“A little dated and tired, but good size rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
London, United Kingdom
“A little dated and tired, but good size rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This hotel needs a refurbishment as it doesn't look as though it has been updated and decorated for a while. However, we still enjoyed our stay. The room was huge, with a lounge area and kitchenette.

Location is good. Five mins walk to King Street Metro to go into DC (doesn't take too long). Alexandria itself is lovely. Found some great restaurants and shops on and around King Street. Free trolley bus is good too, an easy way to get down to the busier parts of the town.

Breakfast was nothing special, but was included, which was good.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Hello Elliequie,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with our hotel. We are glad that you found the suites to be spacious and appreciate the feedback concering the decor. We hope to see you again in the future.

Safe Travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying the staff here is great, but as a marketing professional I want to send a loud message to Marriott that this property needs room refurbishing. The chair I am sitting in has scarred arms that have been covered up with ill-fitting fake leather covers. The couch sags and feels dirty. Honestly, feels like I am in a trailer. The location is excellent which is why we booked and we are top level in the Elite program, so we usually get great rooms. The room layout is fine but the cheap and dirty furniture is terrible! I know Marriott is working to refresh their overall brand image .....start here and fast. BTW the new Hyatt Place facilities are amazing - I will not be booking with Marriott for this hotel concept (residences) until I am sure they are improved.

Again, super location and terrific staff. I am sure the staff would like to see a facelift here.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Hello Gail G,

Thank you for sharing your feedback concerning your recent visit to our hotel. I was happy to hear that you found our staff and location to be great assets. We also appreciate your input concerning conditions of the hotel and we will certainly take this into consideration for future property improvements. If I may be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly at jeremy.mccluskey@marriott.com.

Westmont, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

We are frequent Marriott users and had a single night here recently due to a mess up on a house rental in DC. We decided to stay in Alexandria for the night to see the Old Town (which is touristy but cute) and then we'd head into DC for the "magical history tour" with our kids. This large Residence Inn is quite tired. The fold out couch for our 12 year old was lumpy when it was folded and really bad opened. Sheets were too small to tuck in, towels were very tired, carpets needed deep cleaning and the facility was generally average at best. Service on the other hand was great. We wouldn't pick this place again unless they refurb'ed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Martin D,

We hope that your vacation and magical history tour of DC with your family was one you all enjoyed and will remember for years to come. Thank you for allowing us to have an opportunity to be a part of it. I was glad to hear that the service you experienced was great. We also appreciate the feedback you provided about the property as we are consistently looking for opportunities to improve and your comments are very helpful as approach future plans for the hotel. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback.

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was a little disappointed. In a one bedroom suite, the couch was broken so lounging was out. The easy chair was missing the foot stool kept under the table. In all I sat on the bed to watch TV between meetings.

Breakfast was fine but not up to the normal par for any Marriott or even this venue, which I have stayed at several times.

I'll continue using this hotel and look forward to its former high quality.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your feedback concerning your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate you coming back based on your comment that you had stayed previously. Being new to the hotel myself I welcome any feedback you may have in addition to your comments already shared. I can be reached at jeremy.mccluskey@marriott.com. Please let me know if I may ever be of assistance to you with a future stay as well.

Safe Travels
indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Originally I could only book 1 night of my 2 night trip at this hotel due to conventions, and it was a 2 BR suite. I arrived at 1 pm and asked if I could check in early. The desk clerk (whose name I didn't get) was very polite and after conferring with his manager, asked if I wanted a1 BR suite for half the price since I was traveling alone. Of course! I asked for a quiet room and was given a very spacious corner suite with alot of natural light. Later that afternoon I asked Tanitia if there were cancellations for the following night and she said no. To my surprise, she called my room a couple hours later and said I would be able to stay in the same room for an additional night. This was a huge positive as my business destination was only a block away. Several other employees I encountered during my visit gave big smiles and greetings...this was noticeably "different" as I stay in hotels about 6 times per year. So....staff gets an "awesome" rating!

Super quiet clean room is important to me. The bed and bath linens were perfectly clean including the extra blanket in the closet. As has been noted, the furniture is rather dated which I expected. I did have the red "pleather" chair with cracks as another traveler mentioned. If I were the manager, I would put this chair in the trash immediately; it is an eyesore and makes the place seem shabbier than it is. Also, I sat on the sofabed watching tv for a few hours and the smell of the sofa bothered me so I covered it with towels...not fresh or clean smelling at all. I suggest heavy duty cleaning or replacement. On the plus side, the spaciousness of the suite and the kitchen were great. Free dinner during the week was ok (salad and bbq sandwich plus 2 alcoholic drinks max) and great free hot breakfast with fresh fruit, pastries, eggs, potatos, waffles etc allowed me to save even more money for my company.
Location is fantastic, easy walking to Metro and sights of Alexandria. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hello indy25,

I was so glad to hear that Tanitia and the rest of our team were able to take great care of you. I look forward to sharing your comments with her and the rest of our team. Thank you also for sharing your thoughts about the room. If your travels ever bring you back to the Old Town Alexandria area again in the future we hope you will keep us in mind.

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Three of us checked in on Friday, March 28. No washcloths. Called down for 3 washcloths and 2 bath towels. They brought 2 wash cloths and 3 bath towels - not a big problem.
Saturday at breakfast, there were no forks and they kept running out of food.
Saturday evening we came back from sightseeing at 5 pm. Called down with a list of items needed. Nothing was brought up. As we were heading out for dinner at 7 pm, we took a written list to the front desk. We requested 3 washcloths, 3 towels and a bath mat. Also soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion - first trip ever without bringing those items.
Returned from dinner at 9:30 pm and the items were still not brought to the room. Went down to the front desk with another written list. At 10:30 pm, housekeeping brought up 2 washcloths and 3 bath mats. At 10:30 pm, we went back down to the front desk and waited for 3 bath towels and a washcloth.

Room Tip: Check out the room, go to front desk and wait for any linens you might need.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Hello Veronic110,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your stay in March of this year. I was disappointed to read the experience you had. Our team has high expectations for providing a quality experience and unfortunately based on your explanation we did not live up to your expectations or our own. I welcome an opportunity to discuss this with you further and can be reached at jeremy.mccluskey@marriott.com.

Safe Travels
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We ended up staying here last minute when the Residence Inn Old Town Carlyle was fully booked. It was a less-than thrilling stay. We requested a baby bed for my daughter, and it took over an hour to get one (even with a few calls to the front desk). One of the main guys at the front desk seemed to be having a bad week and was always frowning. When we went to go into the parking garage (which is a hefty fee of $22 a night), our cards were not set up and we had to drive around the block to have the front desk fix it.

The rooms were adequate, but not great. The bathroom door was really tight and you basically had to kick it open; it also made a really loud noise each time I did this, so I woke my daughter up a few times, even though she was in the other room with the door closed.

The breakfast was just the typical continental breakfast that you would find at a lot of middle of the road hotels. Not a whole lot of fresh stuff or variety, and the food is mostly either under or overcooked.

Overall assessment: not miserable, but definitely not great.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Hello HaveBabyWillTravel,

We appreciate you staying at our hotel and sharing your comments about your experience. We will take your insights into account as we look to continuously improve our operation. I hope we may have an opportunity to host you again in the future and provide you with the great experience you expect from a Residence Inn by Marriott. Please feel free to contact me directly at jeremy.mccluskey@marriott.com if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Safe Travels!

Been to Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street? Share your experiences!