“Good with Groups; Go for the Traditional Dishes” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Gadsby's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 651 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cameron Street
Description: Gadsby's Tavern has been offering fine dining since 1770. Enjoy lunch and dinner in one of the elegant Colonial dining rooms. The one-of-a-kind Gadsby's Tavern experience awaits you.
Dayton, Ohio
“Good with Groups; Go for the Traditional Dishes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

I joined a large group of coworkers at this landmark Old Town Alexandria eatery that could easily be termed a museum of colonial dining. Several dishes on the menu purportedly mirror their 1780's origins so closely, you could readily imagine you're dining with old George W (the FIRST, not the 43d) himself.

While my path was a culinary dead end (I went for the prime rib, which, in my opinion, was flavorful but a bit chewy), several of my cohort found paradise with one of the quaint originals, the Gentleman's Pye. This particular dish, a very tempting bowl of lamb and beef stewed in wine with a puff pastry top crust, received rave reviews, as did the lamb chops, the pork chops, and the filets of beef ordered around the table. The assorted side dishes ordered were also well appreciated, but I noted several plates were cleared still holding large clumps of the "daily vegetables" served with most of the entrees. For my part, I particularly enjoyed the wedge salad, a crisp and refreshing quarter head of iceberg served with crumbled bleu cheese, bacon bits, thinly sliced red onion, a quartered tomato, and a tangy horseradish dressing on the side.

Gadsby's (being a tavern, doh!) has a long and varied wine list along with a good mix of traditional-style ales to quench your colonial thirst; sadly, they are not local beers, coming instead bottled from Philadelphia's Yards brewery. I would imagine Gadsby's of old served more local fare.

Overall, the ambiance is hard to beat; rustic hand-hewn floors, antique glass in the windows, and the matching antique tables. I give them high marks for service -- the restaurant handled our rather large group very well, but I have to say, at those prices, I don't expect to get a chewy prime rib. I'd still go back -- and order the Gentleman's Pye or the filet.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Saratoga Springs, New York
“Wish they tried harder”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Being a history buff, I was excited to have dinner in this historic building. The dinner was fine, nothing spectacular, and somewhat pricey (though the bread was really good). The waitress was pleasant in a lackluster, spacey way. What I found most disappointing was that there was no emphasis on the building's history. Some materials on the table to tell you about the building, the various rooms, etc. would have been so terrific. If I hadn't read about the place before going, I would have known nothing about its historical significance.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cornwall, Canada
“Service was very good - food not so much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

This is definitely a tourist attraction more than it is a fine restaurant. The service was good. The food however, was served warm and flavourless.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sanatoga
“Colonial charm in Old Alexandria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

My daughter attends GWU in Washington DC, so we almost always stay in Alexandria VA when my wife and I come to visit. Gadsby's Tavern had always been a required meal whenever we are here. When we were here over the Christmas holiday, we toured the building by day, and dined here in the evening. We were delighted not just by the food, but also by a costumed colonial man who engaged us in conversation about the ongoing War of 1812! He was quite funny and amusing....looking forward to seeing him again!

Visited December 2013
Mesa, Arizona
“Great old Tavern where founding fathers gathered”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We had a great experience from the service to the food to the atmosphere. We had no problem making reservations for dinner and we were seated promptly in the main dining area by the bar. My wife ask if there was a favorite place that George Washington used to request. They re-seated us in the back dining room in front of the fireplace. That made a huge difference and I would suggest requesting to be seated there. They were fairly busy, but the service was right on time and very freindly. The food was fantastic. I had the prime rib that wasn't the best I have ever had, but was good. We ordered a side of the Corn Pudding and it was amazing, not just creamed corn. I would highly recommend going to this historic tavern.

• Visited July 2014