“Many positives about staying here” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 15% off
Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
indianapolis
“Many positives about staying here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Originally I could only book 1 night of my 2 night trip at this hotel due to conventions, and it was a 2 BR suite. I arrived at 1 pm and asked if I could check in early. The desk clerk (whose name I didn't get) was very polite and after conferring with his manager, asked if I wanted a1 BR suite for half the price since I was traveling alone. Of course! I asked for a quiet room and was given a very spacious corner suite with alot of natural light. Later that afternoon I asked Tanitia if there were cancellations for the following night and she said no. To my surprise, she called my room a couple hours later and said I would be able to stay in the same room for an additional night. This was a huge positive as my business destination was only a block away. Several other employees I encountered during my visit gave big smiles and greetings...this was noticeably "different" as I stay in hotels about 6 times per year. So....staff gets an "awesome" rating!

Super quiet clean room is important to me. The bed and bath linens were perfectly clean including the extra blanket in the closet. As has been noted, the furniture is rather dated which I expected. I did have the red "pleather" chair with cracks as another traveler mentioned. If I were the manager, I would put this chair in the trash immediately; it is an eyesore and makes the place seem shabbier than it is. Also, I sat on the sofabed watching tv for a few hours and the smell of the sofa bothered me so I covered it with towels...not fresh or clean smelling at all. I suggest heavy duty cleaning or replacement. On the plus side, the spaciousness of the suite and the kitchen were great. Free dinner during the week was ok (salad and bbq sandwich plus 2 alcoholic drinks max) and great free hot breakfast with fresh fruit, pastries, eggs, potatos, waffles etc allowed me to save even more money for my company.
Location is fantastic, easy walking to Metro and sights of Alexandria. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hello indy25,

I was so glad to hear that Tanitia and the rest of our team were able to take great care of you. I look forward to sharing your comments with her and the rest of our team. Thank you also for sharing your thoughts about the room. If your travels ever bring you back to the Old Town Alexandria area again in the future we hope you will keep us in mind.

Safe Travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Three of us checked in on Friday, March 28. No washcloths. Called down for 3 washcloths and 2 bath towels. They brought 2 wash cloths and 3 bath towels - not a big problem.
Saturday at breakfast, there were no forks and they kept running out of food.
Saturday evening we came back from sightseeing at 5 pm. Called down with a list of items needed. Nothing was brought up. As we were heading out for dinner at 7 pm, we took a written list to the front desk. We requested 3 washcloths, 3 towels and a bath mat. Also soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion - first trip ever without bringing those items.
Returned from dinner at 9:30 pm and the items were still not brought to the room. Went down to the front desk with another written list. At 10:30 pm, housekeeping brought up 2 washcloths and 3 bath mats. At 10:30 pm, we went back down to the front desk and waited for 3 bath towels and a washcloth.

Room Tip: Check out the room, go to front desk and wait for any linens you might need.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Hello Veronic110,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your stay in March of this year. I was disappointed to read the experience you had. Our team has high expectations for providing a quality experience and unfortunately based on your explanation we did not live up to your expectations or our own. I welcome an opportunity to discuss this with you further and can be reached at jeremy.mccluskey@marriott.com.

Safe Travels
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We ended up staying here last minute when the Residence Inn Old Town Carlyle was fully booked. It was a less-than thrilling stay. We requested a baby bed for my daughter, and it took over an hour to get one (even with a few calls to the front desk). One of the main guys at the front desk seemed to be having a bad week and was always frowning. When we went to go into the parking garage (which is a hefty fee of $22 a night), our cards were not set up and we had to drive around the block to have the front desk fix it.

The rooms were adequate, but not great. The bathroom door was really tight and you basically had to kick it open; it also made a really loud noise each time I did this, so I woke my daughter up a few times, even though she was in the other room with the door closed.

The breakfast was just the typical continental breakfast that you would find at a lot of middle of the road hotels. Not a whole lot of fresh stuff or variety, and the food is mostly either under or overcooked.

Overall assessment: not miserable, but definitely not great.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Hello HaveBabyWillTravel,

We appreciate you staying at our hotel and sharing your comments about your experience. We will take your insights into account as we look to continuously improve our operation. I hope we may have an opportunity to host you again in the future and provide you with the great experience you expect from a Residence Inn by Marriott. Please feel free to contact me directly at jeremy.mccluskey@marriott.com if you would like to discuss your stay further.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I had to stay here for graduation. The first night we had bloody sheets on my little girl bed as I was getting it ready for her. They did change it. Our TV went out no one fixed it. My husband had to fix it. They only have 2 channels for kids and I will not come back here again. Please stay somewhere else if you're coming here.

• Stayed July 2014
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Hello Mrsjamescass,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I was disappointed to read some of the issues you had and welcome an opportunity to speak with you further about them. I can be reached via e-mail at jeremy.mccluskey@marriott.com.

Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights with my family. Great service, friendly staff, very attentive. Shuttle runs 1 mile around hotel, near Whole foods, 2 blocks, and 3 blocks from Metro. Not alot of restaurants nearby, but again, use shuttle or trolley on King Street, Hotel is somewhat dated, typical late 80's residence inn, but very clean and we were very pleased. We would stay there again.

Hello Andy H,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our property. We hope to have an opportunity to host you again in the future.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Overall everything was great, the accommodations, location, housekeeping and the two ladies at the front desk. The man working at the front desk on July 7, 2014 at 4am, however, was extremely rude and obnoxious.

The day before, Tanitia order a cab for us for July 7th at 4am. We received a call at 4:02am that the cab was there, fine. I was feeling ill, unfortunately. My daughter got down to the front desk at 4:07am. The man at the front desk said that the cab was waiting for 10 mins. After my daughter checked out, she looked at the elevator to see if I was coming, to which the front desk asked her with an attitude if she needed something else. Then he told her to go talk to the cab driver. I came down at 4:08am (I looked at the time after the front desk told me how the cab was waiting 10 mins already - rudely). My luggage was there and my daughter had been trying to get back into the hotel, but it was locked because of the time. The front desk wouldn't let her back in!!!! Instead he just kept telling me how the cab was waiting 10 mins!!

This is uncalled for!! I understand and was very grateful to the cab driver for waiting and compensated him well for it.

Things happen. I was not feeling well and we weren't even 10 mins late, as the front desk kept saying.

I ask management to please retrain this individual, as he is in the hospitality industry but yet was far from hospitable.

Otherwise I would give this 5 stars and ask that the washing machines be replaced.

Room Tip: Corner suites are usually bigger
Hello SusanLerner,

I was glad to hear that you had a great experience, but disappointed to read that one individual created a negative situation as you were departing the hotel. We value your input and appreciate your insight about the situation. We will certainly be reviewing this with the appropriate individual and conduct the necessary training to avoid situations of this type occurring again in the future. If I may be of any additional assistance please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at jeremy.mccluskey@marriott.com.

Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

This was our second family trip to Washington D.C. and we wanted to be just outside of D.C. but close to a Metro stop. This hotel is perfect for this! The property is in good condition and in a nice neighborhood. The Metro stop is about 5 minutes away. We had a 2 bedroom suite with a kitchen, which gave us a very good amount of space. The staff was friendly. On the down side, some of the furniture and bath fixtures were a bit worn, which kept the room from being perfect. The kitchen does not include an oven, so all cooking is stove top or microwave. The other thing you should know is that the hotel says it has a shuttle, but once there I learned that it only goes within 1 mile of the hotel. They don't pick you up from the airport. Still, Ronald Reagan airport is only 2 stops away on the Metro. The hotel room was very quiet and the beds were very comfortable. The pool is quite small, but we didn't come to the D.C. area to swim in a pool. Our 2 bedroom suite also had 2 bathrooms which is a huge benefit with a family.

Room Tip: Higher rooms will be quieter, and you can ask for a room that faces away from the street to be even...
Hello ColeQ,

I am glad to hear that you found our Two bedroom suites to be spacious and our accessibility to the metro was beneficial to your stay. We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and hope to see you again in the future.

Safe Travels!

Been to Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street? Share your experiences!