“Excellent location & wonderful staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Excellent location & wonderful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I decided to go to Alexandria for the weekend and chose the Residence Inn. We got in early and unable to Checkin right away. The front desk offered to store our luggage and gave us an approx time for our room. We had a great room. Very clean!!! And very well kept. The staff was always friendly anytime they saw guests. I would recommend this hotel anytime.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding our Hotel. We are always so happy when guests can come and enjoy all that our Hotel has to offer, especially the great team members that work here. As always, I will be sure to share your kind words with the staff and we hope that you will join us again as a guest soon.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Korean first
Warner Robins, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed here recently for a business trip and brought the family. The hotel rooms are very spacious and clean and we had a room on the top floor at the end of the hall, with a good view and windows facing two directions. The hotel was very quiet, except that we would occasionally hear noises from work being done next door. Many of the rooms have doors between the bedroom and livingroom area. It was nice because there was a TV in the bedroom and another one in the livingroom. Breakfast and Manager's reception were both pretty good and offered a decent variety of food. The shuttle service is great and they will take you anywhere within a mile radius of the hotel. I thought the front desk staff was very friendly and it was an especially nice touch that they gave us Residence Inn small stuffed bears for the kids. I would definitely stay here again and I recommended the hotel to one of my co-workers, who will be in Alexandria soon. The hotel is close to the Metro station to DC and is also close to Mt. Vernon area.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. Our room was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at our Hotel. I am thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful stay and were able to enjoy all our Hotel has to offer. My team and I are especially happy your children were able to enjoy our Residence Inn teddy bears which we love to provide to ensure they have a memorable stay while visiting the area. Again, thank you for your kind words and we hope that you will join us again the next time you are in the DC area.

Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

A perfectly located hotel for visiting Alexandria as well as DC. It is a short walk to King Street and the metro stop as well as the free trolley that takes you all the way down to the waterfront.

The front desk personnel were friendly and efficient and check-in was quick. They were also very helpful with directions to places we were interested in and how to get there. No car is needed to go anywhere in the area.

Our suite was large with a compact kitchen containing everything you need if you want to cook something. The refrigerator was full size if you need the space for drinks or snacks. Kitchen came with complimentary coffee, tea, and microwave popcorn.

Queen bed was very comfortable with lots of pillows. A sofa bed was in the living room. A flat screen TV was in both rooms. Bathroom had a separate dressing area with sink and closet. Adequate toiletries.

Wifi was free and worked fine. Parking was in a parking garage that was secure. Pool is inside the hotel and has a lifeguard and a pool lift for the handicapped. One poster said the pool was not open during the day. We used it both Sat. and Sun. during the day for a quick dip. Maybe it is only open on the weekend during the day? Don't know about that.

Breakfast was great with lots of choices and had a large seating area. It was full when we went in but turnover was constant so we didn't have to wait but a few minutes for a table.

The hotel is nicer than others we have stayed at in the same price range in the DC area and provides more for your money. The great location doesn't hurt, either. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you so much for review of our Hotel. We are so thrilled that you were able to enjoy all of the wonderful ammenities of our Hotel and the surrounding area here in Old-Town. The team at this Hotel genuinely prides itself on their ability to go out of our way to ensure each guest has a memorable experience and we are glad you no exception. Your kind words about the Hotel will certainly be shared with the team during our next meeting. We hope we will have the opportunity to host you again the next time you are in town!

Lees Summit, Mo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is a good hotel in a great location but has little to no service. It is about the same price as h Embassy Suites in old town but ghat hotel does have some level of service. The breakfast was good and the rooms are a nice size. Overall you get a better deal at the Embassy Suites with a little better location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at our Hotel. We are glad to hear you were able to enjoy our breakfast as well as your suite. I am however dissapointed to hear that you were unable to experience one of our best Hotel ammenities, our staff. We pride ourselves in having a great team here that always goes out of their way to serve our guests. However, in this instance we fell short of your expectations and for that I apologize. We hope that you enjoyed the rest of our Hotel and that we may see you again in the future.

Davidson, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I agree with many of the other reviews. A standard Residence Inn experience, which I have found more than passable when traveling with family. I have stayed here on other trips when visiting an office across the street.

For starters, we had a superb customer service experience with Katie at the registration desk. I was delayed 7 hours in another city, and only arrived very late in the evening. I was able to call ahead and let Katie know that my family was arriving on their own, would be there before me, and request help in getting them settled, in spite of the fact that I was the registered guest. Katie was not only professional, courteous and responsive to me, but my wife and children could not stop gushing about how friendly and welcoming "Miss Katie" was when they checked in. She recognized our family throughout our stay and was always friendly. Which was why I didn't want to bother her about the bizarre pool rules, and our personal negative experience.

First, the pool is not open between 10 AM and 4 PM, so if you are traveling with a family and someone in the party is working during the day while others are seeing the sites, don't count on being able to bring the kids back to the pool until after 4. Worse, don't count on them being able to hang in the pool for the day at all between 10 and 4, which is a big selling point of most hotels for our kids.

Second, this pool has a lifeguard. I am platinum elite with Marriott and silver with Hilton, so I travel a lot (it works out to about two nights each week). I have never seen a hotel pool with a lifeguard...until the Residence Inn Old Town Alexandria - Duke Street. Fine. A little different I thought, but how could it hurt. Well, after about 20 minutes of swimming, my son swallowed a mouthful of water and began coughing it up. The lifeguard ran over to attend to him. Given that this is not an uncommon occurence with kids swimming, and given that I was sitting right there, I thought the attention was overkill.

After he "recovered," the lifeguard came over to me and said that unless my son had a flotation device, he could not remain in the pool because "he can't swim." We had a brief discussion about the merits and drawbacks of one another's positions on this matter, until the lifeguard insisted that unless my son passed the "swim test," he could not remain in the pool. I asked what the swim test was, and she said it was swimming from one end of the pool to the other unaided, whcih she had sat and watched him do a dozen or so times in 20 minutes.

Anyway...to make a long story only slightly less boring, I concluded that it was not worth arguing with a kid doing what she thought was her job at a hotel pool, and took the kids back to the room. This was not a cataclysmic event in our lives, but it seemed strange all around. A hotel pool with a swim test? Is this Camp Marriott?

To conclude, Katie was a delight, we didn't want to bother her with this petty disappointment and so we never brought up with anyone. I did email the GM after we left - as his checkout form letter attached to the folio asked that I do - and never heard back. My position is that while it is highly weird that a Residence Inn has a lifeguard, and - evidently - a swim test (which they administer after the swimmer has been in the water for 20 minutes), these are things that are their policy choices. Knowing them now, I will not return to this hotel. But, I do think that it is dishonest for the hotel not to list the pool schedule on the website. We would not have reserved this hotel and would have stayed closer to the tourist action in DC had we known that the kids would not have access to the pool all day. If you are traveling with kids who love swimming in the pool as much as they love the Spy Museum, there are better options in and around DC, including with Marriott.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RIOldTownManager, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear OTR-WithTheKids :

Thank you for your comments...they are all greatly appreciated. We apologize about the confusion with the pool and the lifeguard. The responsibility is ours alone. We are pleased to let you know that your feedback was escalated to our Lifeguard management company...and appropriate changes were immediately made. We are also working with Marriott to address the correct posting of our swim times on the website. The pool hours are posted in the elevators, guest rooms and outside the pool entrance, however we agree that an additional posting on the website is helpful.

We'd also like to thank you for your comments about the staff, particularly Katie. We will make sure to share with her and the team. I apologize about not receiving your email when you departed the hotel. I enjoy receiving emails from the many guests that respond to my letter, and regret that I did not see one from you.

Thank you for staying with us - we hope we have a chance to serve you in the future. If you'd like, I can also be reached at 703-548-5474.

Have a terrific summer,

M Wilson (General Manager)
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is your standard Marriott Residence Inn property. The staff was friendly and efficient. There is self-parking on location ($18 for 24 hours). The location is in Old Town Alexandria, which is a worthwhile stop for shopping and restaurants. If Washington DC is your destination, then this hotel works well. You are 2 blocks from the King Street Metro station. The neighborhood is safe and the walk is easy. You can probably save a little money on DC hotels by staying here in Alexandria. This location will still provide you easy access to the Capitol.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay with us. The Hotel team and I are delighted that you were able to take advantage of some of our great ammenities specifically our location close to the Metro. Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope that you will join us again the next time you are in the area.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Love this hotel. Service and staff are impeccable. Friendly and courteous atmosphere. Location is wonderful. Trails, shops, food snd sights.
Our suite was quiet and amenities superb. Wifi connection jumps around alot though.
Don't forget to compliment and thank those who serve here.

• Stayed July 2013
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you so very much for taking a moment to share some of your comments regarding your recent stay with us at our Hotel. We obviously are able to provide our guests with great ammenities such as our location to various location attractions and our breakfast. However, we are always most pleased when our guests are able to enjoy our best ammenity, the team members here at the Hotel. Also, I do appreciate your feedback regarding our high-speed internet access. We are currently working towards a solution to upgrade our system in order to provide our guests with the best most consistent access possible. Thank you again for your kind words and we hope you will join us again soon here in Old-Town.

Assistant General Manager

Been to Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street? Share your experiences!