“Great location, staff & room so-so” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 15% off
Ranked #15 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Virginia
“Great location, staff & room so-so”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

The location and price (for a gov't traveler) were pretty good. The hotel is located a few blocks from the Metro, so you can get nearly anywhere in town easily. I was at a meeting in downtown DC in about 35 minutes from door to door during morning rush hour. The stop is near the end of the Yellow Line, so the cars aren't too full by this time.

The staff had good and bad. Our room had no Internet (which was very important). The night clerk said he would look for a new cable and call back... 30 minutes later, we called and he said he was "still looking" and would put in a repair order. Next day: nothing had been touched. We found the engineer (terrific guy) who said they never heard, but let's fix it now. Turned out to need new cables run in the ceiling, and he tried to do everything he could. The desk clerk this night offered to comp our room, and I asked for a coupon for a future stay instead; she said it would be waiting for us at checkout. They actually gave us a $50 off 2-consecutive night weekend stay (Hmmm, not quite the same thing).

Rooms were fine - no real problems. Beds could use some updating, but were good enough. Half of the staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful, half were worthless (pretty typical for D.C.). The breakfast was fine - nothing worth bragging about, but OK.

I'll check "recommend", but if you have another choice, look into that as well. We have stayed at the Embassy Suites about a block away and prefer that hotel (but it's usually more full and expensive).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

We got a great rate and needed the 1 BR suite for a trip to some Northern VA events.
For all of the good- there was a bad:
so I will review the hotel aspects with a good/bad format
Room: G: Clean and comfortable
B: It was 125 yards (!!) from the elevator and the 3rd floor was strangely humid in the hallway- maybe pool proximity?
Pool: G: There was one
B: Small with bizarre hours (opens at 6 am on the weekdays and not until 10 on the weekends and closes for a period in the afternoon. Do you people know what time children get up??)
Location: G: pretty decent- 1 long block to the metro, 2 blocks to Whole Foods, nice park/ jogging trails behind the hotel
B: again- a LONG block to the Metro; Metro ride= 20 min minimum to the Mall Not in the heart of DC nor overly close to Old Town (20 min walk)
Breakfast: G: There was one with a large selection
B: Its a zoo!- go EARLY
Service: G: Very flexible- we needed to chek in early and out late due to our son and it wasn't an issue
B: Noticible lack of a doorman or ANYONE to help when loading a lot of stuff into and out of the hotel on a dolly.... not a requirement for this rate- but a nice touch
Parking: G: On site and easy
B: $15 cost

Overall a very pleasant stay though and know what you are getting.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

A little off the main drag, but still within a walk to most of what you will want to see in Old Town, Va. Had enough room in the suite that I invited family that lives in nearby VA to join me for a couple days while in town. They enjoyed the property and free breakfast for the couple days and really thought the hotel was great. This property is better appointed and fancier than the stanard residence inn, it is almost a Marriott Suites with a free breakfast. The room was very modern and large and in DC or around DC a large room is as rare as a honest... So I give this property a two thumbs up and would recomend that if you can stay there as it always seems booked, do. It is a nice option to DC downtown, as Old Town is more user friendly and you are only a short distance from the Metro or even a short boat trip from the Mall.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

My family stayed here for 2 nights last week on a trip to Nationals Stadium. I needed a Marriott as I had rewards points to use. The other party who went with me paid $249.00 a night which is pricey. We needed a place that was convenient to the city and the park and couldn't afford to be right in DC. Also needed a place where there would be evening activities as not everyone in the group went to the games. Alexandria turned out to be an excellent choice. It was about 40 minutes from DC with afternoon traffic so we were able to get to the hotel after our daytime activities in the city, drop off some of the folks and then get to the ball park in little over an hour. The hotel offers a free shuttle which takes people to restaurants and shops in Old Town. It even accommodated my Mother's wheelchair which was great. There is a metro station within walking distance which we did not use but would be very convenient. The hotel is on a busy street but has a safe feeling. I would have felt fine about walking in the area. I t is also convenient to the major highways. We discovered also that one can get to DC via a boat which leaves the Alexandria Harbor and goes to Georgetown. You do have to pay for parking at the hotel - $15.00 a night. Our rooms had king size bedroom and a pull out couch which was fine. Large bathroom and kitchenette. Breakfast is quite good with hot and cold choices. The breakfast room has several tvs and is very comfortable. The lobby has newspapers available and a little market where you can buy drinks and snacks. My brother used the pool and said it was a good one. Overall I was very pleased with this choice and would recommend it - especially if you have reward points.

Detroit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

I wanted to say thanks to all the posters that recommended this hotel. Based on the reviews, we decided to book our stay here. As mentioned previously, the hotel is based in an ideal location to the King Street Metro Stop. Most mornings we walked to the subway, but the shuttle is also available. The two bedroom suite was quite spacious and received two thumbs up from the kids. The beds were comfortable and there were three tv's (not that we were in the hotel much during the day). The only small criticism is that one of the room's fans was quite loud when the cycle began or ended. Also, the door creaked quite loudly which was a bit annoying when trying to let the kids sleep in longer. However, overall a wonderful experience and the staff was quite helpful as well. For some reason our laptop wouldn't work in the room but we were able to use the internet connection available on the first floor.

Hillsboro, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

I stayed here for 7 nights in June 2009 with my husband and our teenage son. Our one-bedroom accommodations worked out well. My son slept on the pull-out sofa and it was fairly comfortable. The bathroom was only accessible by going through the bedroom. The tub/shower and toilet were in a separate room, and the sink/vanity just outside the bathroom, between there and the bedroom area.

It was nice to have the kitchen with a full-sized refrigerator and microwave. The maid ran the dishwasher every day, even if it only held one glass and a couple pieces of silverware! I put all our recycling (newspapers, pop cans, plastic) in a bag by the door and it was taken every day, and (I hope) recycled.

There were two TVs. The living room area had a stuffed chair and ottoman in addition to the sofa. There was a desk with wired internet access. We brought two laptop PCs, so I also brought a small wireless router, which I hooked up to the ethernet wire, so we could run both PCs.

Some things that would have been nice to have: one or two folding luggage racks (the only place to put suitcases was on the floor), and a fan in the bathroom (it got very hot and steamy).

The room was very quiet, and I never heard other guests nextdoor or upstairs. Sometimes I heard people walking by in the hall and talking.

Out our window I could see the cemetary behind the hotel, so one evening I walked over there to explore. It's old and historic, with some of the headstones falling over, but interesting to look around if you're fascinated by things like that.

We took advantage of the free breakfast every morning, but never made it back in time for the evening food. The breakfast foods included: scrambled eggs, sausage (only two times), Belgian waffles with syrup or strawberries, oatmeal, bagels, mini muffins, biscuits (with sausage gravy one day), fresh cut up fruit, whole pieces of fruit (bananas, apples, oranges), 3 kinds of unsweetened cold cereal, a couple kinds of yogurt, granola, apple & orange juice, coffee, hot water for tea or cocoa.

I used the guest laundry on the 2nd floor, and was impressed with it. $1.00 to wash and $1.00 to dry. There were 6 washers and 10 dryers, laundry sink, machine selling detergent, a couple small tables with chairs, and a TV. It was very clean. The washers and dryers only took quarters, so it would have been nice to have a change machine. I went to the front desk and got quarters for change.

During our stay we went to my cousin's house for dinner. We had bought a couple bottles of wine to take there, and accidentally left it on the bench outside the front of the hotel. When we got to his house, we realized we had left it, so I called the front desk. The guy at the desk put me on hold, went out front, and came back on the phone to tell me he had the bag with the wine, and would hold it for me at the front desk. I was impressed that no one had stolen it, and that he was willing to go find it for me!

The King Street Metro station was an easy 2 (long) block walk away. We took Metro into DC all but one day of our stay, and found it super convenient and easy to navigate. It was nice to be able to come back to the hotel after a day walking all over DC seeing the sights, freshen up and rest for a while, then walk up to King Street and take the free trolley to Old Town for dinner. There are lots of restaurants and shops in Old Town. While it would also have been nice to stay right in DC for the convenience of being close to everything, for the price I think the Residence Inn Old Town was a good alternative, and was only about a 30-minute Metro ride away from DC.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

My husband and I traveled with our 17 year old son for 7 nights to visit DC. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite which worked out great. We had our own space. The room had everything we needed. The location is great -- as others have said, it's only 2 blocks from the Metro but it's also nice to be able to stroll down King Street to see Old Town Alexandria. There is a Whole Foods only a block away that we used several times for dinner since after walking around all day in DC we were too tired to really go out for fancy dinners. But if you're interested there were many restaurants on King Street. Also on Monday -Thursday the hotel has a cocktail hour with some food (not huge selection however so we never ate there in the evening). The breakfast was very good for a hotel breakfast -- more than just continental with enough selection to make everyone happy (son had a homemade waffle every morning). I would defintely recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street? Share your experiences!