“Excellent Value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Merrick, New York
“Excellent Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

The Hotel was just as good as someone told me it was going to be. I had Room 810 with a corner view top floor and it was great. I was able to see the Washington Monument from my bed. The overall experience was good. The Beds were very comfortable and that was a pleasent surprise. The only things I would change were that the breakfast was not as good as I expected and ended too early. M-F 7am to 9am and Sat and Sun ends 9:30. With kids not getting out early enough to eat was a problem but with a wonderful Whole Foods supermarket just 2 short blocks away it was easy to stock up the fridge with bagles and all sorts of snacks. It is a easy walk to the train and a very safe place to stay. Parking was easy and more reasonable than some other hotels in the area. Free wifi was great and it was quiet. The pool was small but the kids still enjoyed it. Overall it was a nice stay and if I had to do it over I made the right choice. I had a 2 bedroom suite with 2 full baths and a livingroom. Perfect for kids all the room you could need.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Korean first
Aberdeen, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

I was highly impressed by the service at the Residence Inn (Mariott) in Old Town Alexandria, VA. The food was great and the service was excellent. Very professional and attentive staff.

We arrived at our hotel several hours early, a staff person was able to check us in early. The staff then went a step further by offering my father and I the complimentary breakfast even though we were not due to check in later on that day. They offered advice on the local sites and directions and even sent us a shirt we left in our hotel room upon departure.

I think it is a rarity to find the quality customer service that my father and I encountered at the Residence Inn. That is why I give the staff a 5 out of 5.

Wesley Cormier
Aberdeen, WA 98520

• Stayed August 2010
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

I have been staying at this hotel since the first week of May 2010 and will most likely be here through the end of the year. I've stayed her for extended periods in the past and I would not want to stay anywhere else. The staff is so amazingly accommodating you feel there's almost nothing you can't ask of them.
The rooms are spacious, the location is perfect, the staff is very helpful and respectful, The breakfast buffet should leave no one wanting.
There is a free hotel shuttle that will take you anywhere within a 5 mile radius of the hotel so if you go out for a walk through old towne and a storm breaks out you can call the hotel and they will come pick you up. Just make sure you take care of the drivers. They've had to come get me a couple of times.
This hotel is very safe and the staff responds immediately to any concerns you bring.
the maintenance staff is equally responsive should you have difficulties w/ the A/C, TV, Wi-Fi, or any of the appliances. They also have grocery shopping services if your schedule does not allow for you to get to the store yourself.
I will be sad to leave.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
SW VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

Nice hotel in a very good location. Room was a studio suite--contemporary decor, very clean, nice big flat screen TV. Bed was comfortable, room was quiet. Free dinner Monday-Thursdays, free Washington Post, even on Sunday. Nice pool, long enough to swim short laps, and a lifeguard on duty made sure kids didn't come to the pool without their parents (thanks!). 4 blocks to the metro, 2 blocks to a Whole Foods with great hot and cold food bar carryout, 1 block to a Crate & Barrel outlet store. Quick ride to downtown DC, quick access to the beltway. Staff was friendly and courteous. An excellent home base for sightseeing.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

We just returned from Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town. Overall I am pleased with our stay of 5 nights. We had 2 rooms and one of the rooms had a problem with the A/C for the first 3 nights. I complained about it numerous times before it got fixed. However, the manager compensated for our troubles in a way that we were satisfied with and therefore I would return to this hotel.
The hotel is clean and in a good location. Only 2 city blocks from the train station. They have a shuttle to the train station but it is almost faster to walk there. Whole foods is only a short walk away and on many nights we got dinner there after a long day of sightseeing in D.C. Very convenient. Hotel breakfast is good but long lines on the weekends. The free internet (wired and wireless) was nice.
We love D.C. ... so much to see and do there. Never got to Old Town Alexandria which I hear is wonderful. But we'll be back and will stay at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

Just returned from our trip to Alexandria Old Town and this hotel was our base between all other travels. It’s a great hotel with everything one would be looking for. The front desk staff was very friendly, they even spoiled our two small dogs.
The room has all the amenities that one would be looking for, full kitchen, fridge, dishwasher. Free breakfast every morning and light dinner during Monday to Thursday and all guests will get 2 servings of beer or wine with dinner, haven’t seen that in other places. There shouldn’t be any complaint, otherwise one can go out to eat at the nearby restaurants. There’s also a Food Market close by. They also offered free internet that we can check our emails on our laptop everyday. The waterfront is only a mile away and we enjoyed our walk and stopped by a pub to have a nice beer in the afternoon.

Because of the set up of the hotel we were assigned to the third floor with our dogs...they are small dogs so stairs for them to go and many times we have to carry them. The hotel even have an area for the dogs, quite thoughtful.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

We are currently staying at this Marriott Residence Inn. There are great things about this hotel:
Free wifi, laundry facilities, nice beds, good housekeeping, breakfast buffet and evening cocktail hour.
The rooms are furnished nicely, although the cushion on our sofa needs replacing (Room 825). The kitchen is well-equipped. The flat panel televisions (we had a one bedroom suite with 2 televisions) are large and nice, although the remotes don't always work that well.
The bathroom is nice and the towels and linens are clean and plush. Blankets and duvets however are very thin and should be replaced with thicker, nicer ones. The bed is also a queen, so if you prefer a king (we do) then you should look elsewhere. Regardless, the bed was clean and comfortable.
Air conditioning is effective and efficient, but sometimes loud in the living room.
The fitness facility is nice...good machines in good order and it was never crowded. The pool is very small for this size property and there is no jacuzzi, steam room or sauna.
The laundry facility (I did laundry twice) was clean and all but 2 dryers were working during my visit.
Alexandria is a nice place and the metro is just 2 blocks down the street. Great for geting around DC. Whole foods is a block west of the hotel and it is awesome to have good food in your kitchen. We ate in twice during our week-long stay. King Street has great restaurants (we liked Hard Times and India Silk).
The breakfast buffet is good with a good selection, but the food quality isn't always great. The sausage is usually over or under cooked. The eggs, waffles, english muffins with egg and sausage, and coffee is good and pretty consistent. The yogurt with granola had too much granola. The pancakes were often rubbery. After day 1, I only had the do-it-yourself waffles.
The cocktail reception is nice and if you get to the hotel at that time of the afternoon, then it's nice. There is beer and wine (2 glasses per guest) and light food like salad and rice with chicken or other light fare. This is a nice touch by the management that I think all Marriott Hotels should adopt.
Ok for the negative:
If you have more than one guest in your room, put all guests on the room record at the front desk. If you lose your key, they will not give another key to anyone not on the room record. On two occasions, I had to get another key and was treated differently each time. The second time, it was a bad situation (my wife and I have different last names) and I was treated very rudely. My wife had to come to the hotel front desk from her conference, to verify my identity. Luckily, I didn't have to wait long. Inconsistent policy enforcement. I did write the hotel manager about my incident. Better front desk training and a little humanism by our rude desk agent could have made the situation much better.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel, but because of our room key incident, might choose to stay at the Hilton down the street.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street? Share your experiences!