We stayed here while visiting Washington, D.C. While most everything in the reviews about this place was true, it does have room for improvement. Here are those areas:
1. Both mattresses in our room were completely worn out. The one closest to the bathroom sagged horribly in the middle while the one closest to the door angled down to the left (nightstand) side. This lead to everyone in the room getting a poor night's sleep each night.
2. Every time the occupants of the smoking room next door to our non-smoking room lit up a cigarette, we could smell it in our room. It was so strong, it would wake us from a deep sleep.
3. The walls between rooms are quite thin and we could hear the same smoking couple having sex. It wasn't particularly loud sex, just a low, rhythmic grunting. This also woke us from a deep sleep. Luckily, my children thought they were snoring.
4. There's no pen or pad of paper in the room to fill out the feedback card, so I didn't.
5. The feedback card is not postage paid, so I didn't bother to fill it out later and mail it to them once I did find a pen.
6. When told of the room problems, I was told to fill out the above card. I would have thought the desk help could have written down the issues for me instead.
7. The room door could only be completely closed or opened by me, a fully grown man. It required bashing it shut with my hip and yanking it open with both hands and all my weight. This could be a safety issue in a fire. The door or frame need to be planed down to overcome the interference fit between them.
8. The shower curtain had mildew on it on the back, bottom edge against the tub. My children thought it was gross, though it didn't bug me.
On the plus side, because it is so close to the river, this part of the neighborhood isn't scary (no foot traffic, no retail traffic). However, drive just a little ways down US-1 in the direction away from downtown Alexandria to the other nearby hotels and restaurants, and the neighborhood does get a little scary/rundown. Okay in the daytime, but I wouldn't risk it at night.
Overall, it is an affordable place by DC standards to jump off from for trips into DC. It's close to the Huntington Metro stop ( though I'd consider it too far to walk at 0.9 miles by my odometer), US-1, I-495, and I-295. The staff are all friendly and helpful and the rooms are clean.
You have no recent hotel searches.