My husband and I were traveling to DC and wanted to find a hotel that wouldn't break the bank since we'd basically only be using it to sleep. We looked over the reviews and decided that the Towne Motel was the cheapest with acceptable reviews. We mainly chose it because of its location to the metro, standard refrigerator in the room, reputation of cleanliness, and price. However, we quickly realized that we had made the wrong decision.
The location to the metro was nice. It was only about a 10 minute walk. However, I wouldn't want to walk through that neighborhood by myself at night. Plus, when you've been walking around DC all day, those shuttles from other hotels passing you by look pretty nice.
When we opened the fridge to put in our drinks/snacks, we found that it was barely cooler than the room. My husband had to pull it completely out of the nook and turn the temperature down so that we could even use it.
As for the rooms being newly renovated and clean, yes, you could tell that the inside of the rooms were much nicer than the outside, but they weren't anything special. As for the outside, it's kinda scary--like the perfect location for a horror movie. When we saw a sign that said "no refunds after 10 minutes of checking in," we basically ran to the room to make sure we wanted to stay. No, there wasn't a weird smell when we walked in, but when I pulled the comforter back there was a bug. It was NOT a bedbug, but still, it was a bug. That's not what you want to see. The A/C worked okay and there was nice water pressure in the shower, but there was no shampoo/conditioner, and the towels were the thinnest and roughest I've ever seen. Oh, and the key they give you to the room looks like those gas station bathroom keys with a huge/obnoxious attachment on it.
Also, to comment on the friendliness of the staff that others have mentioned, a young college frat guy checked us in. There was no customer service, and he came off as being very rude--not the helpful personality you expect at any hotel. He told us nothing about the place or area--we had to call back down to the front desk just to get the wifi password. That should have been standard info for people checking in.
Overall, the experience wasn't unbearable. After all, we did stay, but we will not stay here again. While the price was one of the best in the area during our stay, this place is definitely NOT worth $110. Next time, we'll pay the few extra dollars for a hotel in which we feel more safe, comfortable, and welcomed--where we actually feel like we're getting what we pay for.
- Also Known As:
- Towne Motel Alexandria Hotel Alexandria
- Towne Motel Alexandria Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Towne Motel is centrally located near some of Washington D.C.’s best sites such as The White House, Arlington National Cemetery, The Pentagon, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Convention Center, Georgetown University and Andrews Air Force Base. The Towne Motel offers guests FREE High-speed Wireless Internet access, In-Room Keurig K-Cup Coffee Makers, Refrigerator, Microwave, Hair dryer, Iron & board, Direct TV with Showtime and ESPN packages and Free Parking. All Non-Smoking rooms. Unfortunately, pets are not accepted at this location. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, T4B, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Agoda, Otel and Fareportal so you can book your Towne Motel Alexandria reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.