“Worth looking for...it's kind of tucked away” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Bakeries
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Alexandria, Virginia
“Worth looking for...it's kind of tucked away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We were across the street from Dairy Godmother (another great place) when I spotted this place which has a long driveway to the store. Once inside, it's kind of a small place, and they offer pastries that are gluten free, and samples of decorated cakes. I got the pecan tart, lemon curd tart, and a cookied called the chocolate crackle(?).......omg, this is amazing.
Most tarts are kind of sweet even when they say "tart"....not this place. The lemon curd had a good strong lemon flavor that was not sweet, and the pecan tart was rich with the right mix of filling and pecan versus many store bought pecan pies that have more filling than pecans.
This place is worth visiting several times over just to try everything they have...and that means I'm going back!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Fairfield, Pennsylvania
“Very good gluten-free treats”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

My friend who lives in the area insisted we stop here to get something for dessert. I've never had gluten-free before and I wasn't sure what to expect. First of all, if you are a new customer there you can get a free sample of their small desserts. I had the lemon curd and it was so good, so refreshing. I also got the vanilla cupcake with salted caramel....I have to say it was a little bland. It was still good but just not what I'm used to. I'm sure those who have a gluten allergy would love this place though.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach, VA
“Amazing simple gluten free bakery!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

This place was so yummy! I'm gluten free (and avoid soy though it's not an allergy) and so although this small bakery had macaroons and a few cupcakes, what we got was DELICIOUS! We had a s'mores cupcake, vanilla cupcake with salted caramel icing (shockingly yummy, I thought it would be rather plain), and a marble cheesecake. The prices were very reasonable. Wish I had remembered to take a picture! They had two benches outside, so it could use more seating. Walk or take the #10 bus route, it's about a mile from the Braddock Rd. Metro stop (blue line).

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lac du Flambeau, Wisconsin
“Wedding delights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Our son and daughter-in-law had The Happy Tart make their wedding cake; it was almond cake with raspberry with butter cream icing. One of the tastiest cakes I have ever enjoyed. They also made a wonderful chocolate caramel sheet cake. Gluten free and delicious!

• Visited April 2014
Alexandria
“Pastry Heaven for those with celiac disease”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Gluten free or not, the pastry chef is beyond talented. You must try the flakey butter crust. A few good options for those who are avoiding milk due to allergies. That is one thing this reviewer would love to see expand...more dairy free options for a GF milk allergic child

• Visited June 2013