“Comfortable, convenient hotel, perfect for vacation or business” 4 of 5 stars

Free Internet + Breakfast
Ranked #17 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brussels, Belgium
“Comfortable, convenient hotel, perfect for vacation or business”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

First, if you are looking for a boutique hotel equipped with the latest, stylish amenities, this is not it. If you are looking looking for a place to call "home" for several weeks, or are a family visiting the D.C. area for several days and looking for a perfect base camp, I can think of no finer hotel in Old Town Alexandria.
Location - Only 2-3 blocks from the King Street Washington Metro stop (servicing the Blue and Yellow lines), the hotel is effectively less than 30 minutes travel time (foot and train) to the National Mall and Smithsonian Museums (Yellow line goes direct to L'Enfant Plaza, which is next to the Air and Space Museum). The shops and restaurants of Old Town Alexandria are a 20-30 min walk. If you don't want to walk, there is a complementary shuttle that will take you within "1 mile" of the hotel, though this effectively means any of the principal restaurants in Old Town between Queen St and Duke Street all the way to the Waterfront.
Amenities - Every room is a "suite" with full (if small) kitchen that includes a two-burner electric stove, full size refrigerator, freezer with ice maker, dishwasher and full complement of utensils, pots, pans, dishes and glasses. However, if you plan to stay a while and actually cook (which I did extensively), you will probably need to buy some actual cooking utensils that will stand up to heat (Crate and Barrell sells wooden utensils at the factory outlet store, which is a block away towards the King Street Metro). Many of the rooms are actual two-room suites, with a separate bedroom and a pull-out queen-size sofa bed (which I slept on when my parents visited - it was actually reasonably comfortable for a sofa bed). There is a full breakfast every morning, and Mon through Thurs there is a light meal served with two complementary drinks (red/white wine or Budweiser beer). Good coffee is available seemingly all the time in the lobby. Again, perfect for business/govt travel or travel with kids when you are looking to save some money. Parking is available onsite in a garage, though at $18/day it is a tad on the expensive side. Then again, good luck finding parking anywhere in Old Town for much less - the on street parking is either metered, or you require a pass; one thing that is ruthlessly efficient in Old Town is the parking enforcement (and their contract towing companies).
Staff - Superstars all around. Catherine and Katie, who never seemed to leave, always had a smile and great attitude that never failed to improve mine. Warm, inviting and friendly, I did not come across a single staff member who did not impress me. This is a very well managed hotel, with a professional staff that goes the extra mile.

Room Tip: Rooms on the "far side" of the hotel (40's, eg 549/650/etc) have a good view of the Wa...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Hello 96Wahoo, thank you so much for giving such wonderful and insightful feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Making our Hotel your "home" while you were here was our absolute goal and it looks like we succeeded. I could not have given a better description of our various ammenities if I had written it myself. What an informative and honest review of your stay from the Hotel's location here in Old-Town to the advice regarding Alexandria's parking regulations. Also, thank you for taking the time to recognize two of our outstanding desk clerks Katie and Christine; I will be sharing your kind words with them soon. Again, thank you so much for a great review of your time here and we hope that you will join us again next time you are in the area.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

We just spent 10 days at this hotel and it was wonderful. The hotel is ideal if you have small kids. We stayed in a 2-bedroom suite and it was perfect for us. The staff is wonderful. Every single person we encountered greeted us and offered assistance. The location is great. A 10 min walk to the Metro and an even shorter walk to King Street in Old Town. A block away from Whole Foods, though the hotel offers to do the grocery shopping for you at no additional charge.
We had a great stay!

• Stayed July 2013
Hello YJT, the Hotel staff and I are so thrilled you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us. We love hosting families and are always pleased when we can make sure children staying with us feel at home. We are glad that you took advantage of our in-room grocery shopping and hopefully were able to whip up something delicious in your suite! Thank you again for your kind words and we hope that you will join us again the next time you are staying in Alexandria.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Overall, this is a quality hotel with a superb location to get out of the hustle and bustle of DC. I would definitely stay here again.

Pros:

1. Only two blocks from the King St. Metro stop with complimentary shuttle service to and from.
2. Easy walking distance to the wide variety of eateries along King St. and in Old Towne.
3. 15-20 minute Metro ride to put you in the heart of DC sightseeing and attractions.
4. Exceptionally friendly staff from the front desk to the maintenance and support employees throughout the building.
5. Secure, adjacent indoor parking.
6. A block and a half from the Whole Foods supermarket.
7. Plentiful and varied breakfast buffet.
8. Coffee and iced water in the lobby at all times.

Cons (not really negatives, but some thoughts about things that I think might be improved):

1. There are no in-room safes to lock valuables. You must use the safe deposit boxes at the front desk with the caveat that there is a $150 charge if you lose the key. I didn't want to lock up some small valuables and then still be responsible for a key as I walked throughout DC. Most of the other hotels I've used, including much less expensive ones, have an in-room safe.
2. A photo on the hotel's website shows a four burner stove with an oven. I checked in, threw my bags in the room and went to Whole Foods to buy a pizza with the thought of bringing it back to my room to keep warm in the oven. That's when I realized I had only a two-burner stovetop with no oven. (Please, don't suggest that the microwave makes up for this. It does not!) Not a major thing but it would have been nice for this to have been clarified at check-in.
3. I brought a few DVD's with me to watch in the room. No DVD player! There was an option to purchase movies ($17.98 for a first run movie) but I thought I would be able to watch my own.
4. Finally, everyone carries an iPod, iPhone or iSomething these days. A nice touch would be for some inexpensive docking station so guests could listen to music in their rooms. I've had this in some other hotels and it was a very nice touch.

None of the above are deal breakers, however, and this is a great hotel with a great staff and a terrific location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you so very much for taking a moment to share some of your comments regarding your recent stay with us at our Hotel. We obviously are able to provide our guests with great ammenities such as our location to various location attractions and our breakfast. However, we are always most pleased when our guests are able to enjoy our best ammenity, all of our staff here at our Hotel. Also, I do appreciate your feedback regarding some of your thoughts for improvement here at the Hotel. We are always looking for areas we can focus on in order to provide our guests with a more enjoyable experience and your words will help point us in the right direction. Thank you again for your kind words and we hope you will join us again soon here in Old-Town.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Two blocks from a metro stop, a short walk to downtown Old Town, Whole Foods a block away ( wine tastings on wednesday evenings). The rooms and common areas are a bit worn, but the service and managers reception make up for that. The free shuttle will take you anywhere within 1 mile. There is free night street parking behind the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share some of your impressions of our Hotel. We are always looking for ways to improve our guests' experiences and your input will go a long way in assisting us. Hopefully you will join us again as a guest the next time you are in the Washington D.C. area.

Winter Park, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

If there had been a focus group to envision my perfect hotel and room - this hotel hit the mark.
The lobby is just right. Check in went quickly and friendly. Nice touches with delicious coffee service and ice water. ( like the creamers)
My bedroom was so inviting and well laid out. Loved the color scheme. Room smelled and looked 100% clean. The kitchen was great. Used the shuttle service a couple times- terrific feature. Very reliable and friendly driver. Luggage room was a breeze to use.
Sofa in the studio was comfortable both ways, to sit on and folded out.
Liked the sheers and back out drapes. Very handsome room. Could live here for a long time.
Really liked having the little market for "hungries" anytime.
More hotels should be like this one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you so much for providing such wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay here with us. Obviously during your stay you were able to experience so many of the great things that make our Hotel so special from our Front Desk team at check-in to the Shuttle Drivers while exploring Old-Town. Please be assured all of your comments will be shared with our entire team during our next Hotel staff meeting. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to share some of your experiences here at our Hotel and we hope you will join us again as a guest soon.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I decided to go to Alexandria for the weekend and chose the Residence Inn. We got in early and unable to Checkin right away. The front desk offered to store our luggage and gave us an approx time for our room. We had a great room. Very clean!!! And very well kept. The staff was always friendly anytime they saw guests. I would recommend this hotel anytime.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding our Hotel. We are always so happy when guests can come and enjoy all that our Hotel has to offer, especially the great team members that work here. As always, I will be sure to share your kind words with the staff and we hope that you will join us again as a guest soon.

Warner Robins, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed here recently for a business trip and brought the family. The hotel rooms are very spacious and clean and we had a room on the top floor at the end of the hall, with a good view and windows facing two directions. The hotel was very quiet, except that we would occasionally hear noises from work being done next door. Many of the rooms have doors between the bedroom and livingroom area. It was nice because there was a TV in the bedroom and another one in the livingroom. Breakfast and Manager's reception were both pretty good and offered a decent variety of food. The shuttle service is great and they will take you anywhere within a mile radius of the hotel. I thought the front desk staff was very friendly and it was an especially nice touch that they gave us Residence Inn small stuffed bears for the kids. I would definitely stay here again and I recommended the hotel to one of my co-workers, who will be in Alexandria soon. The hotel is close to the Metro station to DC and is also close to Mt. Vernon area.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. Our room was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at our Hotel. I am thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful stay and were able to enjoy all our Hotel has to offer. My team and I are especially happy your children were able to enjoy our Residence Inn teddy bears which we love to provide to ensure they have a memorable stay while visiting the area. Again, thank you for your kind words and we hope that you will join us again the next time you are in the DC area.

Assistant General Manager

Been to Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street? Share your experiences!