“Good room, VERY NOISY” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Tennessee
“Good room, VERY NOISY”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

We stayed here for the Cherry Blossom Festival. Booked online and read reviews. Price per night, including tax was $116 which was considerably lower than everything else. They are working on remodeling the rooms. Had a very nice bath/shower combination that you could tell was recently renovated. Room had small fridge, microwave and K-cup coffee maker. Very convenient to Dash bus stops and metro. The first night was very loud with sirens and traffic. The next night we could hear the couple in the room beside us. When doing the remodeling, they definitely need to put up soundproofing. Traffic noise gets louder from 6:00 a.m., on.

For what we paid, it was a god value. If you can ignore the noise or take some kind of sleeping aid at night, it's a good place to stay. Not sure it would be good for families with children. Too many noises to wake them up during the night because you can hear absolutely EVERYTHING.

The staff was very friendly. They let us park our car at the motel before checking in and walk downtown.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Normal, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I recently stayed at the Towne Motel in Alexandria, VA. I needed a place to stay close to the Metro but was looking for a good value and did not want to pay a lot since I was not going to be in my room except just to sleep. The Towne Motel had okay ratings and seemed to fit my needs so I booked it. I called the desk before booking it and was impressed with the clerk, who I later met. He was friendly, competent and accommodating. I needed to ship a package to meet me there, and he held the package over the weekend and delivered it to me upon arrival.

So, how to evaluate this place.... It was about 3/4 mile walk from the Braddock Rd Metro station, and not really an unpleasant walk. The property is an old "U" shaped 2-story motel with parking in the middle. The front desk is in a closet-sized area featuring a glass divider with requisite hole through which to speak to the clerk. Not a very welcoming or comfortable first impression. After receiving the key to my room (real key on a ring with the room number plate attached) I walked down the sidewalk (with peeling paint) to my room. I turned on the light switch and was immediately depressed by the garish blue ceiling light and bare-bones room. I felt as though I had made a serious mistake. A dorm-type refrigerator sat against the wall. But it was late at night and I figured when I closed my eyes it would all go away. After all, I had packed Tylenol PM.

But after turning on other lights and eliminating the eerie glow from the ceiling fixture, the room wasn't really all that bad. The walls had been painted in the not too distant past, everything was clean, the carpeting was not old or frayed, so I decided I had over-reacted. I unpacked and decided to iron as I hung clothes in the closet - only to find there was no iron. I called the desk and the clerk immediately delivered an iron to my room. I decided to adopt a better attitude, but then the ironing board cover was stained, the towels in the bathroom were the quality of summer camp linens, there was no shampoo or conditioner, and when I went to wash my hands the entire plumbing fixture on the sink came off in my hands. Sigh...

But I laughed it off, re-attached the fixture and went to bed. The bed was comfortable enough and the linies were crisp and clean, so I slept until housekeeping knocked on the door in the morning. There was no "do not disturb" sign available so how were they to know? I got up and went to breakfast - about a half mile walk, but it was a beautiful spring day so that was fine. Upon returning I noticed that the outside lighting by each door of the motel was created by stringing a series of extension cords together and using construction lights - you know, the ones that look like bulbs encased in yellow-wire cages. Whatever... I went to my meetings and returned later that night, slept fine and left early the next morning.

So, I have a hard time rating this. The downside is it is NOT really close to the Metro, there are hardly any amenities, and it is somewhat depressing to stay here. The positive attributes include a very good clerk/manager, cleanliness of the room, price, and an okay bed and television service.

Would I stay here again? Probably not, but I can't say it is a BAD place to stay. Just not my first choice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

I didn't pay much, but I was actually positively surprised for the price. The room was spacious, the bed was comfy, internet was working well, etc. It's not greatly located but very convenient (not far from the metro).

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

This is a cross between Motel 6 and Holiday Inn. Free WiFi and a great staff. Frig and microwave in rooms, but the style is a motel on a somewhat noisy main street. Generally clean and a 7 m walk to the Metro. Nice area of Alexandria to walk around.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Stayed here September 25, 2011 for two nights. The previous reviews were accurate about the outside which really looked like a dump and I never would have stayed there if the reviews hadn't been pretty good. The room was renovated and small but very nice and more than adequate for one person. It was very clean and comparable to a Holiday Inn. The only issues I had with the room was that the volume on the tv could not be turned up and could not be heard over the ac unit. The thermostat on the ac unit was poor and the unit wouldn't come on unless it got pretty warm and then it would get cold. The sink's stopper was stuck on the bottom and there was no way to release the water. When leaving the last day I opened the blinds and one of the window panes was out and there was plastic over where the window would be. I looked around and this was the only pane out in the whole motel. This did concern me from a security situation as well. The motel was close to the subway which was convenient and also the historic part of Alexandria. Also, Royal Cafe was less than two blocks away and I ate there for two meals and it was very good. The room rate was $99 which is high for what you got but that may be in line with the area. If staying in the area again, I wouldn't rule out Towne Motel but would also check out some other possibilities as well.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Albany, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

The Towne Motel is nothing fancy, but clean and adiquate. It is an old style motel, but the bathroom appeared to have been reciently redone and the room was freshly painted and the carpet fine, so no complaints. A fridge and microwave were in the room, though I did not use either. I found a hair dryer that should have been mounted on the bathroom wall in a drawer under the television, and although it was a bit wierd to have this style drier sitting beside the sink, it worked fine. The one thing I missed was a radio. Overall I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a nice place that is not very expensive.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Willington, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

This place is a great alternative for mid-week travelers looking to economize. It hit my radar when I searched for a room for four people with two queen beds - very hard to find! It's a "no frills" motel, but the rooms are clean and the beds comfortable. The motel is on the outskirts of old town but certainly within walking distance to shops and the metro. There are a few restaurants close by for those not wanting to walk to old town. TJ Stone's Restaurant is just across the street and a great find! The food food, atmosphere and service were excellent! Thanks Raj and staff! Would definitely stay at Towne Motel again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Towne Motel Alexandria? Share your experiences!