“A gem of a restaurant!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sam Phao Thai Cuisine

Sam Phao Thai Cuisine
1019 King Street, Alexandria, VA (Old Town)
703.548.3736
Cuisines: Thai
Neighborhood: Old Town
Neighborhood: Old Town
Philadelphia, PA
“A gem of a restaurant!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I needed a somewhat quick, affordable dinner at the end of a business trip to Alexandria, while waiting for my Amtrak train to arrive. This restaurant is about 5-6 blocks from the Amtrak/Metro station, across the street from Alexandria Cupcakes. The prices are quite reasonable, and the atmosphere is relaxed/casual.

I ordered the crispy wonton and a bowl of Tom Yum soup with shrimp. Both dishes were flavorful and delicious, but my favorite was the soup. The lemongrass based-soup was slightly spicy and slightly citrus-y with spoon-sized shrimp and mushrooms. If I had had a way to keep it refrigerated on the train ride home, I would have ordered some to bring home with me!

My order was just over $11. I will definitely return during my next trip to Alexandria.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

84% Recommend
Plymouth, Michigan
“Good Thai You Can Afford”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

During a recent visit to Alexandria, looking for a casual-dress (jeans) non-mortgage-causing restaurant for a casual meal, we asked a friend who works and eats daily along Alexandria's King Street for a recommendation. With no hesitation, Sam Phao is where he sent us. Turns out our friend eats lunch here almost every day, so he knew the food. Sam Phao is a tiny, little place. The decor is anything but memorable. But since you're not here to eat the walls, you'll find straight-up good Thai food at prices that are very reasonable. I had the pineapple chicken -- tasty, very enjoyable, served in a hollowed-out pineapple half. At this point, I don't remember what the other two diners had, but their selections were enjoyed, as well. Bottom line, for a come-as-you-are setting, good Thai food at very reasonable prices, give Sam Phao's a try!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Arlington, Virginia
“Great restaurant, fast service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Had a late Memorial Day lunch with a good friend. Pretty robust menu - ordered the tom yum soup with shrimp and the pad thai with shrimp. Service was friendly and food came out very quickly. Was delicious! Lunch prices were also competitive, particularly considering Old Town prices. Would definitely return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tuebingen
“Tasty and reasonably priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Not bad. Very good flavors. And excellent prices for King Street. We ordered green curry which wasn't the best that I have ever tasted but it was good. We also ordered the Kea Mao which was exceptional... Nice and spicy. Hotel recommended the place. We were happy. On a side note, this place is not fancy... So if you are trying to impress anyone, this may not be the place to go. If you are just catching up with an old friend, this place is perfect. Dinner entrees were around $10 -$12 each.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginia
“Our favorite Thai place in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We have tried a few, but Sam Phao is our absolute favorite. My husband has been to Thailand about 16 times for work, so he is pretty picky when it comes to his Thai food. The food is delicious & the staff is so friendly. The prices are pretty good, especially for Old Town. The decor is pretty cheesy, but the food more than makes up for it. We have been so many times & have tried so many dishes and none of disappointed us yet.

Visited April 2013