“Old world French dining in Old Town Alexandria” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Refuge Restaurant

Le Refuge Restaurant
127 N Washington St, Ste C, Alexandria, VA 22314-3176 (Old Town)
703-548-4661
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
“Old world French dining in Old Town Alexandria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

After reading multiple positive reviews my wife and I decided to give Le Refuge a try. What a wonderful experience! Seating is tight and cozy, very intimate and the walls are lined from floor to ceiling with French decor. As soon as we walked through the door we were transported across the Atlantic to a little restaurant in the middle of France. We''ll be back!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

91% Recommend
Chesapeake, Virginia
“You must try this place once”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

My friend was in the mood for French today, and gave the names of three French places in Old town. I came to trust trip advisor, saw how highly rated the restaurant was, and decided we must go.

You walk in, and it isn't very big. You are greeted with a smile and feel like you have entered someone's home, not a restaurant.
The decor is cute, and the atmosphere cozy. I would recommend for a date night, a girl's night, or a special occasion.

We split an appetizer of warm mushroom caps. the were mouth watering ly good, stuffed with fresh crab meat and on a bed of a type of cream sauce. The dishes looked as good as they tasted but I didn't want to ruin the atmosphere with pictures. I had the Wellington, and it was AMAZING. There was a potato gratin side as well as some zucchini with some carrot purée and some cabbage. We then split a house recommended dessert (puff pastry filled with ice cream and served with choc. Sauce and whipped cream.). I ended thermal with a decaf cappuccino.

It was expensive...but in my opinion worth every penny. I will def go here the next time I am in town.

• Visited April 2013
Springfield, Virginia, United States
“Great food, charming but cramped location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Yes, the space is tight, and it can be pretty noisy. However, the charm and the food more than make up for it. The filet mignon au poivre was delicious! The kind of dish that makes you sad to take the last bite! The service, also, was excellent. If there was a little more breathing room, and perhaps some soundproofing, I'd be there on a regular basis.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Alexandria, Virginia
“Really a Best for Old Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Charming, French, affordable good wines, wonderful, timeless standards on the menu, well prepared and served by friendly, attentive staff-- and now and then a surprise (the three soups appetizer, for example). Is anything here the best I have ever had. Yes! To name one, the soft-shell crabs. Birthday response is just outstanding. I flat out love this place. Seating can be too close, but there is nothing else to criticize. Everyone you see there is enjoying it to no end. You will, too. It can be hard to get a reservation on weekends, but plan ahead! Don't miss it.

• Visited January 2013
nj
“Food 10, chairs 2”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Oui, oui! The restaurant was as adorable as it gets. The owner/front of the house is authentic French. The food was incredible. My friend had escargot - I could have ordered two of those. I had warm mushroom caps with crabmeat melt In your mouth. Beef Wellington done to perfection. I have cassoulet. The flavors were distinct and married very well together. Followed with a dessert we split the poached pear with vanilla ice cream homemade whipped cream and chocolate sauce. I wish I lived here. She sat at the banquette I'm sure it was comfortable I have a small rickety chair it was a little uncomfortable as well as place right near the front door of little bit of a draft but overall the restaurant was authentic and wonderful

• Visited March 2013