I recently stayed at the Towne Motel in Alexandria, VA. I needed a place to stay close to the Metro but was looking for a good value and did not want to pay a lot since I was not going to be in my room except just to sleep. The Towne Motel had okay ratings and seemed to fit my needs so I booked it. I called the desk before booking it and was impressed with the clerk, who I later met. He was friendly, competent and accommodating. I needed to ship a package to meet me there, and he held the package over the weekend and delivered it to me upon arrival.
So, how to evaluate this place.... It was about 3/4 mile walk from the Braddock Rd Metro station, and not really an unpleasant walk. The property is an old "U" shaped 2-story motel with parking in the middle. The front desk is in a closet-sized area featuring a glass divider with requisite hole through which to speak to the clerk. Not a very welcoming or comfortable first impression. After receiving the key to my room (real key on a ring with the room number plate attached) I walked down the sidewalk (with peeling paint) to my room. I turned on the light switch and was immediately depressed by the garish blue ceiling light and bare-bones room. I felt as though I had made a serious mistake. A dorm-type refrigerator sat against the wall. But it was late at night and I figured when I closed my eyes it would all go away. After all, I had packed Tylenol PM.
But after turning on other lights and eliminating the eerie glow from the ceiling fixture, the room wasn't really all that bad. The walls had been painted in the not too distant past, everything was clean, the carpeting was not old or frayed, so I decided I had over-reacted. I unpacked and decided to iron as I hung clothes in the closet - only to find there was no iron. I called the desk and the clerk immediately delivered an iron to my room. I decided to adopt a better attitude, but then the ironing board cover was stained, the towels in the bathroom were the quality of summer camp linens, there was no shampoo or conditioner, and when I went to wash my hands the entire plumbing fixture on the sink came off in my hands. Sigh...
But I laughed it off, re-attached the fixture and went to bed. The bed was comfortable enough and the linies were crisp and clean, so I slept until housekeeping knocked on the door in the morning. There was no "do not disturb" sign available so how were they to know? I got up and went to breakfast - about a half mile walk, but it was a beautiful spring day so that was fine. Upon returning I noticed that the outside lighting by each door of the motel was created by stringing a series of extension cords together and using construction lights - you know, the ones that look like bulbs encased in yellow-wire cages. Whatever... I went to my meetings and returned later that night, slept fine and left early the next morning.
So, I have a hard time rating this. The downside is it is NOT really close to the Metro, there are hardly any amenities, and it is somewhat depressing to stay here. The positive attributes include a very good clerk/manager, cleanliness of the room, price, and an okay bed and television service.
Would I stay here again? Probably not, but I can't say it is a BAD place to stay. Just not my first choice.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.