“Perfect for a cozy, romantic night out” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Geranio Ristorante

Geranio Ristorante
722 King St, Alexandria, VA 22314-3015 (Old Town)
703-548-0088
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Geranio Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 650 Restaurants in Alexandria
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: Columbus Street
Transit: King Street Metro
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Perfect for a cozy, romantic night out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

While most of my reviews are related to my near constant travel overseas, I occasionaly write one about my neighborhood eateries. Old Town Alexandria has many, and we continue to try out each one, although it will take years to sample them all.

Geranio is close to our house, so we have been remiss in not trying it earlier. Our reluctance has always been the extremely high standards we set for Italian food, having lived in Italy from 2004-2009.

Geranio is, like virtually all Italian restaurants in the U.S., not quite fully Italian, so those expecting a meal like they might get in Parma or Bologna will be disappointed. We came with low expectations and were pleasantly surprised. The chef has taken Italian dishes and in all honesty, has come up with a sinfully delicious unique recipes that will bring us back often.

The four of us tried different dishes, and we all were reluctant to share. My open range roasted chicken on a bed of risotto with a heavenly sauce that took me back to meals in southern Tuscany almost brought tears to my eyes. The pork tenderloin was succulent, with a similar sauce, and the salmon was excellent, although I would never come here for that dish.

What I found particularly enjoyable was the starter bruschetta. There are many variations of this peasant fare, but this one was like none other that I have experienced. The crispy bread with a layer of cheese on it was very off putting. But it came with two sauces for dipping, and both were divine. When I finished the bruschetta, I told the waiter to leave the sauces. They were that luscious.

The dessert, not unlike desserts in Italy, were undistinguished. I wisely chose the berries in cream, which was a perfect ending. My wife chose the tiramisu, and while there are many variations of this Italian dessert, she placed this one way down the list of those she has sampled.

The atmosphere of the restaurant is cozy and warm, perfect for a romantic meal or a gathering of friends who wish to relax and enjoy good food in a quiet setting, the opposite of Murphy's bar across the street. If you want raucous, head over there after you meal at Geranio's.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Alexandria, Virginia
“Outstanding Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Great fresh Italian food in a charming space. The selections are both tradional and a bit creative. The staff is very pleasant and helpful. Three of my favorites are the lobster risotto, the mussels, and the swordfish.

Visited January 2013
Tampa, Florida
“Happy New Year, Again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

For the 2nd straight year we celebrated the incoming new year at Geranio's. My wife loves it and so do I. They have a fantastic 5 course meal in a very romantic setting. The service again was outstanding, but you get what you pay for. The New Year's dinner is very expensive but worth the experience. The everyday prices are much more affordable, so I recommend going on one of the 354 other days of the year. Another must go to place!

Arlington, Virginia
“Wonderful treat in Old Town - great food and style!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My partner and I ate here for New Years Eve as part of their $75 5-course dinner. Every course was delicious, especially the prosciutto wrapped mozzarella and the risotto. I had the beef as the main course and my partner had the lobster dish. We really enjoyed the food and will definitely be back. The wine list was great, too.

I really consider this a hidden gem in Old Town, as we were both pleasantly surprised by how cute it was inside. We will definitely be back here again and again!

Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
“Excellent food, European style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This was date night and we made a reservation about 3 days ahead of time through Open Table, the next morning, I was called by the restaurant to push the reservation about 1/2 hour. They called at 8:30am to do this that was nice, I was able to adjust the babysitter. We arrived about 10 minutes early, but were seated right away. There were several large parties as it is the holiday season so we were seated at a table right by the kitchen, which wasn't terrible, but wait staff were walking by quite often and it was a bit noisy, a table up front would have been nicer. The prices were right and my husband had the veal special and said it was fantastic. I have some health restrictions but in looking at the menu prior I knew I would be fine and I ordered several small items, sides, which were quite satisfactory. The atmosphere was very European and the wine list was extensive. It was a lovely date.