“Still a Great Deal” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Albuquerque, NM
“Still a Great Deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have stayed at Budget Host before and found it to be a great deal. Our recent stay was no exception. In an area where lodging can be through the roof, it is reasonably priced. The staff were all friendly and helpful, & you sometimes see the owner right there on the property. The room was not updated but was clean. We had a fridge and microwave. The shower was great, the bed comfortable. I like being able to park right outside the room. The location is not ideal, but it's convenient to major highways and not too far from a metro stop. We'll definitely stay there again!!

Room Tip: All the rooms we've stayed in have been similar.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed one night at this hotel, taking a chance that it would be safe and convenient. The price seemed too good to be true. Although the hotel is old and the rooms small, we would definitely stay here again. The negatives are that the bed was just a full size, the bathroom only big enough for one person, the sheets a little scratchy and there is a lot of traffic noise. The positives are that the price is so reasonable, the staff was very friendly, our room included FREE Wifi, microwave and refrigerator and we were able to park just outside of our door for no additional parking fee. The location is very convenient to all DC attractions and the Metro station is only about 1/2 mile away -- with free parking on the weekends there, too. My boyfriend brought along a "white noise" machine and that took care of the traffic sounds. We felt safe and the room was clean and pleasant. If you would rather spend your money on something besides a fancy view and a workout room, try this hotel next time you go to DC.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
paul5050511, Manager at Budget Host Travelers Motel, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thanks for your nice review! I have a white noise machine I use at my house to help me sleep, I could not live with out it!
Helena, MT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

If you think customer service does not exist you need to stay here. A simple, no frills mom & pops motel that does care about your experience at their motel and you impression of Alexandria! Came at the beginning of the heat wave to the DC area - WOW! Walked to the motel from the Metro - and survived the grueling heat and humidity. The next 2 times we were headed to the Metro they gave us a ride and would not accept a tip. This was a wonderful start to our DC trip - even though we only had one day in Alexandria and just needed a clean place to stay before we moved down the road to Capitol Hill. Thank you Budget Host Travelers - we were hot, but we had a fabulous trip!! Would definitively come back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed here 3 nights in April 2012. We rode our folding bikes (they are allowed on the Metro anytime) to the Huntington yellow line Metro Station and found it was close and easy to get to. The staff were friendly and helpful and had lots of suggestions for bike riding in the area. The room was clean and smell free. The breakfast was not fantastic but we picked up our own croissants in the city and their coffee is good. We will stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I had a wonderful time here- I have never received such accommodating service in my life! My flight was delayed, so I didn't get into the motel until 3 am. They told me I could check out at 1 pm instead of 11, allowed me to leave my bag behind their desk while I ate lunch the following day! The rooms we're spacious and clean, free fast internet and the bed was SUPER comfortable!! And it's still cheaper than a lot of the places nearby! If I was a motel, I would date this motel!!! LOVE.

• Stayed July 2011
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stayed here while visiting Washington, D.C. While most everything in the reviews about this place was true, it does have room for improvement. Here are those areas:

1. Both mattresses in our room were completely worn out. The one closest to the bathroom sagged horribly in the middle while the one closest to the door angled down to the left (nightstand) side. This lead to everyone in the room getting a poor night's sleep each night.
2. Every time the occupants of the smoking room next door to our non-smoking room lit up a cigarette, we could smell it in our room. It was so strong, it would wake us from a deep sleep.
3. The walls between rooms are quite thin and we could hear the same smoking couple having sex. It wasn't particularly loud sex, just a low, rhythmic grunting. This also woke us from a deep sleep. Luckily, my children thought they were snoring.
4. There's no pen or pad of paper in the room to fill out the feedback card, so I didn't.
5. The feedback card is not postage paid, so I didn't bother to fill it out later and mail it to them once I did find a pen.
6. When told of the room problems, I was told to fill out the above card. I would have thought the desk help could have written down the issues for me instead.
7. The room door could only be completely closed or opened by me, a fully grown man. It required bashing it shut with my hip and yanking it open with both hands and all my weight. This could be a safety issue in a fire. The door or frame need to be planed down to overcome the interference fit between them.
8. The shower curtain had mildew on it on the back, bottom edge against the tub. My children thought it was gross, though it didn't bug me.

On the plus side, because it is so close to the river, this part of the neighborhood isn't scary (no foot traffic, no retail traffic). However, drive just a little ways down US-1 in the direction away from downtown Alexandria to the other nearby hotels and restaurants, and the neighborhood does get a little scary/rundown. Okay in the daytime, but I wouldn't risk it at night.

Overall, it is an affordable place by DC standards to jump off from for trips into DC. It's close to the Huntington Metro stop ( though I'd consider it too far to walk at 0.9 miles by my odometer), US-1, I-495, and I-295. The staff are all friendly and helpful and the rooms are clean.

Room Tip: Ask for any room with the newest mattresses
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
paul5050511, Manager at Budget Host Travelers Motel, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Thank you for you comments. We have addressed your concerns.
Prospect Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Clean and convenient to many things. Metro walking distance, staff very nice and helpful. Will stay here when we come to DC again.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family