“Clean and comfortable, but...” 2 of 5 stars

Budget Host Travelers Motel
5916 Richmond Highway, Alexandria, VA 22303 (Huntington)   |
Ranked #35 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
New York
“Clean and comfortable, but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

When we first arrived at this hotel, I thought we had found one of the area’s best kept secrets:
- Friendly and very helpful staff
- Check in as early as 11:00am
- Clean room
- 15 minute walk to Huntington Metro (or less than a 5 minute drive. The hotel provides a shuttle to the metro but we did not use it).
- Right off the highway
- Close to restaurants, stores etc
- Priced well
- Microwave and fridge in room

However, we will not be staying here again for one reason: the walls are extremely thin. We could hear every time the people in rooms next to us flushed the toilet, washed their hands, took a shower, or blew their nose (true story). Sadly this is a deal breaker for us as it led to a night of being jolted awake every time someone used the water. If the walls were thicker this place would be a 4, if not a 5.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
paul5050511, Manager at Budget Host Travelers Motel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Madam;

I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. We try our best to run a quiet Motel. We have had over 1700+ customers so far this year. This is our first noise complaint. Again I appologise for your discomfort and hope that you will give us another chance some time in the future.

Sincerly
Paul Blunt
Manager

36 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Greeneville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

It's a little cozy hotel, but the rooms are clean, no bedbugs to report, and the front manager Allen is cordial/adorably enthusiastic. The neighborhood isn't sketchy or ghetto at all (as I hear the area across the river is, Anacostia), and it's literal seconds from the beltway. Two miles from the gorgeous quaint little downtown, everything you could visit is pretty proximal to this great place. At nearly 90 (all included) for a night it's a bit on the sticker-shock side for a camping or hostel traveler but for a family of road warriors (mom, dad, six year old daughter) it's perfect!

• Stayed March 2013
paul5050511, Manager at Budget Host Travelers Motel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
We are glad you had a nice time! Safe travels to you and your family.

Paul
Albuquerque, NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have stayed at Budget Host before and found it to be a great deal. Our recent stay was no exception. In an area where lodging can be through the roof, it is reasonably priced. The staff were all friendly and helpful, & you sometimes see the owner right there on the property. The room was not updated but was clean. We had a fridge and microwave. The shower was great, the bed comfortable. I like being able to park right outside the room. The location is not ideal, but it's convenient to major highways and not too far from a metro stop. We'll definitely stay there again!!

Room Tip: All the rooms we've stayed in have been similar.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed one night at this hotel, taking a chance that it would be safe and convenient. The price seemed too good to be true. Although the hotel is old and the rooms small, we would definitely stay here again. The negatives are that the bed was just a full size, the bathroom only big enough for one person, the sheets a little scratchy and there is a lot of traffic noise. The positives are that the price is so reasonable, the staff was very friendly, our room included FREE Wifi, microwave and refrigerator and we were able to park just outside of our door for no additional parking fee. The location is very convenient to all DC attractions and the Metro station is only about 1/2 mile away -- with free parking on the weekends there, too. My boyfriend brought along a "white noise" machine and that took care of the traffic sounds. We felt safe and the room was clean and pleasant. If you would rather spend your money on something besides a fancy view and a workout room, try this hotel next time you go to DC.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
paul5050511, Manager at Budget Host Travelers Motel, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thanks for your nice review! I have a white noise machine I use at my house to help me sleep, I could not live with out it!
Helena, MT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

If you think customer service does not exist you need to stay here. A simple, no frills mom & pops motel that does care about your experience at their motel and you impression of Alexandria! Came at the beginning of the heat wave to the DC area - WOW! Walked to the motel from the Metro - and survived the grueling heat and humidity. The next 2 times we were headed to the Metro they gave us a ride and would not accept a tip. This was a wonderful start to our DC trip - even though we only had one day in Alexandria and just needed a clean place to stay before we moved down the road to Capitol Hill. Thank you Budget Host Travelers - we were hot, but we had a fabulous trip!! Would definitively come back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed here 3 nights in April 2012. We rode our folding bikes (they are allowed on the Metro anytime) to the Huntington yellow line Metro Station and found it was close and easy to get to. The staff were friendly and helpful and had lots of suggestions for bike riding in the area. The room was clean and smell free. The breakfast was not fantastic but we picked up our own croissants in the city and their coffee is good. We will stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011 via mobile

I had a wonderful time here- I have never received such accommodating service in my life! My flight was delayed, so I didn't get into the motel until 3 am. They told me I could check out at 1 pm instead of 11, allowed me to leave my bag behind their desk while I ate lunch the following day! The rooms we're spacious and clean, free fast internet and the bed was SUPER comfortable!! And it's still cheaper than a lot of the places nearby! If I was a motel, I would date this motel!!! LOVE.

• Stayed July 2011

Been to Budget Host Travelers Motel? Share your experiences!