“A very sweet stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Helena, MT
“A very sweet stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

If you think customer service does not exist you need to stay here. A simple, no frills mom & pops motel that does care about your experience at their motel and you impression of Alexandria! Came at the beginning of the heat wave to the DC area - WOW! Walked to the motel from the Metro - and survived the grueling heat and humidity. The next 2 times we were headed to the Metro they gave us a ride and would not accept a tip. This was a wonderful start to our DC trip - even though we only had one day in Alexandria and just needed a clean place to stay before we moved down the road to Capitol Hill. Thank you Budget Host Travelers - we were hot, but we had a fabulous trip!! Would definitively come back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed here 3 nights in April 2012. We rode our folding bikes (they are allowed on the Metro anytime) to the Huntington yellow line Metro Station and found it was close and easy to get to. The staff were friendly and helpful and had lots of suggestions for bike riding in the area. The room was clean and smell free. The breakfast was not fantastic but we picked up our own croissants in the city and their coffee is good. We will stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011 via mobile

I had a wonderful time here- I have never received such accommodating service in my life! My flight was delayed, so I didn't get into the motel until 3 am. They told me I could check out at 1 pm instead of 11, allowed me to leave my bag behind their desk while I ate lunch the following day! The rooms we're spacious and clean, free fast internet and the bed was SUPER comfortable!! And it's still cheaper than a lot of the places nearby! If I was a motel, I would date this motel!!! LOVE.

• Stayed July 2011
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stayed here while visiting Washington, D.C. While most everything in the reviews about this place was true, it does have room for improvement. Here are those areas:

1. Both mattresses in our room were completely worn out. The one closest to the bathroom sagged horribly in the middle while the one closest to the door angled down to the left (nightstand) side. This lead to everyone in the room getting a poor night's sleep each night.
2. Every time the occupants of the smoking room next door to our non-smoking room lit up a cigarette, we could smell it in our room. It was so strong, it would wake us from a deep sleep.
3. The walls between rooms are quite thin and we could hear the same smoking couple having sex. It wasn't particularly loud sex, just a low, rhythmic grunting. This also woke us from a deep sleep. Luckily, my children thought they were snoring.
4. There's no pen or pad of paper in the room to fill out the feedback card, so I didn't.
5. The feedback card is not postage paid, so I didn't bother to fill it out later and mail it to them once I did find a pen.
6. When told of the room problems, I was told to fill out the above card. I would have thought the desk help could have written down the issues for me instead.
7. The room door could only be completely closed or opened by me, a fully grown man. It required bashing it shut with my hip and yanking it open with both hands and all my weight. This could be a safety issue in a fire. The door or frame need to be planed down to overcome the interference fit between them.
8. The shower curtain had mildew on it on the back, bottom edge against the tub. My children thought it was gross, though it didn't bug me.

On the plus side, because it is so close to the river, this part of the neighborhood isn't scary (no foot traffic, no retail traffic). However, drive just a little ways down US-1 in the direction away from downtown Alexandria to the other nearby hotels and restaurants, and the neighborhood does get a little scary/rundown. Okay in the daytime, but I wouldn't risk it at night.

Overall, it is an affordable place by DC standards to jump off from for trips into DC. It's close to the Huntington Metro stop ( though I'd consider it too far to walk at 0.9 miles by my odometer), US-1, I-495, and I-295. The staff are all friendly and helpful and the rooms are clean.

Room Tip: Ask for any room with the newest mattresses
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
paul5050511, Manager at Budget Host Travelers Motel, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Thank you for you comments. We have addressed your concerns.
Prospect Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Clean and convenient to many things. Metro walking distance, staff very nice and helpful. Will stay here when we come to DC again.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
wylam, northumberland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

My friend and I stayed here last week. IWe were very impressed with the hotel.
The bedroom was spotless, it had a modern new bathroom. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Nothing was a bother. In the morning there was a free breakfast coffee, orange juice fruit and bagels. Perfect. The icing on the cake was the cost of the rooms so reasaonable we could not belive it.
An excellent little gem.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Albuquerque, NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

This motel was a great find for us. We were visiting relatives for a week and needed an affordable place to stay. The first night was rocky, as there was a leak in the room. They immediately moved us to another room, even helped us carry our things. There was a fridge, microwave, and wonderfully comfortable bed & good shower. If you're looking for luxury, it's not for you. If you're looking to stay comfortably without breaking the bank, I would highly recommend it. Right off the beltway, not too far from a metro stop. There is a considerable amount of traffic noise, but it didn't keep us awake.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Budget Host Travelers Motel? Share your experiences!