“Always worth the trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Taverna Cretekou

Taverna Cretekou
818 King St, Alexandria, VA 22314-3017 (Old Town)
703-548-8688
Neighborhood: Old Town
Wilmington, Delaware
“Always worth the trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

Ate in the outdoor garden on a warm spring night. The place was hopping, both inside and out. We called for reservations earlier that day. Had a table waiting for us even though we arrived a bit late. (We called to let them know we were on our way by foot from the Metro station).

The Taverna has been a favorite of ours for a long time, but we hadn't been to DC for a couple of years. We stay in DC and take the Metro to VA. From the station to the restaurant is about an 8-block walk on King Street. A free shuttle rubber-tired trolley is available. We walked both ways and enjoyed the shop windows.

Service at first was a bit slow, but we weren't on a schedule and the place was very busy on a Friday night. A bottle of red Kouros wine was $22. Entrees are moderately priced. We shared a large salad with beets and the traditional sampler dish, plus a delicious apricot dessert. That was plenty of food for two and sharing avoided that overstuffed feeling that's no fun.

Lots of Greek-speaking waiters -- always a very good sign at an ethnic restaurant. Glad we returned.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Norwalk, CT
“Every aspect of our evening here was WONDERFUL!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

18 of us ate here last Friday night (3/6/09). Can't say enough about every part of our meal. The food was fantastic - everyone in our party was raving about what they ordered - and the service was great, not too hovering, but attentive to our needs. With I don't know how many bottles of their incredible wine (KOUROS - KOURTAKI - PATRAS, $28.00/bottle), the entire bill, tip and tax included was right around $65.00 per person. WELL worth the visit!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Reston, Virginia
“Excellent Greek cuisine, poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2009

Taverna Cretekou has the best greek food I have eaten in the United States. The owners, and most of the staff, are extremely friendly.

Which brings me to my complaint, our server was extremely rude. I've eaten here before and never had such an uncomfortable experience. He never refilled our beverages and, if not for the manager asking us if we needed anything, would not have gotten refills. We set for 15 minutes before he came to take our drink order. He responded with one word responses to everything. We sat for 45 minutes in which he never came over to the table to check on us. Eventually I just got up and walk to the register where he eventually produced our bill without saying a word. I wanted to say something to the manager or owner but I did not see them in the restaurant on the way out.

I feel that the employees, as much as the food, making a fine dining experience great and in this situation, the server at Taverna Cretekou left us feeling like we were unwelcome. I know that all of the staff are not this way but I do not want to cross paths with this server again.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good menu. Helpful staff. The outdoor patio is great fun when the weather is nice. Several vegan options.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

“Very Good !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

My husband and I went for our 4th anniversary dinner. It was very good. The wine suggested by our waiter was perfect. We enjoyed all of our food. We loved our experience!