“Very nice hotel, reasonable price, close to Metro stop” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and save 20%!
Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
South Carolina
“Very nice hotel, reasonable price, close to Metro stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

This hotel was very clean and nice. The staff was very helpful. There is a shuttle service available to take you around Alexandria (through the hotel, not the trolley). Breakfast was very good (but crowded, so go early). Only a few blocks to the King Street Metro stop. DC metro is very clean and easy to navigate. Only one block to Whole Foods. Great rate. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Jersey Shore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

My teen age son and I stayed for three nights while visiting the greater DC area. This hotel is 2 blocks from the metro station which was very handy. Our room consisted of a queen and sofabed. Son is used to the sofabed treatment since he generally ends up there being the youngest.

Upon arrival, we were quickly checked in. I had a rate of $101 per night with a AAA discount which for this area, I thought was very good. The manager's reception was onging so I had a couple of drinks as we planned our touring for the next few days. The reception is weekdays only.

The breakfast is included and consisted of scrambled eggs, fruit, yogurt, hot and cold cereal and waffles. There were also breakfast potatoes, muffins, danish, bagels and the usual suspects. A step above many continental breakfast menus but not quite an Embassy Suite breakfast. Seating was tough, with table sharing and stalking common approaches to finding a seat. Take out containers were available if someone was inclined to not fight the crowd. Being Easter week, there were a number of families.

The building is laid out like a large capital letter E, with Duke St being the bottom of the E. Our room was the top of the E, which overlooks Alexandria National Cemetery. I requested a high floor and was given a room on the top floor.

Regarding the kitchen, one of the burners didn't work but since I only use the kitchen to make a pitcher of iced tea, it didn't affect me any. One thing I did notice that as a petite person (5 foot), I could not reach the cabinet with glassware. Thank goodness my son was there to help.

We used the hotel van to go to the Alexandria waterfront and King St one night. We got dropped off just short of the waterfront due to basically traffic gridlock. It was very crowded down there. Since the van stopped running at 8:30 pm, we took the free King St trolley back up towards our hotel, which dropped us off two blocks away. An easy walk from there. We also used the van to get to the Amtrak Station (basically on the back side of the metro station) even though it was only a couple of blocks. But with our luggage, it would have been a tough walk. The driver was very helpful and courteous, helped with our bags, etc.

Being in a city location, I understand space is at a premium but it would be nice if this hotel had outdoor seating for the cocktail hour and breakfast. It was a beautiful weekend and it would have been great to sit outside.

It was posted Marriotts are discontinuing room delivery of USAToday starting this week. Free papers were available in the lobby.

Overall, we were pleased with the service, location and price. I would definately stay again.

1 Thank Exit105
all over
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

Me, husband and 11yr old spent 4 days and had a great time. Just 1.5 blocks from the metro and well within walking distance of the fabulous resturaunts. The hotel did offer a shuttle (complimentary) to dinner if your feet were too worn out from walking around DC or you could take the free city shuttle that goes up and down King St. There was a great breakfast in the morning and a nice light snack with drinks of your choice in the evening- all on the house. There was a little grocery store about a block away if you're not up to going out and want to cook in your room, with the stove, oven and full size fridge. Highly recomendable and if up that way again, will stay again.

1 Thank earthtravlr
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

My family checked into this hotel on Friday the 10th of April. From the moment we checked in I knew this hotel was special. Yessica, the front desk attendant, was incredibly welcoming and accomodating. She made you feel like you were the first guest she had greeted all day (even though she had already been at work for 6 hours). The hotel room was very clean and every staff member we encountered that night said hello. A funny thing happened the next morning (I can laugh about it now). As I was going back up to our room from the parking garage, I dropped my car keys. I don't know how it happened...it was like a bad dream, but the keys slid down the elevator shaft. I was devastated, I had not brought a spare. I immediately went to the front desk, where Yessica was back at work, she assured me it would be ok. She called Dean the Front Desk Manager over and told him what had happened. He was so kind, he did not make me feel like an idiot (believe me I already felt like that) he assured me it was not a problem and he would get the keys back to me. To make a long story short - the elevator company was called in to retrieve the keys - I had them back within 90 minutes - mind you this was a holiday weekend. I was so greatful. Dean and Yessica could not have been nicer to me. This hotel had earned my undying loyalty. THANK YOU!!!!!! If you have the chance to stay here - please do - you will not be disappointed!!!!

1 Thank OhioMom044
Scranton, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

Very nice place. We stayed here for three reasons: (1) close to DC (2) pet friendly and (3) indoor pool. Oh yeah, also because the reviews were good. Overall very good value. Stayed here from 4/9-4/12 with wife, 3 kids and a dog. The 1 bedroom suite was a little small for 6 of us (including pooch), but it was only $90. The pet fee was quite steep at $150, but it would cost that much at a kennel for three nights. Location was very convenient. The negatives - very small pool and dishwasher ran but didn't clean dishes. Oh well.

La Jolla, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

This is a typical Mariott Residence Inn. Very well run. Relatively clean but not spotless. There was no mold, dirt, grime, dust. The room was large. There was a kitchenette including a 1/2 stove, refrigerator, microwave, full cookware.

The parking was $15 a day - ouch - but safe and plentiful. They didn't charge me for the last day. Also, we left our car there while walking around old-town.

It's close to the Metro for exploring DC. It's a bit of walking down King Street towards the water, but a free trolley will bring you home (or take you there, but we walked each day downtown).

I'm not sure why this is given 5 stars by many people. It's a good basic - upper middle end (or lower upper end hotel) -- not fancy sheets nor carpeting - no flat panel TVs - no super fancy drapery. Also, it can be a bit pricey - around $250 a night. The pool is small. The fitness area is acceptable. No restaurant on premises - an 'okay' place is next door. It's on a bit of a busy road - but close to King Street.

You won't be disappointed if you stay here -- but a '5 star' should "Wow!" me -- this is a "Very Nice".

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank sand_ca_traveler
Penfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

Found this to be a truly outstanding property with great facilities, (including the fitness center and pool) and a great staff. The hotel is well situated near the Metro and Old Town and is clean, modern, and well maintained. The daily breakfast offers something for everyone and from Monday to Thursday, the hotel hosts a reception which provides the equivalent of a dinner with drinks. The only negative is the $15 daily charge for parking, which given the area, I suppose is to be expected. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would return to this hotel in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple