“Great hotel and good location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Up to 25% in No. VA
Ranked #12 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Chesterfield, Michigan
“Great hotel and good location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on 2 occasions when I found it during a business trip. It was in driving distance to Ft Belvoir and was easy to get to from the highway or one of the backroads when I needed to avoid traffic which there is alot in this area. The hotel itself has standard rooms you find at any residence inn and the views are nothing special. They come equipment with full kitchens, good beds and decent couch. The shower is large. It is in walking distance of a few restaurants and has a convient parking garage. The hotel always seemed fulled and each morning breakfast was very busy.

Hotel staff were great. Friendly and professional they were always able to answer my questions and offer good advice.

My first stay was for business and then family when I came back to visit an old army buddy. My wife really enjoyed a local filipino grocery and restaurant and just added to our experience. We were also in town to try and catch the cherry tree festival but a recent cold front delayed them.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Hi Warsnake66, thank you for the feedback from your recent stay here with us in Old-Town. I am glad you were able to discover some short-cuts to get to Fort Belvoir and avoid some of the famous DC traffic. Also, I hope your wife was able to pick up something delicious from her visit to the nearby Filipino grocery store as I know they have a lot of tasty finds. I will be sharing your kind words regarding the staff and your other feedback about our Hotel ammenities during our next team meeting. Thank you again for taking the time to share some of your experiences and we hope that you will join us again the next time you are in the area.

472 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Korean first
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Great hotel for the price and location. We chose to stay here for our trip to DC. Had a wonderful suite for three nights for what DC would have cost us for one. Walking distance to Metro, or they will shuttle you over. Hotel had great free breakfast with daily menu change. Not just the usual bagels and cold cereal, but honest to goodness hot breakfast. All of the staff were nice and friendly. Loved seeing the same guy every morning, vacuuming with a smile and hearty "Good Morning". You can spend one day of your trip exploring this fantastic area of Alexandria. The free King street trolley makes it easy to navigate the long street filled with shopping and dining. Would definitely stay here again! Best place to stay if traveling with children, a mini home with kitchen and separate sleeping areas and pool for entertainment and winding down.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Donna K, thank you for such great comments regarding your recent stay with us; it sounds like it was a busy trip. I am glad to hear you were able to fuel up for a big day of exploring DC and Old-Town at our breakfast and also that you were given such a warm greating each day by our team member working in the lobby. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you and your family again in the near future the next time you are visiting the area.

Shelby Township, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This hotel was very nice and in a good location for the price. The staff was excellent and answered all of our questions. There is a shuttle that will take guests to the Metro as well as anything within a mile radius including King Street which is helpful if you don't want to walk to the downtown area.

There were a couple of things we were not thrilled with and one was stains and wear on some of the furniture in the living room as well as a missing foot stool. Additionally the business center is a little limited in nature.

The breakfast and manager's happy hour were well done and we enjoyed the food. Though we would have like more fresh food options, it was well appointed and the staff was helpful. We also liked the fact that the lobby offered local newspapers and coffee 24/7.

The staff here however was very, very helpful in so many ways and made this a very, very enjoyable stay. We also liked the close access to Whole Foods a block away so that we could buy groceries and prepare them ourselves.

Room Tip: We stayed in a one bedroom end unit suite that was the last room in the hotel at the end of a rather...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Hi CarrieMI2013, thank you so much for taking the time to share some feedback from your recent stay with us. We are glad you were able to take advantage of our Hotel shuttle as I know it can be a life saver after a long day of walking and site seeing. The pleasure and comfort of our guests is paramount to us and your feedback regarding some of the suggestions regarding your suite will help us in addressing focus areas. Lastly, thank you for all of your praise regarding our staff here at the Hotel as they are what we consider to be our best ammenity! Thank you again for your kind words and hopefully we will see you again the next time you are in the D.C. area.

Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

First, if you are looking for a boutique hotel equipped with the latest, stylish amenities, this is not it. If you are looking looking for a place to call "home" for several weeks, or are a family visiting the D.C. area for several days and looking for a perfect base camp, I can think of no finer hotel in Old Town Alexandria.
Location - Only 2-3 blocks from the King Street Washington Metro stop (servicing the Blue and Yellow lines), the hotel is effectively less than 30 minutes travel time (foot and train) to the National Mall and Smithsonian Museums (Yellow line goes direct to L'Enfant Plaza, which is next to the Air and Space Museum). The shops and restaurants of Old Town Alexandria are a 20-30 min walk. If you don't want to walk, there is a complementary shuttle that will take you within "1 mile" of the hotel, though this effectively means any of the principal restaurants in Old Town between Queen St and Duke Street all the way to the Waterfront.
Amenities - Every room is a "suite" with full (if small) kitchen that includes a two-burner electric stove, full size refrigerator, freezer with ice maker, dishwasher and full complement of utensils, pots, pans, dishes and glasses. However, if you plan to stay a while and actually cook (which I did extensively), you will probably need to buy some actual cooking utensils that will stand up to heat (Crate and Barrell sells wooden utensils at the factory outlet store, which is a block away towards the King Street Metro). Many of the rooms are actual two-room suites, with a separate bedroom and a pull-out queen-size sofa bed (which I slept on when my parents visited - it was actually reasonably comfortable for a sofa bed). There is a full breakfast every morning, and Mon through Thurs there is a light meal served with two complementary drinks (red/white wine or Budweiser beer). Good coffee is available seemingly all the time in the lobby. Again, perfect for business/govt travel or travel with kids when you are looking to save some money. Parking is available onsite in a garage, though at $18/day it is a tad on the expensive side. Then again, good luck finding parking anywhere in Old Town for much less - the on street parking is either metered, or you require a pass; one thing that is ruthlessly efficient in Old Town is the parking enforcement (and their contract towing companies).
Staff - Superstars all around. Catherine and Katie, who never seemed to leave, always had a smile and great attitude that never failed to improve mine. Warm, inviting and friendly, I did not come across a single staff member who did not impress me. This is a very well managed hotel, with a professional staff that goes the extra mile.

Room Tip: Rooms on the "far side" of the hotel (40's, eg 549/650/etc) have a good view of the Wa...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Hello 96Wahoo, thank you so much for giving such wonderful and insightful feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Making our Hotel your "home" while you were here was our absolute goal and it looks like we succeeded. I could not have given a better description of our various ammenities if I had written it myself. What an informative and honest review of your stay from the Hotel's location here in Old-Town to the advice regarding Alexandria's parking regulations. Also, thank you for taking the time to recognize two of our outstanding desk clerks Katie and Christine; I will be sharing your kind words with them soon. Again, thank you so much for a great review of your time here and we hope that you will join us again next time you are in the area.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We just spent 10 days at this hotel and it was wonderful. The hotel is ideal if you have small kids. We stayed in a 2-bedroom suite and it was perfect for us. The staff is wonderful. Every single person we encountered greeted us and offered assistance. The location is great. A 10 min walk to the Metro and an even shorter walk to King Street in Old Town. A block away from Whole Foods, though the hotel offers to do the grocery shopping for you at no additional charge.
We had a great stay!

• Stayed July 2013
Hello YJT, the Hotel staff and I are so thrilled you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us. We love hosting families and are always pleased when we can make sure children staying with us feel at home. We are glad that you took advantage of our in-room grocery shopping and hopefully were able to whip up something delicious in your suite! Thank you again for your kind words and we hope that you will join us again the next time you are staying in Alexandria.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Overall, this is a quality hotel with a superb location to get out of the hustle and bustle of DC. I would definitely stay here again.

Pros:

1. Only two blocks from the King St. Metro stop with complimentary shuttle service to and from.
2. Easy walking distance to the wide variety of eateries along King St. and in Old Towne.
3. 15-20 minute Metro ride to put you in the heart of DC sightseeing and attractions.
4. Exceptionally friendly staff from the front desk to the maintenance and support employees throughout the building.
5. Secure, adjacent indoor parking.
6. A block and a half from the Whole Foods supermarket.
7. Plentiful and varied breakfast buffet.
8. Coffee and iced water in the lobby at all times.

Cons (not really negatives, but some thoughts about things that I think might be improved):

1. There are no in-room safes to lock valuables. You must use the safe deposit boxes at the front desk with the caveat that there is a $150 charge if you lose the key. I didn't want to lock up some small valuables and then still be responsible for a key as I walked throughout DC. Most of the other hotels I've used, including much less expensive ones, have an in-room safe.
2. A photo on the hotel's website shows a four burner stove with an oven. I checked in, threw my bags in the room and went to Whole Foods to buy a pizza with the thought of bringing it back to my room to keep warm in the oven. That's when I realized I had only a two-burner stovetop with no oven. (Please, don't suggest that the microwave makes up for this. It does not!) Not a major thing but it would have been nice for this to have been clarified at check-in.
3. I brought a few DVD's with me to watch in the room. No DVD player! There was an option to purchase movies ($17.98 for a first run movie) but I thought I would be able to watch my own.
4. Finally, everyone carries an iPod, iPhone or iSomething these days. A nice touch would be for some inexpensive docking station so guests could listen to music in their rooms. I've had this in some other hotels and it was a very nice touch.

None of the above are deal breakers, however, and this is a great hotel with a great staff and a terrific location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you so very much for taking a moment to share some of your comments regarding your recent stay with us at our Hotel. We obviously are able to provide our guests with great ammenities such as our location to various location attractions and our breakfast. However, we are always most pleased when our guests are able to enjoy our best ammenity, all of our staff here at our Hotel. Also, I do appreciate your feedback regarding some of your thoughts for improvement here at the Hotel. We are always looking for areas we can focus on in order to provide our guests with a more enjoyable experience and your words will help point us in the right direction. Thank you again for your kind words and we hope you will join us again soon here in Old-Town.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Two blocks from a metro stop, a short walk to downtown Old Town, Whole Foods a block away ( wine tastings on wednesday evenings). The rooms and common areas are a bit worn, but the service and managers reception make up for that. The free shuttle will take you anywhere within 1 mile. There is free night street parking behind the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share some of your impressions of our Hotel. We are always looking for ways to improve our guests' experiences and your input will go a long way in assisting us. Hopefully you will join us again as a guest the next time you are in the Washington D.C. area.

Assistant General Manager

Been to Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street? Share your experiences!