“Not bad...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Louisville, KY
“Not bad...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed at this establishment, recently, while visiting family in Alexandria. My wife nearly fainted as we pulled into the parking lot. I believe that her exact words were..."Are you sure this isn't a by-the-hour motel?" At first glance, this motel leaves a lot to be desired, literally. It's a courtyard motel and gives the appearance of being run-down. Check-in was easy and the young man who waited on me was very pleasant. They still have the old-fashioned key on a huge key ring so that added to our trepidation. However, when we opened the door we were pleasantly surprised. Our room had been renovated, and was very clean and quite nice. It had a Keurig coffee pot in the room, as well as a fridge. Bathroom was clean and there was plenty of hot water. The air conditioner worked well; the bed was comfortable and we were pretty satisfied with the digs. Complaints... we had a large TV, though not a flat screen, and it was incredibly difficult to watch because the contrast/color settings were way off. I tried to adjust them with no success. We didn't complain to management, basically because we were in town for a whirlwind visit with family and really only used the room to sack out. The only other issue we had was noise. IT IS NOISY! I guess that I should be more specific. The motel itself wasn't noisy, it was the traffic. The motel is located on Washington Street, one of the main thoroughfares in Alexandria, and it is a busy street. Lots of sirens, lots of pedestrians... busy, busy, busy. We are from a reasonably small town so the presence of so many people, at all hours of the day and night, was uncomfortable, at first, but we quickly realized that this was just normal life in Alexandria. So, in conclusion, the Towne Motel is a cheap, yet pleasant to rest one's head. We would definitely stay again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Smithfield, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

My husband and I were traveling to DC and wanted to find a hotel that wouldn't break the bank since we'd basically only be using it to sleep. We looked over the reviews and decided that the Towne Motel was the cheapest with acceptable reviews. We mainly chose it because of its location to the metro, standard refrigerator in the room, reputation of cleanliness, and price. However, we quickly realized that we had made the wrong decision.

The location to the metro was nice. It was only about a 10 minute walk. However, I wouldn't want to walk through that neighborhood by myself at night. Plus, when you've been walking around DC all day, those shuttles from other hotels passing you by look pretty nice.

When we opened the fridge to put in our drinks/snacks, we found that it was barely cooler than the room. My husband had to pull it completely out of the nook and turn the temperature down so that we could even use it.

As for the rooms being newly renovated and clean, yes, you could tell that the inside of the rooms were much nicer than the outside, but they weren't anything special. As for the outside, it's kinda scary--like the perfect location for a horror movie. When we saw a sign that said "no refunds after 10 minutes of checking in," we basically ran to the room to make sure we wanted to stay. No, there wasn't a weird smell when we walked in, but when I pulled the comforter back there was a bug. It was NOT a bedbug, but still, it was a bug. That's not what you want to see. The A/C worked okay and there was nice water pressure in the shower, but there was no shampoo/conditioner, and the towels were the thinnest and roughest I've ever seen. Oh, and the key they give you to the room looks like those gas station bathroom keys with a huge/obnoxious attachment on it.

Also, to comment on the friendliness of the staff that others have mentioned, a young college frat guy checked us in. There was no customer service, and he came off as being very rude--not the helpful personality you expect at any hotel. He told us nothing about the place or area--we had to call back down to the front desk just to get the wifi password. That should have been standard info for people checking in.

Overall, the experience wasn't unbearable. After all, we did stay, but we will not stay here again. While the price was one of the best in the area during our stay, this place is definitely NOT worth $110. Next time, we'll pay the few extra dollars for a hotel in which we feel more safe, comfortable, and welcomed--where we actually feel like we're getting what we pay for.

Room Tip: lots of road noise no matter where your room is
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Watertown, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

This is a good place to stay, based on what it is, i.e. a 2-story courtyard motel and one of the less expensive places in the Washington area. The room was clean and in good condition; the bathroom seems to have been recently renovated. Don't expect luxury touches that you might find in an expensive hotel. There was no radio in the room, but those aren't usually very good in hotels. However, there was free wifi, also a refrigerator and microwave. It's about a 10-minute walk to King St., where most of the restaurants, etc., in Alexandria are. The Braddock Rd. metro station is a little closer.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
brainerd
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

This is an old (about 1950) motel with no frills, but clean rooms with about the lowest rates you will find in Old Town Alexandria. If you are looking for a convenient location for a good price, this will meet your needs.The do provide wifi and soap, but not much else. We stayed two seperate nights, one upon arriving, and one upon leaving the area. For that purpose it served us well and would stay here again for the same purpose. For longer stays you can drive a little further down US 1 (Richmond Highway) for much nicer accomodations at about the same price. Just be cautious of the heavy traffic getting back to the airport in the morning, which I would not attempt.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

We stayed here for the Cherry Blossom Festival. Booked online and read reviews. Price per night, including tax was $116 which was considerably lower than everything else. They are working on remodeling the rooms. Had a very nice bath/shower combination that you could tell was recently renovated. Room had small fridge, microwave and K-cup coffee maker. Very convenient to Dash bus stops and metro. The first night was very loud with sirens and traffic. The next night we could hear the couple in the room beside us. When doing the remodeling, they definitely need to put up soundproofing. Traffic noise gets louder from 6:00 a.m., on.

For what we paid, it was a god value. If you can ignore the noise or take some kind of sleeping aid at night, it's a good place to stay. Not sure it would be good for families with children. Too many noises to wake them up during the night because you can hear absolutely EVERYTHING.

The staff was very friendly. They let us park our car at the motel before checking in and walk downtown.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Normal, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I recently stayed at the Towne Motel in Alexandria, VA. I needed a place to stay close to the Metro but was looking for a good value and did not want to pay a lot since I was not going to be in my room except just to sleep. The Towne Motel had okay ratings and seemed to fit my needs so I booked it. I called the desk before booking it and was impressed with the clerk, who I later met. He was friendly, competent and accommodating. I needed to ship a package to meet me there, and he held the package over the weekend and delivered it to me upon arrival.

So, how to evaluate this place.... It was about 3/4 mile walk from the Braddock Rd Metro station, and not really an unpleasant walk. The property is an old "U" shaped 2-story motel with parking in the middle. The front desk is in a closet-sized area featuring a glass divider with requisite hole through which to speak to the clerk. Not a very welcoming or comfortable first impression. After receiving the key to my room (real key on a ring with the room number plate attached) I walked down the sidewalk (with peeling paint) to my room. I turned on the light switch and was immediately depressed by the garish blue ceiling light and bare-bones room. I felt as though I had made a serious mistake. A dorm-type refrigerator sat against the wall. But it was late at night and I figured when I closed my eyes it would all go away. After all, I had packed Tylenol PM.

But after turning on other lights and eliminating the eerie glow from the ceiling fixture, the room wasn't really all that bad. The walls had been painted in the not too distant past, everything was clean, the carpeting was not old or frayed, so I decided I had over-reacted. I unpacked and decided to iron as I hung clothes in the closet - only to find there was no iron. I called the desk and the clerk immediately delivered an iron to my room. I decided to adopt a better attitude, but then the ironing board cover was stained, the towels in the bathroom were the quality of summer camp linens, there was no shampoo or conditioner, and when I went to wash my hands the entire plumbing fixture on the sink came off in my hands. Sigh...

But I laughed it off, re-attached the fixture and went to bed. The bed was comfortable enough and the linies were crisp and clean, so I slept until housekeeping knocked on the door in the morning. There was no "do not disturb" sign available so how were they to know? I got up and went to breakfast - about a half mile walk, but it was a beautiful spring day so that was fine. Upon returning I noticed that the outside lighting by each door of the motel was created by stringing a series of extension cords together and using construction lights - you know, the ones that look like bulbs encased in yellow-wire cages. Whatever... I went to my meetings and returned later that night, slept fine and left early the next morning.

So, I have a hard time rating this. The downside is it is NOT really close to the Metro, there are hardly any amenities, and it is somewhat depressing to stay here. The positive attributes include a very good clerk/manager, cleanliness of the room, price, and an okay bed and television service.

Would I stay here again? Probably not, but I can't say it is a BAD place to stay. Just not my first choice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

I didn't pay much, but I was actually positively surprised for the price. The room was spacious, the bed was comfy, internet was working well, etc. It's not greatly located but very convenient (not far from the metro).

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Towne Motel Alexandria? Share your experiences!