“They shop for you” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Albany, NY
“They shop for you”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

We had just joined marriott rewards abd booked this hotel based on trip advisor comments and the courtesy of the Marriott booking staff. It is a clean hotel in a great location and with a fantastic staff. We have stayed in Old Alexandria before and use it for our visits to DC. The metro is right there as is the Old Town trolley which travels the King Street historic area whch is full of shopping and restaurants. The room has a full frig, stove, sink, dishwasher and microwave as well as a dining area in the room and dishes to use. If you prefer there is a breakfast served every morning. They will even shop for you if you want to eat in your room

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

484 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Korean first
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

My fiance and I stayed here after spending an evening dining at Chart House in Old Town for Valentines Day. Despite a loud heating/AC system in the room that woke my fiance up multiple times during the night every time it kicked out, our stay was fine. It wasn't until the next morning around noon after we'd left the hotel that I started experiencing itching on my arms. Later that day I took off my shirt to see what was going on, and there were about 20 bites on my left arm, about 8-10 on my right, and at least 2 on my neck..a couple here and there on my left leg.

Many years ago in my college dorm there was a bed bug issue, and these bites are IDENTICAL in looks and discomfort to those I had back then. I called the hotel to express my anger with this, and asked them to check the room. When I finally was able to talk to someone about it 2 days later, the Director of Loss Prevention, he was extremely defensive and stand-off-ish. "We checked the room and there are no bed bugs." Please explain how then I have over 30 bites from sleeping in your hotels bed. The worst part is I had gone home and set the bag that had the clothes I slept in in the htoel on my bed, and had even laid down in my bed before putting 2 and 2 together. Now I have to gut my bedroom and spend many hours cleaning, and money getting the supplies.

I am a Silver Rewards Member and was using my annual free night stay for this stay. They didn't even offer to comp anything, the stay, the $15/night parking, nothing. I have stayed at well over 50 Marriott's in the last 2 years and never experienced such rudeness in customer service, or been bitten.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS FILTHY MARRIOTT AND THEIR BED BUGS. I stayed in room 817.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
RIOldTownManager, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, February 17, 2010
Dear Reviewer12484,

Thank you for voicing your concerns. I understand that the manager's spoke to your and/or your fiance this weekend. The hotel has completed a thorough investigation to this claim. Our investigation was immediately conducted by a 3rd Party. We can conclude that the room you mentioned had absolutely no trace of pests. We would be happy to discuss with you further. Please feel free to call our hotel at 703-548-5474.

Hotel Management
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

My wife & I and 2 kids (aged 7&8) stayed here over Thanksgiving weekend and as the first time we went to DC. Alexandria was exactly what we like, a nice quietish town with a great high street and restaurants to enjoy at night-time after a long day exploring the city. Metro is only 5 mins walk away and is about 7 stops into DC center.
Hotel was nice & comfortable, typical of this brand. Pretty clean, the breakfast buffet was a bit of a battle on one of the mornings, but given the rate you pay incl. breakfast , I wouldn't complain about this too much. There's a small pool which kids enjoyed splashing in after a day's walking in DC.

Staff were very good, always helpful. They have a free shuttle to the top of Old Town, but if you don't mind walking and weather is OK, it's much nicer to stroll down along the main street.
Good, well-priced, clean hotel in a great location.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

Stayed at this hotel while sightseeing with relatives. Two blocks away from King St Metro..shuttle available to take you there and other places in Old Town. Helpful front desk personnel gave good directions. Excellent restaurant next door (La Porta) also provides room service. Whole Foods nearby.

Breakfast included with many choices, hot and cold.

Wished there had been a coffee shop in this hotel, but was happy with the room,location, and service. Good value for the money.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Crystal Lake, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

Best beds ever! After walking all over town it was nice to have such a comfortable bed to relax on. The rooms were spacious too. The staff was very friendly. Nice location also.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Troy, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

We were head to the DC area for 2 nights. We knew we wanted to stay in Alexandria, so I used the TA site to look at hotel options and decided on this Residence Inn. Our 2 and 5 year old kids were going to be with us, so I booked a one BR suite for $110 per night. That seemed like a really good price, especially for the pricey area. When we arrived I realized how good of a price it was. The suite was extra spacious, with a full kitchen, eating area, desk area and sitting area. Separated by a door was the bedroom and bathroom. The setup was absolutely perfect for us and the kids. The kids slept together on the pullout sofa. We were able to put them to bed, close the door, and have our room to ourselves. The rooms were very nicely decorated. The only thing that showed a little age was the bathroom vanity cabinet. The finish had some wear but in comparison to the condition of the entire suite, it was minor. Our floor was quiet, peaceful. Breakfast was full of great choices for everyone. The location of the hotel provided easy access to the freeways but was still in a nice and quiet area of town. I agree with some of the other reviews that charging $15 for self parking in the hotel's garage is a bit ridiculous. Maybe the room rate was so great because they hit you separately for parking. Anyway, parking was readily available although the garage had some tight turns in it. We had minimal contact with the staff but what we did experience was friendly and efficient. All in all, a great stay. We would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
WNY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

We stayed here over Memorial Day weekend. The hotel is very clean and has updated furnishings. We arrived at 1am on Friday morning, and I was a little uneasy because they had the doors locked and you had to be buzzed in that late at night. I have to say I never felt affraid to walk around the area, and even asked at the front desk if it was safe to walk around the area. They said "Oh yes." The rapid transit station is only two blocks from the hotel, and it seemed like a safe area. It saves you the hassle of parking, and is convenient. The free breakfast was great, a good variety. My kids liked the free internet access. The only negative thing I could complain about is the $15.00 nightly parking fee. Otherwise it was a great, relaxing stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street? Share your experiences!