“Greek cuisine in Old Town” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Taverna Cretekou

Taverna Cretekou
818 King St, Alexandria, VA 22314-3017 (Old Town)
703-548-8688
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Alexandria, Virginia
“Greek cuisine in Old Town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The cuisine is very good Greek, with indoor and outdoor seating (seasonal). Service is good. Lamb dishes are particularly well prepared.

Visited October 2012

USA
“Great food but rushed.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

My husband and I ordered the 2 combination plates to get a little taste of everything and I would definitely recommend both, however, we had our food before we could barely take a sip of our wine. From the minute we sat down our very competent and personable waiter wanted to take our order before we had time to look at the extensive menu. There seemed to be pressure to order ,eat and leave. We would go here again, but would now tell the waiter to give us some time. Go for the food!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Amazing and very Greek”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I was raised in a Greek household and, while no restaurant can match my Greek mother's cooking, this comes the closest. First of all, the owners and staff are very glad you are there and they let you know that. Even after they got really busy around 7:30, they were still very attentive. I tried their gaspacho (not very Greek, but I knew it would be good) for appetizer and enjoyed it. I had a fish (brassini, brazzini?), which the owner said was flown in daily from Greece. It was cooked to perfection and excellent. My wife had a lamb shoulder with sun-dried tomatoes and found it excellent also. The music started at about 7:30 and the staff did a bit of Greek dancing which was very entertaining. For desert, we had the Galaktoboureko and enjoyed it. All in all, we'll go back every time we're in the DC area.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful patio dining. Mediocre food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We sat on the patio for lunch. The service was not the best & we hoped the food was better. It was not. I ordered my gyro with sauce only and it came with everything. The staff watched me trying to scrape the items off and did not offer to make it right. We isn't see our server again until the end. She even sounded surprised that we were not going to have dessert. No thank you. Do not recommend.

Visited June 2013
Canada
“Tasteless dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Had supper, I had the lamb souvlaki and my wife had the chicken souvlaki. Both meals lacked spices, flavor and meat was tough. The server kept on pressuring us to order dinner as if they waited us to eat and fill our table for the next customer. We were there for about 50 minutes. Dinner comprised of about 5 pieces of meat and rice. I would not go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere