“I think the best bistro in Alexandria” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Refuge Restaurant

Le Refuge Restaurant
127 N Washington St, Ste C, Alexandria, VA 22314-3176 (Old Town)
703-548-4661
Good for: Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“I think the best bistro in Alexandria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Do you love cheese and pate? Really? Oh, me too, I could eat it every day!
Well, could doesn't mean you should, I don't work out, so, I'm in the shouldn't category.

I took my husband here last week, and we've already returned for a second trip, and I'll probably be back next week too.

The cheese plate was exquisite ($15)...the pate, oh so yummy ($9)...beef wellington ($25ish) was cooked to perfection.
Drink prices are reasonable. The atmosphere is very quaint, and romantic.

• Visited September 2011

“Fabulous French Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

Last night was our first time and we were very pleased. Best onion soup I've had in a long time. Rockfish bernaise was superb. Mussels were terrific. A tad noisy inside so we ate at one of the two small tables outside - delightful. Excellent service.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington, DC
“How French food should be!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

My husband and I went out to Le Refuge on a recent date-night and it was such a relaxing, delicious, and rejuvenating meal! We found the prices reasonable for the quality of food, the lively and comfortable ambiance, and the sweet service. We found their budget ($28) Merlot a decent bottle to accompany our delish food; we highly recommend the mushrooms stuffed with crab meat, the rockfish special, and the roasted quails stuffed with goat cheese in a pepper cream sauce. We ended the night leisurely with their generous cheese plate. Truly a place of refuge in busy Old Town! Definitely make a reservation, as the place was absolutely packed on Saturday night.

Visited August 2011
Alexandria, Virginia
“Simply The Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

I have been going here off and on for 20 years. I hadn't been in awhile and a friend wanted Boullibaise. They were totally booked, but got us in early. Everything was sublime. Hot crusty bread, frogs legs, sweetbreads. I had the filet with Bernaise. It's just a wonderful, solid dining experience with kind service and a wonderful menu. I usually have thier salmon encroute (nice) and rack of lamb (perfect)
Totally supported by a loyal fan of regulars, Le Refuge is indeed worth the money. (Compared to other places, very reasonable.) Cozy and charming.
Off the beaten track so tourists don't really know about it.

• Visited June 2011
Alexandria, Virginia
“Like being transported to France”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

Small charming restaurant with excellent food. Service & ambiance are also fine. We have dined there several times and always enjoyed the experience. Also recommended to friends who agreed with us. Like stepping back in time and space to a French village.

• Visited January 2011