“Nice hotel, good location, poorly trained front desk staff.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 15% off
Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Cairo, Egypt
“Nice hotel, good location, poorly trained front desk staff.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

We are currently staying at this Marriott Residence Inn. There are great things about this hotel:
Free wifi, laundry facilities, nice beds, good housekeeping, breakfast buffet and evening cocktail hour.
The rooms are furnished nicely, although the cushion on our sofa needs replacing (Room 825). The kitchen is well-equipped. The flat panel televisions (we had a one bedroom suite with 2 televisions) are large and nice, although the remotes don't always work that well.
The bathroom is nice and the towels and linens are clean and plush. Blankets and duvets however are very thin and should be replaced with thicker, nicer ones. The bed is also a queen, so if you prefer a king (we do) then you should look elsewhere. Regardless, the bed was clean and comfortable.
Air conditioning is effective and efficient, but sometimes loud in the living room.
The fitness facility is nice...good machines in good order and it was never crowded. The pool is very small for this size property and there is no jacuzzi, steam room or sauna.
The laundry facility (I did laundry twice) was clean and all but 2 dryers were working during my visit.
Alexandria is a nice place and the metro is just 2 blocks down the street. Great for geting around DC. Whole foods is a block west of the hotel and it is awesome to have good food in your kitchen. We ate in twice during our week-long stay. King Street has great restaurants (we liked Hard Times and India Silk).
The breakfast buffet is good with a good selection, but the food quality isn't always great. The sausage is usually over or under cooked. The eggs, waffles, english muffins with egg and sausage, and coffee is good and pretty consistent. The yogurt with granola had too much granola. The pancakes were often rubbery. After day 1, I only had the do-it-yourself waffles.
The cocktail reception is nice and if you get to the hotel at that time of the afternoon, then it's nice. There is beer and wine (2 glasses per guest) and light food like salad and rice with chicken or other light fare. This is a nice touch by the management that I think all Marriott Hotels should adopt.
Ok for the negative:
If you have more than one guest in your room, put all guests on the room record at the front desk. If you lose your key, they will not give another key to anyone not on the room record. On two occasions, I had to get another key and was treated differently each time. The second time, it was a bad situation (my wife and I have different last names) and I was treated very rudely. My wife had to come to the hotel front desk from her conference, to verify my identity. Luckily, I didn't have to wait long. Inconsistent policy enforcement. I did write the hotel manager about my incident. Better front desk training and a little humanism by our rude desk agent could have made the situation much better.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel, but because of our room key incident, might choose to stay at the Hilton down the street.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
Mount Olive, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

We were in town for my father running the Marine Corps Marathon. We love this location due to the proximity to the Metro, as well as it being a short walking distance from Old Town Alexandria. Also, rooms here a a much better value than staying in the middle of DC. We booked a one bedroom suite, but were upgraded to a two bedroom when we checked in. The room was spotlessly clean and very tastefully decorated in a modern style. Lots of room to stretch out, with great window views. The friendly staff welcomed the small dog we had with us. Overall, a very pleasant experience, and would always stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

I am a big fan of the Residence Inn Old Town Alexandria’s sister property the Residence Inn at Carlye. Both are located within walking distance of Alexandria’s King Street metro, but The Carlyle property (181 rooms) is a bit more intimate. It’s perfect for a romantic getaway, but further away from the action of Old Town. In contrast, The Old Towne Residence Inn (240 rooms) at first feels like a dorm on a Big 10 campus (especially during breakfast) but it has the trifecta advantage of being close to Interstates 495/95 and 295, close to King Street Metro, AND is sits right on the City of Alexandria’s DASH AT8 bus line, so even if you didn’t want to walk to Old Town Alexandria (which you can) you could easily pay the $1.35 fare and ride into Old Town.

This combination of being close to interstates, metro, and bus lines is rare in the Washington region which makes the Resdidence Inn Old Town a great option for families or other travelers to the DC region that want transportation options! Leave the car in the garage. Parking is $15/day - a bargain by DC standards. Hop on the DASH AT8 – Old Town bus (east-bound) and enjoy the shops and eateries of Old Town, or head the other way on the AT8 – Landmark, Van Dorn Metro bus (west-bound) and stop by and see the George Washington Masonic Temple at the King Street Metro stop.

Tired of Old Town? Walk 3 block from the hotel to the King Street Metro station and head into DC on either the Yellow line (Fort Totten or Mount Vernon train) or the Blue Line (Largo or Greenbelt train) Need to pick up friends from the aiport? DCA (Washington National) is only 7 minutes and 2 train stops away.

Done with DC? Pack up the car, check out and you’re back on the Interstate in under 5 minutes. What could be better?

Other than great transportation options, the Old Town Residence Inn offers the other great Residence Inn standards. Fully equipped kitchen with dishwasher. Clean rooms. Hot showers. And filling, if not busy, morning breakfast. Desk staff was great and friendly. Forgot your toothbrush or deodorant or shaving kit? Not a problem. They have it at the front desk.

If you’re looking for intimacy choose the Residence Inn at Carlyle, but if you’re looking for great transportation options for your stay in DC its really hard to beat the Residence Inn Old Town Alexandria property.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Decatur, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

If I had more than 2 thumbs, I'd put them all up for this hotel. It's located just a few blocks from the King St. Metro station, had secure parking ($15 per night), had a very helpful staff, and the room was outstanding. We got there at 8:00 am and asked if we could just park our car for the day before we came back later to check in. Instead, they let us check in early, and upgraded to a better suite since I was a Marriott Rewards member. Full kitchen with stove. full size fridge, dishwasher. Also a very nice pool and fitness center. And the free breakfast was fantastic! REAL dishes with eggs, waffles, biscuits and gravy, and more. I can't say enough good things about this place - I'll definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

I am currently staying at this hotel as I type this review. I've been here a week and will be here for another week.
I can't say enough good things about this hotel! Excellent service, nice, clean rooms. Buffet breakfast is great. The evening reception, while the food is so-so, is just a nice extra. You get 2 servings of beer/wine with the "dinner". All free! The service is so thoughtful that they even give you to-go boxes at the buffet. So really, I just appreciate them. If anyone complains, they should just eat out! After all, there are numerous restaurants within walking distance. There's also a wonderful Whole Foods market a block away.
As for the rooms, I love my bed. It's firm, and I don't wake up in the morning with a sore back. And oh yes, free newspapers everyday. Free hi-speed internet. I've stayed at countless Marriotts, Hiltons, Hyatts and they don't give these freebies ordinarily. You do get free newspapers when you're a member of their rewards programs but free internet/breakfast/wine? Only if you get upgraded. But at this hotel, all the freebies are standard.
I think this hotel is truly a gem. So worth it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

The hotel was a perfect mix of outside D.C but close to the Metro system. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The two bedroom unit was large enough so two teenagers did not get on my nerves. The free breakfast was great. We loved the make your own waffles. The free trolley down King street was an added benefit for dinning and shopping. The hotel is only two stops from Ronald Regan Airport. We did not rent a car or need a car the whole vacation.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

When I realized my work for a fed. agency was going to run long, I wanted to move to a better long-term hotel. I ended up here because of conveinance to restaurants and metro. I kept coming back to this hotel because of the great staff! John? (Asian,early 30's at front desk) and the crazy blonde guy in charge of the food were absolutely awesome! They actually managed to make me feel like I was home when I was there.
Excellent service guys, and I hope to get back there soon!

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street? Share your experiences!