“Convenient to Metro and Sights, Family and Couple Friendly” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Gastonia, North Carolina, United States
“Convenient to Metro and Sights, Family and Couple Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Before my visit to Alexandria, I looked for an hotel in walking distance to the King Street Metro, restaurants and sights. This hotel was a good match. The location, room, and complimentary breakfast met or exceeded expectations. A helpful and friendly staff person offered exceptional service during check in and check out.

The Breakfast atmosphere was robust, full of families and couples grabbing breakfast before heading out to Alexandria and DC. I liked the atmosphere, service and location!

Unexpectedly, I found that the hotel was one half block from an upscale Whole Foods Store. My husband and I skipped the expensive Alexandria restaurants and ate two very satisfying meals there. They offered a full food bar, wine/beer bar and took orders for burgers and pizza. We liked that it was nearby, especially since we were staying in a suites hotel with a kitchen.

One block away, on Prince St, was a Crate and Barrel Outlet offering deeply discounted housewares. There aren't many outlets around, so this was a treat.

If you want an uninterrupted good night's sleep, I suggest you disable the refrigerator's ice maker which noisily dropped ice a few times during the night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Good Day Jane S.

I am happy to hear that you had such a wonderful experienece during your stay here at our Hotel. We are happy that you were able to experience some of our Hotel's ammenities including our delicious complementary breakfast as well as the great team that takes care of our guests during their stay. It sounds like you were also able to discover some nearby gems in the Wholefoods and the Crate and Barrel outlet. I know that the Whole Foods has been my destination for lunch on more then one occassion and it is alway delicious and convienent.

Again, thank you for your kind words regarding your stay and we hope that you will join us again in the future when you are in the area.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Korean first
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed 3 nights Friday to Monday. Wonderful stay the staff was great. They were always willing to assist. The housekeeper Daysi kept our room clean. A delicious breakfast buffet in the morning. The Metro 2 blocks away.. A Whole Food Grocery store 1 block away. The hotel offers a courtesy shuttle of a 1 mile radius. King Street close with many stores and restaurants. Also by the waterfront by King Street we took the water taxi for $8 one way to National Harbor MD which had nice restaurants and stores. Enjoyed our trip would definitely return. Great hotel and location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Good Day bluej725.

Thank you for taking the time to provide such great feedback regarding our Hotel. It sounds like you had a busy trip taking in all the sights here in Old-Town and also getting a chance to take the water taxi over the the National Harbor area which in and of itself is impressive. I will certainly be passing along your kind words to your Housekeeper as well as the team in our breakfast area. Thank you again for sharing some of your experiences and we hope that you will join us again as a guest soon.

pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Usual Marriott standards made this an enjoyable stay. The happy hour with ample food was an extra treat for us weary travelers. The beds were so comfortable as we always expect from Marriott; the room nice and large. Service very good and a good location -- a little pricey when you add in the parking, but a good choice for a short visit to Alexandria.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Good Day Candyer. I wanted to let you know how much the team here at the Hotel appreciates your kind words regarding your recent stay. I am glad that after a long day of traveling and perhaps some sightseeing you were able to relax and enjoy our complementary evening social and then get a great night's rest in our beds. Again, we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will join us again the next time you are in town.

Syracuse, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I have stayed at this Inn before and like it very much. The 1 bedroom is comfortable and clean. The kids enjoyed the pool and the breakfast was very good. The staff is very helpfu. It is so convienent to the sights and Rte 95. There are also stores nearby so we could have eaten in by choice. I know I will return.

Room Tip: I try to get our rooms near to each other. They did not honor this,disappointing.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Good Day JudithG. Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your recent stay at our Hotel. We are thrilled that you and your guests were able to enjoy our breakfast and then also take some time to relax in the pool. I would like to apologize as it seems we were unable to honor your request for rooms nearby during the stay and for that I apologize.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your return.

Edwin P
Chesterfield, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We recently stayed overnight in this hotel on a weekend trip with friends. We booked adjoining rooms - a request that is often not honored anymore, so that was great. The location of this hotel is AWESOME. Just a couple blocks from King Street, this hotel is really convenient if you want to take in some of Old Towne. They also have a courtesy shuttle which runs within a mile of the hotel up until 8pm.
Another perk, was that the breakfast area was very large - and it's a good thing, because it was PACKED! The breakfast was just average, but the staff kept everything filled. On the downside, the appliances - toasters, etc. were antiquated and barely functioning - I watched a woman make three successive attempts to toast a slice of bread in the toaster, but it barely warmed it. It was just old. This was unfortunately a theme in the hotel and the biggest problem.

Our room was a one bedroom suite. It was clean enough, but the minute we entered you could smell a musty, moldy smell. I immediately became congested and stayed that way for the entirety of our stay. As we unpacked some of our things, I went to open the curtains only to find an enormous dead roach behind them. My husband called housekeeping to let them know, but they just said, "Thank you for letting us know." (?)

After our first foray out on the town, we came back to our rooms to find that our bathroom toilet had broken and was running continuously. This prompted a late-night visit from mainenance. The gentleman did quickly repair the issue and was very courteous, but it just felt kind of "icky." Our room also stayed stuffy and clammy all night long.

All in all, it is a tough call whether we would stay here again. The shuttle makes the location a plus over the Residence Inn on Carlylse, but this hotel desperately needs attention.

Room Tip: Pets are only allowed on the lower floors, so book higher if you want to avoid them.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Good Day Pinkparadox. I wanted to thank you for the feedback from your recent stay here at our Hotel. We always strive to ensure our guests have an enjoyable and issue free stay during their time with us at the Hotel. Unfortunately, in this instance it sounds as though we may have fell short of your expectations. We have in the last week addressed the situation with our toasters and their functionality. Also, I will be speaking with our Housekeeping department and their leadership to ensure issues such as those in your suite do not happen again. Our Engineering team prides themselves on maintaining our rooms so that issues such as the one with your toilet do not occur, however, I do want to apologize again that altought is was fixed, this left you with an uneasy feeling during the stay.

All of these issues certainly do not live up to the Marriott standard or those standards we have at our Hotel. I want to be sure and make these negative occurences right by you and ask if you could please contact me directly at the Hotel so we can speak further.

Hotel Main Phone: 703.548.5474

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I scored this on Priceline and couldn't have been happier! Huge suit with all the comforts of home (even a jar of candies on the coffee table). I arrived a little late, so I missed the complementary small supper but did get to enjoy the breakfast buffet. The location couldn't be beat; steps away from the Metro station and all the sights of Alexandria are near by. Every person I spoke to did their up-most to ensure that I had a pleasant stay. Words can't describe how pleased I was with this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Good Day Grizinator. Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay at our Hotel. We are glad to hear you were able to get a great deal through Priceline. I am sorry to hear that you were not able to take advantage of our complementary evening social but it sounds like our location met your needs perfectly. Thank you again for taking the time to share some of your experiences and we hope that you will come see us again the next time you are in the Alexandria area.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Arranged to meet family in DC area to tour the Mall. Found this hotel on Trip Advisor, noted the great reviews. Hotel did not disappoint; in fact, now that I have been there, I thought the reviews understated the amazing customer service, fantastic location, amenities, cleanliness and overall quality of the hotel. Each and every staff member went out of their way to assist us; folks who provided the glowing reviews of the hotel staff were right on the money - they were awesome. We stayed in a one room suite; queen size bed in bedroom-bathroom area and a seperate living room area with pull-out couch (in case you make spouse angry or snore famously). Full kitchen with large fridge (Whole Foods grocery store about a block away, so you won't forget how to cook or clean dishes while on vacation:-), stove, microwave, dishwasher, coffee pot, dishes, towels, etc. Complimentary breakfast every day and, Mon-Thursday, a complimentary dinner and drink. Free wifi with room (thank you very much), and a shuttle if you ate (or drank) too much to waddle the block or so to the metro (15-20 min on Blue line to Mall) or King Street (where all the stores, restaurants, bars, etc are located). In-laws had a two-room suite, which was also very nice, and extremely spacious. Honestly, I cannot say enough good things about this hotel, which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Room Tip: We loved the suite with the large kitchen area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Hello ChrisVaBeachVa. Thank you so much for taking the time to share some of your great experiences during your recent stay in our Hotel. It sounds to me like you and your family had a great trip and enjoyed your sightseeing in DC. Our team at the Hotel is happy you were able to experience so many of our great ammenities like the breakfast, evening social hour, complementary shuttle, and last but not least the team here at our Hotel. We value our guests contributions to TripAdvisor and want to thank you for providing us with such a glowing review. Hopefully we will see you and your family during your next visit to the DC area.

Assistant General Manager

Been to Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street? Share your experiences!