night. The juxtaposition couldn’t have been more clear.

• Visited February 2013

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Delicious Food and Great Ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My wife and I went to La Bergerie during DC restaurant week. I had the soup for starter which was cream of pepper and praised beef ribs for entree. The soup was delicious, I could have happily eaten several bowels of it! The beef ribs were divine. An all around pleasant experience, we will be going back to this place soon.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“quiet find in Alexandria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

In DC for dinner and catching up with an old friend across the river. La Bergerie was just down the street and after a walk on a bitterly cold night, the warmth, friendliness and quiet efficiency of this neighborhood bistro was welcome. A fine wine list gave many options, heavy on the French and some wines not easy to find in the US. This was braised short rib special night, and the beef literally melted, with a remarkable sauce--a dish that rivaled the best I have had anywhere on any continent. Great bread, a fine potato leek soup with shiitake mushrooms and fresh herbs that was superb. We left wonderfully satisfied and without having to take out a loan on the house. Plus the conversation was lively but balanced--we could actually talk with one another and be heard! Our service was quiet, attentive and subtle and knowledgeable when asked. I will be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
West Virginia
“Memorable dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Each course is made fresh either by the table and prepared right in front of you or a wonderful souffle that melts so nicely in your mouth = quite the dining extravaganza. Great service, too.

Annandale, Virginia
“My Favorite NoVa Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Every time I come here, I always wonder why I don't come here more often. Old style French cuisine at prices that won't break the bank but taste like they would. Very nice menu selection and great service.