“Head down the street to Residence Inn Carlyle” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Head down the street to Residence Inn Carlyle”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We ended up staying here last minute when the Residence Inn Old Town Carlyle was fully booked. It was a less-than thrilling stay. We requested a baby bed for my daughter, and it took over an hour to get one (even with a few calls to the front desk). One of the main guys at the front desk seemed to be having a bad week and was always frowning. When we went to go into the parking garage (which is a hefty fee of $22 a night), our cards were not set up and we had to drive around the block to have the front desk fix it.

The rooms were adequate, but not great. The bathroom door was really tight and you basically had to kick it open; it also made a really loud noise each time I did this, so I woke my daughter up a few times, even though she was in the other room with the door closed.

The breakfast was just the typical continental breakfast that you would find at a lot of middle of the road hotels. Not a whole lot of fresh stuff or variety, and the food is mostly either under or overcooked.

Overall assessment: not miserable, but definitely not great.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Hello HaveBabyWillTravel,

We appreciate you staying at our hotel and sharing your comments about your experience. We will take your insights into account as we look to continuously improve our operation. I hope we may have an opportunity to host you again in the future and provide you with the great experience you expect from a Residence Inn by Marriott. Please feel free to contact me directly at jeremy.mccluskey@marriott.com if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Safe Travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I had to stay here for graduation. The first night we had bloody sheets on my little girl bed as I was getting it ready for her. They did change it. Our TV went out no one fixed it. My husband had to fix it. They only have 2 channels for kids and I will not come back here again. Please stay somewhere else if you're coming here.

• Stayed July 2014
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Hello Mrsjamescass,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I was disappointed to read some of the issues you had and welcome an opportunity to speak with you further about them. I can be reached via e-mail at jeremy.mccluskey@marriott.com.

Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights with my family. Great service, friendly staff, very attentive. Shuttle runs 1 mile around hotel, near Whole foods, 2 blocks, and 3 blocks from Metro. Not alot of restaurants nearby, but again, use shuttle or trolley on King Street, Hotel is somewhat dated, typical late 80's residence inn, but very clean and we were very pleased. We would stay there again.

Hello Andy H,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our property. We hope to have an opportunity to host you again in the future.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Overall everything was great, the accommodations, location, housekeeping and the two ladies at the front desk. The man working at the front desk on July 7, 2014 at 4am, however, was extremely rude and obnoxious.

The day before, Tanitia order a cab for us for July 7th at 4am. We received a call at 4:02am that the cab was there, fine. I was feeling ill, unfortunately. My daughter got down to the front desk at 4:07am. The man at the front desk said that the cab was waiting for 10 mins. After my daughter checked out, she looked at the elevator to see if I was coming, to which the front desk asked her with an attitude if she needed something else. Then he told her to go talk to the cab driver. I came down at 4:08am (I looked at the time after the front desk told me how the cab was waiting 10 mins already - rudely). My luggage was there and my daughter had been trying to get back into the hotel, but it was locked because of the time. The front desk wouldn't let her back in!!!! Instead he just kept telling me how the cab was waiting 10 mins!!

This is uncalled for!! I understand and was very grateful to the cab driver for waiting and compensated him well for it.

Things happen. I was not feeling well and we weren't even 10 mins late, as the front desk kept saying.

I ask management to please retrain this individual, as he is in the hospitality industry but yet was far from hospitable.

Otherwise I would give this 5 stars and ask that the washing machines be replaced.

Room Tip: Corner suites are usually bigger
Hello SusanLerner,

I was glad to hear that you had a great experience, but disappointed to read that one individual created a negative situation as you were departing the hotel. We value your input and appreciate your insight about the situation. We will certainly be reviewing this with the appropriate individual and conduct the necessary training to avoid situations of this type occurring again in the future. If I may be of any additional assistance please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at jeremy.mccluskey@marriott.com.

Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

This was our second family trip to Washington D.C. and we wanted to be just outside of D.C. but close to a Metro stop. This hotel is perfect for this! The property is in good condition and in a nice neighborhood. The Metro stop is about 5 minutes away. We had a 2 bedroom suite with a kitchen, which gave us a very good amount of space. The staff was friendly. On the down side, some of the furniture and bath fixtures were a bit worn, which kept the room from being perfect. The kitchen does not include an oven, so all cooking is stove top or microwave. The other thing you should know is that the hotel says it has a shuttle, but once there I learned that it only goes within 1 mile of the hotel. They don't pick you up from the airport. Still, Ronald Reagan airport is only 2 stops away on the Metro. The hotel room was very quiet and the beds were very comfortable. The pool is quite small, but we didn't come to the D.C. area to swim in a pool. Our 2 bedroom suite also had 2 bathrooms which is a huge benefit with a family.

Room Tip: Higher rooms will be quieter, and you can ask for a room that faces away from the street to be even...
Hello ColeQ,

I am glad to hear that you found our Two bedroom suites to be spacious and our accessibility to the metro was beneficial to your stay. We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and hope to see you again in the future.

Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on the way to our final driving destination. It was fine for a family of five (3 teen boys 14,16,18). The place is really in need of renovation. The chairs in the living area had "pleather" arms that were cracked all over. The mattress sunk a bit (not the usual firm bed from Marriott). Signs if wear and tear were throughout.

That being said, it had all we needed for a quick one night stay. We walked around the corner to a Whole Foods and bought everything we needed for dinner. Breakfast was included and was your typical hotel breakfast (eggs, sausage, toasts, muffins, fruits, cereal, etc).

On the way home, we will possibly try the Spring Hill suites in Alexandria. If we do, I'll review that one also.

• Stayed July 2014
Hello Emzaro,

We appreciate you input and feedback concerning your recent stay. We hope to see you again at some point in the future.

Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I have stayed at the Residence Inn on Duke Street near the Alexandria King Street Metro station over 75 times in the past 7-8 years. The hotel is 3 blocks from the metro station. It is also one block from Whole Foods, which has an excellent selection of ready-to-eat meals. I have used this store to purchase dinner many times.
The hotel has some of the friendliest and most capable staff in the DC area (including Najet, Tanitia, Elizabeth, Esmirelda, and others). As of June 2014, the hotel has new management. I certainly hope they retain all the great staff!
The best and quietest rooms are on the high floors in the back overlooking the National Cemetery.
I have stayed in over a dozen other hotels in the DC area for 20 years. I always consider this hotel to be HOME.

Room Tip: High floors on the back side overlooking the national cemetery.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Hello Ed C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. With the exception of myself and two other managers we intend to keep the same great staff that you have grown accustomed to at the Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street. If I may ever be of assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I hope we have an opportunity to meet in the near future.

Safe travels!